Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2019, 01:11 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times

Advertisements

I think Chicago is king when it comes to providing a wide variety of attractive housing of various compositions and styles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 01:27 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
I think Chicago is king when it comes to providing a wide variety of attractive housing of various compositions and styles.
No argument there, i just used Northern NJ as a counterpoint because its the most architecturally, historically and topographically similar to some of the cities were talking about. Down in the New Haven and Bridgeport areas it really can become indistinguishable from the Oranges and much of Essex County NJ

Old 11-06-2019, 01:31 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times
A rare and exquisite variation on the three decker: Mellen Street in Dorchester. Also this one on Magazine Street in Cambridge. Dorchester three deckers usually look the part: Draper St. Not so in Roxbury: Hillside St, Mission Hill.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
A rare and exquisite variation on the three decker: Mellen Street in Dorchester. Also this one on Magazine Street in Cambridge. Dorchester three deckers usually look the part: Draper St. Not so in Roxbury: Hillside St, Mission Hill.

That Cambridge one cracks me up.

I've been inside a couple of the 50s/60s hilltop ones, though I couldn't tell you which ones they were. From what I remember they had surprisingly modern interiors, perhaps too nice for the NEU frat boys who lived there at the time.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No argument there, i just used Northern NJ as a counterpoint because its the most architecturally, historically and topographically similar to some of the cities were talking about. Down in the New Haven and Bridgeport areas it really can become indistinguishable from the Oranges and much of Essex County NJ
That makes sense. Southern NE and NJ definitely have a lot in common. New Jersey probably has the most in common with Mass of any state outside of New England and maybe out of any state not named Rhode Island. Essex County NJ reminds me of Essex county MA in a lot of ways

Old 11-06-2019, 02:25 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
From walrus..

Hartford

yet another reminder that Hartford used to be very wealthy and the architecture was fantastic. Theyve pissed it away with lenient building codes for renovations, tearing down historic buildings ****-poor trash pick up (lived there 4 years and never noticed a trash truck, never saw trash being collected) and general neglect of cities in general. Those triple deckers look fantastic if you squint your eyes. In Boston those are worth 900k+ easily

Poor building codes pre-2001: WHY was this ever allowed? Then Mayor Eddie Perez revamped city code in 2001- thank god

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...!4d-72.6864295

heres a look of what some of their home look like when maintained:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7554...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7567...7i13312!8i6656
I don’t remember Eddie Perez doing any changes to the Hartford Building Code that made it more difficult to do cheap renovations. Do you have a reference for this?

The only thing I remember Pérez doing is scaring off major corporations from staying in Hartford (Voya, WFSB, etc.), undoing all the good work his predecessor Mayor Mike Peters did, firing the developer of Front Street to replace them with his own developer that built a much lesser project and of course, the corruption that finally ended his career and almost destroyed the new strong Mayor government that was just instituted.

Also note that a lot of those beautiful old homes around the city, called a Perfect Sixes, have been restored. Frog Hollow is really starting to turn around. Asylum Hill is also making changes. As for the loss of historic buildings, that happens in most US cities. It’s not just limited to Hartford. Jay

Old 11-07-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don’t remember Eddie Perez doing any changes to the Hartford Building Code that made it more difficult to do cheap renovations. Do you have a reference for this?

The only thing I remember Pérez doing is scaring off major corporations from staying in Hartford (Voya, WFSB, etc.), undoing all the good work his predecessor Mayor Mike Peters did, firing the developer of Front Street to replace them with his own developer that built a much lesser project and of course, the corruption that finally ended his career and almost destroyed the new strong Mayor government that was just instituted.

Also note that a lot of those beautiful old homes around the city, called a Perfect Sixes, have been restored. Frog Hollow is really starting to turn around. Asylum Hill is also making changes. As for the loss of historic buildings, that happens in most US cities. It’s not just limited to Hartford. Jay
When i was a student at Trinity pursuing the Center for Urban and Global Studies I found a heavy Booklet of all the changes Eddie made regarding renovations. Had city code, photo examples, timelines and explanations for it all. I dont really wanna dig through the internet now but it was very real and very physical with specific city code and everything in there. Must've been about 35 pages long. Dated Spring 2001.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Definitely worse in Hartford than other new england cities (thinking specifically of that giant parking lot east of the capitol building)-most notably Providence

Old 11-07-2019, 07:50 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
I wouldn't say that triple-decker neighborhoods are particularly attractive, in general. Go wander though some neighborhoods in Somerville or East Boston--"pretty" is about the last word I'd use to describe them..

Old 11-07-2019, 07:57 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I wouldn't say that triple-decker neighborhoods are particularly attractive, in general. Go wander though some neighborhoods in Somerville or East Boston--"pretty" is about the last word I'd use to describe them..

Not sure about East Boston, but I find most of Somerville nice enough. Even East Somerville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City