Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2019, 12:46 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Maine Vermont and New Hampshire are the 3 oldest states by median age in the country and in the bottom 5 for under 18 population. It’s a major issue for those states.

The three whitest states in the country have the lowest birth rates. Is this supposed to be a news flash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 01:09 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Uh, yeah. I was in downtown Hartford at least once a week for 5 months straight last year, and I never saw a single apartment building (or any buildings really) under construction. There’s be a slight increase in foot traffic when the Yard Goats we’re playing, and also an increase in foot traffic while touring music groups were at the XL Center. There were an overwhelming number of people downtown when Elton John was playing. Most nights, however, downtown is largely dead, dead, dead.
People see what they're prepared to see, especially in a place like Hartford where the glass can seem half full or half empty depending on what you're expecting. The narrative on Hartford has been so bad for so long that its easy to visit the city fully expecting to see a ghost town and find plenty of evidence to confirm your bias. Hartford optimists find plenty of evidence of a revival. On a recent visit I thought the city had lots of character--distinctive vernacular architecture, different areas with their own feel, reasonable density, impressive downtown, historic buildings mixed in among the modern ones. The riverfront amenities make the best of a bad situation (railroads and highways routed along the waterfront). Conn is looking at rebuild options for making the I-84 highway less obtrusive. UConn has located one of its schools in the beautiful former Hartford Times building and created some activity there. Wadsworth Athenaeum has long been one of the most forward looking institutions of its kind in New England. There is a definite increase in market rate residential land uses in the downtown area. Hartford is very affordable for a city/metro with the second biggest economy in New England. Conn has done more than most states to create integrated public school options for Hartford kids. I'm surprised how much the narrative has shifted on New Haven-- after years of people making disparaging comments-- crime, bad schools, dump, etc. -- now there's a lot of favorable buzz. That's beginning to change with Hartford too-- now you'll find more optimistic, favorable comments on internet sites like C-D forum to offset the negative ones.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:16 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Bridgeport is also seeing a lot of new development. There are hundreds of apartments being built downtown in converted historic buildings as well as restaurants and entertainment venues. There will be a new outdoor music venue opening next year. I suggest you check out the link I provided above.

I have a friend that lives in downtown Bridgeport and he and his wife love it. He and his wife grew up in the suburbs and do not feel unsafe there. They moved there from a beautiful home in Fairfield about seven years ago. Originally it was to be a couple years as a bridge to a more permanent non rental home. They like it so much they are staying indefinitely. I thought they were nuts but he assured me it is great. What they like is the variety of things to do literally within blocks of their home. Their latest love is the new comedy club. They also love the Downtown Cabaret, Ralph n Rich’s, Brewport and Joesph’s Steakhouse. They go to events at the arena and used to catch Bluefish games. They can’t wait for the new music venue to open at the old baseball stadium. They can hop on a train to New Haven, New York (where he works), Stamford and Norwalk or even take the ferry over to Port Jefferson.

I am guessing that you are basing your opinion on what you see from passing by on I-95 or from articles on crime in certain parts of the city. Have you ever been to Black Rock, which is a beautiful seaside urban village? There are many great restaurants and shops there and a stunning waterfront park, St. Mary’s by the Sea. It is also walkable to the nearby Fairfield Metro Center train station.

Or have you ever seen the North End, Beardsley Park or Treeland neighborhoods? These are very nice, stable and safe middle class suburban type neighborhoods with great shopping and restaurants. I have driven out of state friends around Bridgeport, who thought we were in neighboring Fairfield. They were shocked when I corrected them. Jay
When a city's bragging points are that it has peripheral middle class neighborhoods and that some white people feel safe living there, that's usually not a good sign. Bridgeport's best shot has long been to be the commuter town of last resort for the NYC metro, and recent developments are probably related to that.

Downtown Bridgeport is extremely small and dull. Even Lowell, MA has a far better downtown in a city half of Bridgeport's size. New Haven is a similar sized city yet categorically destroys it. Overall Bridgeport is dull and dingy. The majority of the city looks like this https://goo.gl/maps/Mhe4iNRu4wHuLsr28 with a handful of decent (suburban) neighborhoods, a handful of worse off neighborhoods, and a singular cute hipster neighborhood on an extreme edge of the city.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the place, some of my cousins got a good education there and like the city, but it's nothing to write home about.

