Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee vs Louisville
Milwaukee 55 70.51%
Louisville 23 29.49%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 08:49 PM

5 posts, read 3,959 times

Advertisements

Globally BOTH are nothing cities.

In America both belong to different regions.

In their respective regions Lousiville comes out on top here.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:58 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon's Brando View Post

GLOBALLY, only a handful of US cities are more than nothing. There's that, too. Not quite sure what region you're putting Louisville into, but if they were in the same region, Milwaukee would come out on top.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:13 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon's Brando View Post

How so? Both cities appear to rank similarly within their respective regions.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:57 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Interesting statistic that made me think of this:

Milwaukee's CSA which contains more than 2 million people, actually covers over 100 sq mi less land area than Louisville's MSA.

Milwaukee's peer cities really are those in the 2 million range. OMB formulas make it feel artificially smaller on paper. It's also a pretty good indicator of why Milwaukee feels so much larger than Louisville.

Louisville's CSA is 1.5 Million. And the problem with looking at CSAs is it incorporates a bunch of nothing farmland.

How can a mod sit here and act like they are playing fair and compare one city's CSA to another MSA? Further upthread you were saying Louisville only had 13 B in development over 5.5 years when I clearly showed a list showing every penny from 2014-2017. You then claimed a majority of that was "infrastructure" when I showed under 25% was infrastructure. Louisville has had repeated years of multi billion dollar investment in the one square mile of downtown alone....and I'll readily admit downtown is NOT Louisville's strength (though it may be in 10 years as we are now rapidly seeing surface lot infill in areas destroyed by the Great Flood of 1937).

I very REGULARLY see people on here say Louisville and Omaha "feel similar." Similar tiers, etc. Yet, Louisivlle is OVER 500k bigger than Omaha in CSA. It's closer to Omaha in feel according to you gurus yet its closer in size to Milwaukee?

Louisville even has nearly a billion in development in the works in the GHETTO:

https://www.louisville.com/content/w...-neighborhoods

*** Passport is restarting work on their now over 100 M HQ since they have been bought by Evolent

Give me a break. The city of Louisville is so rapidly transforming and the buzz is building but we have so many people here in complete denial. I could list so much development it will make your mind spin.

Just like Omaha and Louisville can be compared, Milwaukee and Louisville are very comparable. As someone said above, at the end of the day, these are under 2 million mid sized cities. None are world cities. Milwaukee and Louisville are great in different ways. I really have to credit Milwaukee for what they have done. I really feel like Milwaukee is Louisville's Midwest twin. These are two cities with great development, underrated, who are investing in their cultural amenities. They are very very very similar, right down to their waterfront music festivals and love of arts, festivals, and food.

Last edited by Peter1948; 08-06-2019 at 10:06 PM..

Old 08-06-2019, 10:01 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville's CSA is 1.5 Million. And the problem with looking at CSAs is it incorporates a bunch of nothing farmland.

How can a mod sit here and act like they are playing fair and compare one city's CSA to another MSA? Further upthread you were saying Louisville only had 13 B in development over 5.5 years when I clearly showed a list showing every penny from 2014-2017. You then claimed a majority of that was "infrastructure" when I showed under 25% was infrastructure. Louisville has had repeated years of multi billion dollar investment in the ONE SQUARE MILE OF DOWNTOWN alone.

I very REGULARLY see people on here say Louisville and Omaha "feel similar." Similar tiers, etc. Yet, Louisivlle is OVER 500k bigger than Omaha in CSA. It's closer to Omaha in feel according to you gurus yet its closer in size to Milwaukee?

Louisivlle even has nearly a billion in development in the works in the GHETTO:

https://www.louisville.com/content/w...-neighborhoods

Give me a break. The city of Louisville is so rapidly transforming and the buzz is building but we have so many people here in complete denial. I could list so much development it will make your mind spin.

Just like Omaha and Louisville can be compared, Milwaukee and Louisville are very comparable.
Milwaukee is quite a bit bigger than Omaha..different levels.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How so? Both cities appear to rank similarly within their respective regions.

Louisville is more important in the SE than Milwaukee is in the Midwest because there are still more big kahunas in the Midwest....the likes of Chicago, STL, Minneapolis, Detroit, et all. However this is splitting hairs.

I'd be ok admitting that Milwaukee and Louisville are both regionally important centers in their respective regions and viewed as culturally attractive tourist destinations as medium large cities.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Milwaukee is quite a bit bigger than Omaha..different levels.
You missed that ENTIRE argument bud! Louisville is CLOSER IN SIZE in every single way to Milwaukee. Yet people want to compare Louisville to Omaha saying they are equal yet they won't compare Louisville to Milwaukee. It's utterly preposterous and really shows more and more they know NOTHING about Louisville. That's why I am here to dispel myths.

