Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is less worth its cost?
SF 46 62.16%
Boston 28 37.84%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 03:32 AM

52 posts, read 35,357 times

Advertisements

Which of these two expensive cities do you think is less justifiably expensive? As in I mean that they are both expensive but one of them is worth more for its cost than the other one if that makes any sense. I only include two examples for now but if you have another relevant example please do share thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 04:52 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,325,371 times
My kids have lived both in cities. Both have their charms and deficiencies.

I prefer the weather in San Fran and the culture in Boston.

If I had to choose one, it would be San Fran.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:13 PM

52 posts, read 35,357 times
Yeah I prefer the scenery and weather in SF myself but the culture and history of Boston. That's why I'm often so divided between the two cities.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:29 PM

5,833 posts, read 5,637,561 times
San Francisco is the most overrated major city in America and is the worst major city for people of the African diaspora. The complete blatant charge to marginalize and eliminate its black culture and communities is 50 years running now, just a deliberate action plan of black erasure...

For that alone it gets the answer to OP question. However, I'm acutely aware that I'm saying this on an online community that could give a rat's ass about anything black, so with that being said...

Let's add in the fact that SF is more relatively isolated than Boston, Boston has better and more extensive rail transit, Boston is more ethnically diverse, and Boston has a more compelling history and historical importance...

SF could slide right into the ocean with the next major quake and I'd only be upset for one of my grandfathers, who is 77 and grew up in SF...

Old 09-22-2019, 01:55 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,288,061 times
In a vacuum SF is more impressive to me. Larger downtown core, beautiful natural setting , etc. But both are really expensive for what you get. Personally I don't think they are worth their cost anymore. At this point, I would prefer NYC or Philly/Chicago to Boston. You can get a global mega city for a little more money or you can save money and live in a comparable city. SF is more unique geographically, but I would probably prefer Seattle or SD as a west coast alternative.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:32 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,715,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
San Francisco is the most overrated major city in America and is the worst major city for people of the African diaspora. The complete blatant charge to marginalize and eliminate its black culture and communities is 50 years running now, just a deliberate action plan of black erasure...

For that alone it gets the answer to OP question. However, I'm acutely aware that I'm saying this on an online community that could give a rat's ass about anything black, so with that being said...

Let's add in the fact that SF is more relatively isolated than Boston, Boston has better and more extensive rail transit, Boston is more ethnically diverse, and Boston has a more compelling history and historical importance...

SF could slide right into the ocean with the next major quake and I'd only be upset for one of my grandfathers, who is 77 and grew up in SF...
A lot of assumptions there. In any case, is Boston really more ethnically diverse? I’m almost certain at the metro level SF is, and I thought at the city level as well. Don’t have time to look it up right now but I’d be interested in seeing the stats.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:52 PM

257 posts, read 167,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

I think Boston would take the cake for most overrated major city in America, but SF would be a close second.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:04 PM

14,023 posts, read 15,032,674 times
I would like to point out SF and Boston are not similarly expensive. SF is way more expensive

Old 09-22-2019, 04:04 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,288,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I would like to point out SF and Boston are not similarly expensive. SF is way more expensive
Yeah.. that's objectively true. But, I would argue SF is also more renowned from a city amenities standpoint. More shopping and dinning options, etc.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:36 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
A lot of assumptions there. In any case, is Boston really more ethnically diverse? I’m almost certain at the metro level SF is, and I thought at the city level as well. Don’t have time to look it up right now but I’d be interested in seeing the stats.
At the city level Boston is magnitudes more diverse than San Francisco.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...a,US/PST045218

Boston is
44% whites. -Large chunks of which are Portuguese and Brazilian.
23% black-about half of which are from or descended for. Parents native to Haiti Jamaica Cape Verde Kenya Trinidad Barbados Nigeria etc.
20% Hispanic - a mix of Dominicans Puerto Rican Salvadoran Colombian and Honduran
10% Asian- a mix of Chinese Vietnamese and Indian
3% Mixed race

Boston’s largest racial groups account for 57% of the population.

San Francisco is
41% white
34% Asian mainly Chinese with a dash of Japanese and Korean
15% Hispanic-heavily Mexican
5% Black- almost only black american
5% Mixed Race

San Francisco’s two largest racial groups account for 75% of the population.

About 75 different languages are spoken in Boston Public Schools.

https://www.bostonindicators.org/art...ston-diversity
As of 2017, Boston is the country’s 6th most diverse large city, up from 25th in 1980.

As of 2017, San Francisco is the country’s 11th most diverse large city, down from 2nd in 1980.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 09-22-2019 at 04:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City