In terms of metros I would want to live it goes
New Haven >>>>>>> Hartford >>>> Bridgeport

Old 11-12-2019, 01:37 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
People see what they're prepared to see, especially in a place like Hartford where the glass can seem half full or half empty depending on what you're expecting. The narrative on Hartford has been so bad for so long that its easy to visit the city fully expecting to see a ghost town and find plenty of evidence to confirm your bias. Hartford optimists find plenty of evidence of a revival. On a recent visit I thought the city had lots of character--distinctive vernacular architecture, different areas with their own feel, reasonable density, impressive downtown, historic buildings mixed in among the modern ones. The riverfront amenities make the best of a bad situation (railroads and highways routed along the waterfront). Conn is looking at rebuild options for making the I-84 highway less obtrusive. UConn has located one of its schools in the beautiful former Hartford Times building and created some activity there. Wadsworth Athenaeum has long been one of the most forward looking institutions of its kind in New England. There is a definite increase in market rate residential land uses in the downtown area. Hartford is very affordable for a city/metro with the second biggest economy in New England. Conn has done more than most states to create integrated public school options for Hartford kids. I'm surprised how much the narrative has shifted on New Haven-- after years of people making disparaging comments-- crime, bad schools, dump, etc. -- now there's a lot of favorable buzz. That's beginning to change with Hartford too-- now you'll find more optimistic, favorable comments on internet sites like C-D forum to offset the negative ones.
And with the Hartford Line, residents of downtown Hartford can do an easy daytrip to downtown New Haven and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
When a city's bragging points are that it has peripheral middle class neighborhoods and that some white people feel safe living there, that's usually not a good sign. Bridgeport's best shot has long been to be the commuter town of last resort for the NYC metro, and recent developments are probably related to that.

Downtown Bridgeport is extremely small and dull. Even Lowell, MA has a far better downtown in a city half of Bridgeport's size. New Haven is a similar sized city yet categorically destroys it. Overall Bridgeport is dull and dingy. The majority of the city looks like this https://goo.gl/maps/Mhe4iNRu4wHuLsr28 with a handful of decent (suburban) neighborhoods, a handful of worse off neighborhoods, and a singular cute hipster neighborhood on an extreme edge of the city.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the place, some of my cousins got a good education there and like the city, but it's nothing to write home about.

I don't really see what's so bad with the place you pointed out on google maps.

It would be nice if route 8 going below-grade next to Bridgeport City Hall were capped though to expand City Hall Park into a more sizable park and public plaza.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Jeez. Hartford has a 30.5% poverty rate. That's worse than the disaster cities in Massachusetts where Springfield tops the list at 28.7%. Only 16.6% of adults age 25+ have a bachelor's degree or higher. The population has contracted about 2% since 2010. 2/3 of households with children are single parents. It's a place mired in generational poverty with no glimmer of breaking the cycle. If you're painting a rosy picture, you never left the downtown core of office towers. Much of the residential part of the city is mired in poverty. There are a few very nice blocks in the west end on the West Hartford line that were built pre-white flight that are gorgeous but nobody living there is going to put their children in the Hartford public school system.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:01 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Jeez. Hartford has a 30.5% poverty rate. That's worse than the disaster cities in Massachusetts where Springfield tops the list at 28.7%.
Just about every urban place has people in poverty-- even Greenwich, CT has just under 7 percent. Bill de Blasio announces New York City's poverty rate (that international superstar) fell to 17.3 percent in 2018. Affluent San Francisco's rate is 13.4 percent, a little higher than Seattle's 11%, both well below LA's 20.4%. Here in New England, Cambridge is one of the lowest cities at 13.5%. Boston is 20.5%, pretty high and about the same as it was 40 years ago before most of the gentrification that's transformed Boston since. Lots of favorable talk these days about Providence (26.9% poverty), New Haven (25.6%) and Portland (18.3%). Hartford tops all those and the rate is unlikely to decline much barring annexation of West Hartford. To someone with a glass-half-empty point of view Hartford's relatively high poverty rate is an economic death certificate. An optimist will say Yep, pretty high but so what? I can still invest here, live here, work here...

Old 11-12-2019, 03:17 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
And with the Hartford Line, residents of downtown Hartford can do an easy daytrip to downtown New Haven and vice versa.

I don't really see what's so bad with the place you pointed out on google maps.

