Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2019, 09:44 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Agreed. The three decker at No. 88 Rossmore is new construction but harmonious with all the old ones. Its neighbor at 92 Rossmore has wooden facades and a nice paint job rather than the cheap and ugly vinyl siding people throw onto these old houses.

It's an affluent enough place where it's easy to justify spending the money. I know a number of people with rental tenements in New Bedford. They're not getting the rents to ever justify stripping the asbestos shingles and lead paint trim off. In 2019, that's hazardous waste and costs a fortune to remove. The only viable option is to contain it with vinyl. I presume that's the math for all of the turn of the century failed mill town working class housing. Wrap it in a plastic bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 09:50 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My girlfriend has a masters in landscape design from one of the DC universities as her passion/hobby that wouldn't earn her a living. I get exposed to it pretty much daily though my knowledge would fit in a thimble. Sadly, most cities have no budget for it so some city worker in public works with no training arbitrarily picks something. Most places aren't having Olmsted & Eliot and Charles Sprague Sargent picking trees.

True enough. I lived/dated a woman with her masters in landscape architecture in the Boston area and she was the one that started me on the Bradford pear hate. Haha.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:56 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Chicago bungalow>Boston triple-decker>Philly rowhouse

A little space, with some greenery, is a beautiful thing.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:57 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
True enough. I lived/dated a woman with her masters in landscape architecture in the Boston area and she was the one that started me on the Bradford pear hate. Haha.
I'm a fan of mulberry trees, of which there are many throughout Boston metro. Makes for a nice snack on a walk to work

Old 11-07-2019, 10:51 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

Yeah agreed. Row homes get way too much credit. I vastly prefer a little grass and plants and trees etc. I wouldnt live in a row home.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:51 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

Nice front porches here on North Edgewood St in West Philadelphia but the back yards are about as deep as the front yards, i.e., a few feet.

These three deckers on Parkton Rd in Jamaica plain are pretty dense too with backyards only big enough to hang out the laundry but there's a little more greenery.

Hartford CT has some unusually handsome double-triples in brick (courtesy of BostonBornMassMade) on more spacious lots.

Old 11-07-2019, 03:22 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Rowhomes>Triple Deckers>Chicago Bungalow

Old 11-07-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Nice front porches here on North Edgewood St in West Philadelphia but the back yards are about as deep as the front yards, i.e., a few feet.

These three deckers on Parkton Rd in Jamaica plain are pretty dense too with backyards only big enough to hang out the laundry but there's a little more greenery.

Hartford CT has some unusually handsome double-triples in brick (courtesy of BostonBornMassMade) on more spacious lots.
those philly rowhomes look awful /claustrophobic to me.

I'm a big fan of the semiattached housing in albany and troy . i'm not sure if it's exactly a rowhome but it's quite nice

https://goo.gl/maps/GomHvBpHzu2JHS717

https://goo.gl/maps/LhkpUsCAQL9fcewr6

Last edited by Space_League; 11-07-2019 at 05:00 PM..

Old 11-07-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Rowhomes>Triple Deckers>Chicago Bungalow
i'm not a huge fan of bungalow but i am a huge fan of some of their other architectural styles, particularly greystones.

https://goo.gl/maps/2N5zoMmxXb1oVKY47

imagine how this street looked like in it's prime without all the empty lots

Old 11-07-2019, 05:31 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
those philly rowhomes look awful /claustrophobic to me.

I'm a big fan of the semiattached housing in albany and troy . i'm not sure if it's exactly a rowhome but it's quite nice

https://goo.gl/maps/GomHvBpHzu2JHS717

https://goo.gl/maps/LhkpUsCAQL9fcewr6
Those are very similar to NYC brownstones. Housing in the downtown neighborhoods in Albany resemble old brownstones, while in other neighborhoods, there are often single-family or two family homes, with lawns front and back, and are very affordable.

I would hate to live in that Philly neighborhood. Your "front yard" is the sidewalk, and it's virtually without trees and grass, of any kind. The triple-deckers in Boston look absolutely woodsy by comparison. Not an attractive neighborhood, to put it mildly..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City