Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2019, 08:31 PM

712 posts, read 542,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Bridgeport is in the wealthiest county of the wealthiest state in the country and still poverty rate >20%, very low income, negative job growth, high unemployment, the works.
Every place has some challenging regions. NYC is the wealthiest city in USA, but Harlem is full of poverty in my eyes when I worked there. I may be fine to make money there, but I would never like to live in Harlem.

I am pretty sure there is Harlem equivalent in Boston.

Bridgeport is not one of the top level cities in CT in my opinion. But that does not mean other states in New England or in USA would be that better off than CT or Bridgeport in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 08:42 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
The first Courant article was my last free one for the month. The projects north of downtown and the one at park street and main look great, but it seems they haven’t started construction yet? So, sorry for not looking into the future fiercely enough in Nov 2018.

A lot of those other articles detail building conversions, which are awesome, but not really a stand-in for new construction either. I’m sure I walked by the building from the first article on Asylum a handful of times, and figured it had looked like that since the 80s.
Uhhh.. it’s called Historic Preservation. And yes it is a stand in for new construction. Taking beautiful old buildings and redoing them for great new uses is better. You don’t need brand new buildings. Historic preservation saves the character of a city and its usually better than sterile new buildings.

I have given you a number of references on Hartfords new apartments just from this past year. I can assure you there are more from last year and the year before that. In fact it goes back several years. If you want more please go to the Hartford Development link I gave you. There’s a LOT there. Jay

Old 11-12-2019, 09:05 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Uhhh.. it’s called Historic Preservation. And yes it is a stand in for new construction.
The goal should be to have both, but I do commend Hartford on starting with preservation. Hopefully that eventually transitions into more tangible, physical growth.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:14 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Hartford is pretty densely populated and even more densely built. It needs conversions, rehabilitation and preservation. That’s 100% more important than construction in their case. That will come eventually and is already happening appropriately in the desolate north end.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:21 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
That will come eventually and is already happening appropriately in the desolate north end.
Hopefully. I’m not arguing that conversations aren’t more important, but there are a lot of vacant lots on all sides of downtown.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:18 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,692,561 times
Portland-South Portland, ME MSA
Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH MSA*
Norwich-New London, CT MSA
Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT MUSA
Providence-Warwick, RI-MA MSA*
New Haven-Milford, CT MSA*
Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT MSA*

Just a top 7 of these areas

Basically ranking it off of food and/or amenities

Also places have frequented the most

Old 11-13-2019, 11:39 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
The goal should be to have both, but I do commend Hartford on starting with preservation. Hopefully that eventually transitions into more tangible, physical growth.
But there is both. Front Street with its several hundred apartments are all brand new. Here are links to them. I’d also like to point out that those historic building conversions are basically all new. They are just in a historic building envelope. Still basically new. Jay

Apartments in Downtown Hartford CT | Front Street Lofts

https://81arch.com/

Old 11-14-2019, 11:44 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,853,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Who said that having middle class neighborhoods is the only bragging point? And what is wrong with middle class neighborhoods? Is that not good enough? They are stable and safe. They may not be as sexy or exciting but it something to note and be proud of.

There is a LOT to do in Bridgeport so it’s obvious you do not know it well. First are it’s beautiful parks. Seaside Park is 324 acres of sweeping lawns, ball fields, monuments, seaside walks and a large sandy beach. It was designed by famous landscape architects Calvert Vaux and Frederick Law Olmsted and is pretty stunning. Then there is also the previously mentioned St. Mary’s by the Sea which also is a beautiful seaside park with a mile long walk along a sea wall. Then there’s Pleasure Beach which is a beautiful natural island beach just off the shoreline. You get there by a water taxi. Beardsley Park is a 125 acre park designed by Frederick Law Olmsted. It has the state’s only zoo. And adjacent to it is the Wonderland of Ice, an indoor ice skating facility. Then there is 90 Acres Park which is the site of the Discovery Museum. Add in a host of other small parks, squares and greens around the city, you can see why it’s called The Park City.

If outdoor activities aren’t your thing, there’s a ton of great restaurants and bars all around the city some of which I named in my previous post. For entertainment Bridgeport has the venerable Downtown Cabaret Theater, the Stress Factory Comedy Club, the Webster Arena, the Klein Memorial Auditorium, The Barnum Museum, plus a number a great music venues. All of these are downtown so how can anyone say Downtown Bridgeport is dull. Black Rock has its own share of things to do including Captains Cove Marina for food and drinks in a waterfront setting overlooking a marina. That’s kind of a lot for a small city of only 19 square miles. Jay
To be fair I haven't spent much time there compared to the other NE cities. It might not be fair since I compare it to New Haven which is a top new England city imo but it is what it is just one person's impression

Old 11-15-2019, 07:03 AM

712 posts, read 542,191 times
2018 personal per capta income MSA is out:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...apita-msa.html

Bridgeport/Stamford/Norwalk Fairfield County ranked No. 1 again, higher than Boston MSA.

For a region with that high per capta economic number, it should be ranked at least within top 5 of New England.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:10 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
To be fair I haven't spent much time there compared to the other NE cities. It might not be fair since I compare it to New Haven which is a top new England city imo but it is what it is just one person's impression
Amtrak, the New Haven Line, and Shore Line East all make stops in downtown if you want to do a trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City