Street Cred to anyone who can tell me what is special and memorable about the middle of the Big Four bridge? It's a top tourist attraction, so certainly one of you Louisville google experts can tell me? Besides the people I know know the city well like Shakeesha.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:54 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Louisville is more important in the SE than Milwaukee is in the Midwest because there are still more big kahunas in the Midwest....the likes of Chicago, STL, Minneapolis, Detroit, et all. However this is splitting hairs.
In the SE you have Miami, Atlanta, Tampa, Orlando, Charlotte, Norfolk/VA Beach, Nashville, etc all larger than Louisville. I'd say the two cities are somewhat even when it comes to their importance within their respective regions.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:17 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:

How can a mod sit here and act like they are playing fair and compare one city's CSA to another MSA? Further upthread you were saying Louisville only had 13 B in development over 5.5 years when I clearly showed a list showing every penny from 2014-2017. You then claimed a majority of that was "infrastructure" when I showed under 25% was infrastructure. Louisville has had repeated years of multi billion dollar investment in the one square mile of downtown alone....and I'll readily admit downtown is NOT Louisville's strength (though it may be in 10 years as we are now rapidly seeing surface lot infill in areas destroyed by the Great Flood of 1937).
It's good to see you finally acknowledge that Louisville's downtown is not its strength. Though it seems like you're saying downtown Louisville hasn't recovered from a natural disaster that happened 82 years ago. To me that suggests a different concern.

I don't know what to tell you Peter, mods are allowed to participate and give their opinions in threads as well. Opinions don't have to be fair, that's why they are opinions. It is also not an opinion, but a fact. I wasn't comparing CSA's. I was pointing out that Milwaukee's CSA has less land area than Louisville's MSA. It also contains 750k more people. Milwaukee's actual MSA contains less than half the land area Louisville's does. That's a pretty significant statistic when talking about size and density. Clearly Louisville's MSA contains more farmland than Milwaukee's CSA.

I disagree that Louisville is a SE city. It's an upper south/river city. I have been on here long enough to remember when your MO was to try and brand Louisville as a Midwestern city. Now you are trying to brand it as Southeastern. Louisville is a tier 2 or 3 Southestern city. It has a decent amount in common with Birmingham and Memphis, but not very much with the SE growth giants.

Last edited by mjlo; 08-07-2019 at 04:30 AM..

Old 08-07-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
It's good to see you finally acknowledge that Louisville's downtown is not its strength. Though it seems like you're saying downtown Louisville hasn't recovered from a natural disaster that happened 82 years ago. To me that suggests a different concern.

I don't know what to tell you Peter, mods are allowed to participate and give their opinions in threads as well. Opinions don't have to be fair, that's why they are opinions. It is also not an opinion, but a fact. I wasn't comparing CSA's. I was pointing out that Milwaukee's CSA has less land area than Louisville's MSA. It also contains 750k more people. Milwaukee's actual MSA contains less than half the land area Louisville's does. That's a pretty significant statistic when talking about size and density. Clearly Louisville's MSA contains more farmland than Milwaukee's CSA.

I disagree that Louisville is a SE city. It's an upper south/river city. I have been on here long enough to remember when your MO was to try and brand Louisville as a Midwestern city. Now you are trying to brand it as Southeastern. Louisville is a tier 2 or 3 Southestern city. It has a decent amount in common with Birmingham and Memphis, but not very much with the SE growth giants.
Let's make no mistake. Downtown Louisville is BOOMING. Absolutely booming. How many downtown have opened 8 tourist attractions in the last 3 years? I could show you a construction project on nearly every block of downtown either with dirt turning or proposed outside the SW quadrant of downtown. Even all edges of downtown now have MASSIVE projects, even in historically poor areas as I cited. These distilleries are huge for tourism. There are hoards of people walking everywhere. Louisville had record hotel growth, record tourism, record airport passengers, record everything this last year. ( I realize Louisville has low passenger counts despite this and this is mostly due to it's central location, its top tier cargo hub, and extreme competition with 3 other major airports all within an hour drive).

Louisville has at LEAST 4,000 more hotels than Milwaukee by the end of this year and several thousand more under construction soon or proposed. No one but you and a few on here who love legacy cities and hate my Louisville evangelization are buying the argument that Milwaukee and Louisville are on different tiers.

MSA is the best reflection of the feel of an area. Almost everyone on CD has agreed to that. Milwaukee and Louisville are very close in MSA and the gap is rapidly closing.

While Louisville has some in common with Memphis and Birmingham, quit comparing it to SLOW GROWTH metros to make it look worse than it is. Louisville has a lot more momentum than those cities.

Louisville has been made a SE city here. Louisville WANTS desperately to be southern because it sells the Derby and especially sells the bourbon boom. However what many CD posters mistake as southern is actually OHIO RIVER VALLEY. Louisville is substantially closer in culture to Cincinnati than Birmingham.

And boom is no other way to describe what is going on with bourbon. Your posts about Louisville are misleading. One thing we agree on is that Louisville is a hybrid Midwest and SE city....my thought is nearly half and half as it was founded as a Germ, Irish, Catholic city.

Last edited by Peter1948; 08-07-2019 at 05:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City