It would be nice if route 8 going below-grade next to Bridgeport City Hall were capped though to expand City Hall Park into a more sizable park and public plaza.

like i just said it's dull and dingy. It's not an inherently bad place but there's very little that makes it a good place to live.

Bridgeport is in the wealthiest county of the wealthiest state in the country and still poverty rate >20%, very low income, negative job growth, high unemployment, the works.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Just about every urban place has people in poverty-- even Greenwich, CT has just under 7 percent. Bill de Blasio announces New York City's poverty rate (that international superstar) fell to 17.3 percent in 2018. Affluent San Francisco's rate is 13.4 percent, a little higher than Seattle's 11%, both well below LA's 20.4%. Here in New England, Cambridge is one of the lowest cities at 13.5%. Boston is 20.5%, pretty high and about the same as it was 40 years ago before most of the gentrification that's transformed Boston since. Lots of favorable talk these days about Providence (26.9% poverty), New Haven (25.6%) and Portland (18.3%). Hartford tops all those and the rate is unlikely to decline much barring annexation of West Hartford. To someone with a glass-half-empty point of view Hartford's relatively high poverty rate is an economic death certificate. An optimist will say Yep, pretty high but so what? I can still invest here, live here, work here...

The 2/3 single parent households is the thing that causes the generational poverty problem. Hartford is in the top-10 in the country.

Metro Hartford is fine. Avon, Simsbury, Glastonbury, West Hartford, etc are gold-plated suburbs and the metro is one of the wealthier in the country. The downtown Hartford business core is fine other than the property tax problem. The issue is the 100,000 poor people locked in place by a safety net that perversely rewards people for becoming single mothers.

Old 11-12-2019, 05:01 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
like i just said it's dull and dingy. It's not an inherently bad place but there's very little that makes it a good place to live.

Bridgeport is in the wealthiest county of the wealthiest state in the country and still poverty rate >20%, very low income, negative job growth, high unemployment, the works.
I see two pho places, a louisiana seafood place (wouldn't be surprised if it's also run by vietnamese who have collectively fallen in love with crawfish boils) some older houses that are pretty densely built and in relatively good condition. Could use a bit of litter removal and maybe painted crosswalks. The fenced off dumpster next to the seafood place is probably better put in the back with the parking lot and it'd be nice if that parking lot was fronted with a store on the street for continuity. If you wanted to get real fancy, put the wires underground. I would also love to replace the gas station a block down with something better like a large three-story plus basement Pho-plex.

Overall, really doesn't look bad to me and I'd take it probably over the vast majority of US neighborhoods since it looks at least somewhat walkable. I'm also biased because I love crawfish boils and pho.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:17 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:

Who said that having middle class neighborhoods is the only bragging point? And what is wrong with middle class neighborhoods? Is that not good enough? They are stable and safe. They may not be as sexy or exciting but it something to note and be proud of.

There is a LOT to do in Bridgeport so it’s obvious you do not know it well. First are it’s beautiful parks. Seaside Park is 324 acres of sweeping lawns, ball fields, monuments, seaside walks and a large sandy beach. It was designed by famous landscape architects Calvert Vaux and Frederick Law Olmsted and is pretty stunning. Then there is also the previously mentioned St. Mary’s by the Sea which also is a beautiful seaside park with a mile long walk along a sea wall. Then there’s Pleasure Beach which is a beautiful natural island beach just off the shoreline. You get there by a water taxi. Beardsley Park is a 125 acre park designed by Frederick Law Olmsted. It has the state’s only zoo. And adjacent to it is the Wonderland of Ice, an indoor ice skating facility. Then there is 90 Acres Park which is the site of the Discovery Museum. Add in a host of other small parks, squares and greens around the city, you can see why it’s called The Park City.

If outdoor activities aren’t your thing, there’s a ton of great restaurants and bars all around the city some of which I named in my previous post. For entertainment Bridgeport has the venerable Downtown Cabaret Theater, the Stress Factory Comedy Club, the Webster Arena, the Klein Memorial Auditorium, The Barnum Museum, plus a number a great music venues. All of these are downtown so how can anyone say Downtown Bridgeport is dull. Black Rock has its own share of things to do including Captains Cove Marina for food and drinks in a waterfront setting overlooking a marina. That’s kind of a lot for a small city of only 19 square miles. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City