Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2020, 01:51 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,859 times

Advertisements

Female, just turned 50:

1. Bangor, ME MSA
2.Burlington-S. Burlington, VT
3.Lewiston-Auburn, ME
4.Portland, ME
5.Manchester-Nashua, NH
6.Pittsfield, MA
7.Springfield, MA
8.Barnstable Town, MA
9.Providence-Warwick, RI
10. Worcester, MA
11. Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH
12. Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT
13. New Haven-Milford, CT
14. Norwich-New London, CT
15. Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT MSA*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 02:36 PM

8,499 posts, read 4,554,287 times
Hartford and Stamford have all the character and charm of an office park by the interstate.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:56 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Hartford and Stamford have all the character and charm of an office park by the interstate.
Hartford hasl lots of character but minimal charm of that makes sense. It’s pretty distinct in more ways than one.

Old 05-26-2020, 03:00 PM

MassVt, New Haven and environs are ultra New Englandy. And barely anyone commutes from New Haven County to NYC lol, cmon people. Just because we drive through it and we feel close to NYC when we pass by on I95 at 90 MPH doesn’t mean it’s not New England ..like at all.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:27 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
You obviously never got off those highways and saw either city. Yes, both have clusters of large office towers but so does Boston with complexes like the Prudential Center and Copley Place. The difference between these cities and Providence, Worcester and other New England cities is that those cities don’t have a lot of large companies with lots of office workers that need big office buildings. Outside of those complexes though Hartford and Stamford have attractive walkable and even charming downtowns. Take a look. Jay

Old 05-26-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You obviously never got off those highways and saw either city. Yes, both have clusters of large office towers but so does Boston with complexes like the Prudential Center and Copley Place. The difference between these cities and Providence, Worcester and other New England cities is that those cities don’t have a lot of large companies with lots of office workers that need big office buildings. Outside of those complexes though Hartford and Stamford have attractive walkable and even charming downtowns. Take a look. Jay
Thank you. MA and RI cities are often times economically irrelevant and thus don’t have any modern office buildings To speak of. Which people see as a positive but really is a clear indicator that the cities have seen better days and have been left behind...CT cities have felt more pressure to stand alone and support a sizable state where most folks cannot commute to NYC or Boston. If that means sacrificing charm along the highways thats probably a smart decision.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:11 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
When I think "New England", my first thoughts are of the woods and lakes of VT/NH and ME, and the migration of many of those states' college grads into the Boston metro area. Once you're south of Boston, the migration patterns lead one to NYC just as much as they would lead towards Boston.

Once you've entered, and left, New Haven, going south, you're really not in New England anymore...
Have you ever spent any time in New Haven or Fairfield Counties? There is a definite New England feel and influence in them right up to the New York State Line in Greenwich.

First most of the towns in both counties are governed by that very New England form of government, the Board of Selectmen. Instead of mayors, they have a First Selectman. Many still have Town Meetings even though they are kind of large.

Furthermore, you see a strong New England influence in the architecture of these towns. You won’t find a more charming New England village than Southport in Fairfield. Also check out Rowayton in Norwalk. Then there are typical New England town greens with stately white steepled churches and grand old colonial homes and public buildings. For this, check out Milford, Orange, Stratford, Fairfield, Greenfield Hill, Weston, Westport or New Canaan. And I defy you to see much difference in character between Greenwich and towns in Massachusetts like Wellesley or Newton. They are surprisingly similar. Jay

Last edited by JayCT; 05-26-2020 at 08:49 PM..

Old 05-26-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Have you ever spent any time in New Haven or Fairfield Counties? There was s a definite New England feel and influence in them right up to Greenwich. First most of the towns in both counties are governed by that very New England form of government, the Board of Selectmen. Instead of mayors, they have a First Selectman. Many still have Town Meetings even though they are kind of large.

Furthermore, you see a strong New England influence in the architecture of these towns. You won’t find more charming New England village than Southport in Fairfield. Also check out Rowayton in Norwalk. Then there are typical New England town greens with stately white steepled churches and grand old colonial homes and public buildings. For this, check out Milford, Orange, Stratford, Fairfield, Greenfield Hill, Weston, Westport or New Canaan. And I defy you to see much difference in character between Greenwich and towns in Massachusetts like Wellesley or Newton. They are surprisingly similar. Jay
It shouldnt even be surprising that wealthy CT towns are near carbon copies of wealthy MA towns.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:27 PM

712 posts, read 541,990 times
Quote:
Have you ever spent any time in New Haven or Fairfield Counties? There is a definite New England feel and influence in them right up to the New York State Line in Greenwich.

First most of the towns in both counties are governed by that very New England form of government, the Board of Selectmen. Instead of mayors, they have a First Selectman. Many still have Town Meetings even though they are kind of large.

Furthermore, you see a strong New England influence in the architecture of these towns. You won’t find a more charming New England village than Southport in Fairfield. Also check out Rowayton in Norwalk. Then there are typical New England town greens with stately white steepled churches and grand old colonial homes and public buildings. For this, check out Milford, Orange, Stratford, Fairfield, Greenfield Hill, Weston, Westport or New Canaan. And I defy you to see much difference in character between Greenwich and towns in Massachusetts like Wellesley or Newton. They are surprisingly similar. Jay
Not only that, even the names of towns and cities are clear cut on state line between CT vs NY.

Stamford, Greenwich etc are obviously names borrowed from English towns. In New York across border line,
New Rochelle sounds French. Also a large of portion New York places are Dutch names like Harlem,
Dutchess County etc. NYC used to be called New Amsterdam, and New York state used be named "New Netherland" before the British take over.

Names, history, buildings, local government structure, churches, NY vs CT are quite different on state border line for sure.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:32 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Once I start seeing the Yankee flags west of New Haven I start feeling less New Englandy. But just because that sliver feels less New Engladny to me, does not make it any less New England. CT all the way up to Greenwich, is New England. Fairfield County is very similar to Middlesex County in a lot of ways. Greenwich/Darien are very similar to Wellesley/Weston.

A lot of my family lives between New Haven and New London, and it is just as New Englandy as Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City