Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is less worth its cost?
SF 46 62.16%
Boston 28 37.84%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 05:06 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
San Francisco is the most overrated major city in America
Haha please manifest your envy in a way that actually makes sense and not with this^ nonsensical garbage.

Quote:
and is the worst major city for people of the African diaspora.
Blacks are leaving major cities all over the country.

You have no right to demand that Blacks stay put in a location they dont want to be in if theyd rather sell their pricey house in the city and get a far cheaper yet far larger and far newer house in exurbia--the nerve of you.

Quote:
The complete blatant charge to marginalize and eliminate its black culture and communities is 50 years running now, just a deliberate action plan of black erasure...
Yawns tell that to the city's black female mayor.

And please give us the names of the people currently running this shadow operation to 'erase' blacks from SF.

There are 2 names at the top of the list: Supply and Demand.

Quote:
Let's add in the fact that SF is more relatively isolated than Boston
Yup SF is The City for hundreds of miles in all direction yet there are 15 million people in NorCal nonetheless.

Quote:
Boston has better and more extensive rail transit
Uber and Lyft dominate SF these days, you cant get better door-to-door service than that.

Quote:
Boston is more ethnically diverse, and Boston has a more compelling history and historical importance...
Boston's diversity is great but limited to city limits and a few inner burbs. SF has no racial diversity in 6/9 counties and you can drive for 80+ miles in a huge area, urban, suburban, rich, poor etc across 4 counties, with no racial or ethnic majority.

Oh and SF is probably the most economically relevant city in the US right now after NYC.

Modcut: Removed rude comment

Last edited by JMT; 09-23-2019 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 05:23 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Haha please manifest your envy in a way that actually makes sense and not with this^ nonsensical garbage.

Blacks are leaving major cities all over the country.

You have no right to demand that Blacks stay put in a location they dont want to be in if theyd rather sell their pricey house in the city and get a far cheaper yet far larger and far newer house in exurbia--the nerve of you.
Not all. Blacks are still growing in overall numbers in Boston and other cities like Las Vegas and Minneapolis. Just fwiw

Old 09-22-2019, 05:34 PM

330 posts, read 293,606 times
Traveled to both many times. I think neither places are overrated. SF‘s surrounding eco-system, natural scenery + Boston’s architectural beauty, culture and history are some of the best things this country could offer. Both SF and Boston are among the “trademark” cities of this country.

SF though has a much higher COL than Boston. While SF the city itself is not overrated and I appreciate the city and the experience every time I visited there, given the level of COL that SF currently has and what it offers(even when you factor in Marin County, SJ, Oakland) in comparison to the abundance, the variety, the cultural and urban presence of NYC or even SoCal LA, I do believe it is overrated.

Last edited by SnobbishDude; 09-22-2019 at 06:06 PM..

Old 09-22-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Not all. Blacks are still growing in overall numbers in Boston and other cities like Las Vegas and Minneapolis. Just fwiw
Congrats. The person Im responding to acts as if SF is singular in this regard. Thats ridiculous.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:46 PM

503 posts, read 597,803 times
I heard the homeless population and druggie population in San Francisco is getting a lot worse... I saw on YouTube that there was a store owner who was bitten by a homeless person twice...

Old 09-22-2019, 05:52 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Love them both, lived in both. Two of the top 5 most expensive major cities when it comes to real estate, but SF is far more expensive comparatively. I prefer Boston to SF, regardless of COL, though the Bay Area is a marvel.

I can see why this thread was started. But, they're two of the three, four, five most substantial economies in North America (p/capita is the measurement that relates most closely when talking about COL). So, of course they're expensive.

For a couple each making $300k in tech, would you rather live in a 2 bedroom 1200 sq/ft condo for $1.2M in an upscale neighborhood, or a $1.2M 2 bedroom in a less desirable neighborhood respectively, in a mid-rise apartment building? The below comparison is a good indicator of the COL difference found across the two cities.

Boston's South End Listing: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-81144?view=qv
South End Street View: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3445...7i16384!8i8192

San Francisco's Tenderloin Listing: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-98115?view=qv
Tenderloin Street View: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7829...7i13312!8i6656

So, my answer is SF is less worth it than Boston.

Last edited by mwj119; 09-22-2019 at 06:13 PM..

Old 09-22-2019, 05:52 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
There are good things about both, but I think it comes down to what industry you're in and what your job prospects are. I found walking the streets in Boston better, though to be fair, I've pretty much only been in Boston in summer and fall which are pretty good seasons. I just really like the historic architecture and winding streets. It does have a better mass transit system, but with streets like that, it really does need such since driving seems like it'd be a headache and I'm guessing bus operations aren't easy. Turning MBTA Commuter Rail into a RER/S-Bahn system makes a lot of sense for Boston.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:59 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Congrats. The person Im responding to acts as if SF is singular in this regard. Thats ridiculous.
I think hes more highlighting how much the black population has declined in SF which is definitely unique. From 13.4% in 1970 to 5.3% today. Even accompanying Oakland going from 47% black in 1980 to 22% today that is definitely unique and unprecedented. It does seem somewhat deliberate. That level of black racial displacement really has only happened in LA SF OAK and maybe DC/Miami.

Similarly sized cities (city proper population) like Boston, Philly, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Milwaukee, Fort Worth, Baltimore, Vegas, Charlotte, Denver have all seen increase in black population-if not percentage wise than overall. At worst they’ve stagnated.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
At the city level Boston is magnitudes more diverse than San Francisco.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...a,US/PST045218

Boston is
44% whites. -Large chunks of which are Portuguese and Brazilian.
23% black-about half of which are from or descended for. Parents native to Haiti Jamaica Cape Verde Kenya Trinidad Barbados Nigeria etc.
20% Hispanic - a mix of Dominicans Puerto Rican Salvadoran Colombian and Honduran
10% Asian- a mix of Chinese Vietnamese and Indian
3% Mixed race

Boston’s largest racial groups account for 57% of the population.

San Francisco is
41% white
34% Asian mainly Chinese with a dash of Japanese and Korean
15% Hispanic-heavily Mexican
5% Black- almost only black american
5% Mixed Race

San Francisco’s two largest racial groups account for 75% of the population.

About 75 different languages are spoken in Boston Public Schools.

https://www.bostonindicators.org/art...ston-diversity
As of 2017, Boston is the country’s 6th most diverse large city, up from 25th in 1980.

As of 2017, San Francisco is the country’s 11th most diverse large city, down from 2nd in 1980.
From your link:

Oakland is #1

Old 09-22-2019, 06:17 PM

Haha Im just saying 70% vs 69% is not 'magnitudes' more diverse.

And just to reiterate:
Boston's diversity is great but limited to city limits and a few inner burbs. SF has no racial diversity in 6/9 counties and you can drive for 80+ miles in a huge area, urban, suburban, rich, poor etc across 4 counties, with no racial or ethnic majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City