Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is less worth its cost?
SF 46 62.16%
Boston 28 37.84%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 11:51 AM

52 posts, read 35,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I love both and consider both to be near the top of the list of cities that I'd actively seek to live in (currently in Boston). However, count me in the group that would take Boston over SF even if all other things we equal. In fact, I've literally lived this debate and will likely live it again in the coming years. I agree with another poster who said that even though the cities are peers, SF objectively offers more amenities/attractions. I wouldn't dispute that. But given the cost differential (Boston's expensive, but SF is still worse), it would be easy to pick Boston over SF.

The cost of living in the Bay Area, lack of significant salary boost over Boston, and spotty transit in the core were major factors in choosing Boston over SF. SF was quite literally less worth the cost of living there in spite potentially winning on paper in other ways.
If I could make yours the best answer I would. Basically said everything that's on my mind. SF does offer more as a stand-alone city. But the quality of everything it offers does not accurately reflect its much higher cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 12:11 PM

413 posts, read 323,428 times
Have traveled to both for vacations, I can say I've never had to watch out to not step in human feces on the sidewalks of Boston.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:16 PM

503 posts, read 597,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsFan1975 View Post
Have traveled to both for vacations, I can say I've never had to watch out to not step in human feces on the sidewalks of Boston.
And only in San Francisco do you have to worry about being bitten by homeless people, haha

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...e-in-4-months/

Old 09-23-2019, 12:30 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
No, you're right and I love all of those things about Boston. But I would argue that people generally enjoy the milder weather that you find in SF over 4 distinct seasons (and I say that as someone who prefers the seasons). I'd also argue that SF has a better natural setting and access to the outdoors (both locally and within a few hours drive), and is generally a better city for drinking (though I vastly prefer Boston/New England for beer)/eating/shopping, etc.
Fair points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese French Italian View Post
Yeah but the main reason why I moved out of Seattle is because I think it is not diverse enough...Basically even though they're the most expensive as a non-white person I only feel comfortable living in California or the Northeast at this point. Otherwise I'd rather just move back to Asia. I'd take some second world Asian country than living in a white majority city and perpetually feeling like an outsider.
I think Seattle is very diverse, for Asians. Every other person seems to be Asian here. Not sure what you're looking for. If that's how you feel, then yes, go back to China.

I'm Asian too.. I appreciate diversity and feel it's important, but Seattle definitely has an Asian slant to it. I think Seattle has a higher percentage of Asians than the majority of northeast cities. Curious why you came to this country if you don't want to be around whites.

Imagine if white people would go to your country and say what you just said. "I'd rather live in a second world white country then live in a city where I'm not the majority." If a white person said (out loud) "I can only live in a majority white city" he'd be called a racist, rightfully or not.

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 09-23-2019 at 12:49 PM..

Old 09-23-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Fair points.

I think Seattle is very diverse, for Asians. Every other person seems to be Asian here. Not sure what you're looking for. If that's how you feel, then yes, go back to China.

I'm Asian too.. I appreciate diversity and feel it's important, but Seattle definitely has an Asian slant to it. I think Seattle has a higher percentage of Asians than the majority of northeast cities. Curious why you came to this country if you don't want to be around whites.

Imagine if white people would go to your country and say what you just said. "I'd rather live in a second world white country then live in a city where I'm not the majority." If a white person said (out loud) "I can only live in a majority white city" he'd be called a racist, rightfully or not.
I was born here it was decided for me.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site 69.7% white does not sound like a diverse city at least for me. I prefer a 50% range... Also I have a long history of getting professionally burned in Seattle so I have developed a certain bitterness regarding it. Seattle and Chicago to me are the whitest major cities in America

@Edit: I didn't say I have to live in an Asian majority city. I said I want to live in a DIVERSE city...

Last edited by Yac; 10-02-2019 at 05:38 AM..

Old 09-23-2019, 01:00 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site 69.7% white does not sound like a diverse city at least for me. I prefer a 50% range... Also I have a long history of getting professionally burned in Seattle so I have developed a certain bitterness regarding it. Seattle and Chicago to me are the whitest major cities in America

@Edit: I didn't say I have to live in an Asian majority city. I said I want to live in a DIVERSE city...
I'm Asian and I've climbed my way up the ladder, and that's in cities that are well below 5% Asian. I'm pretty sure you can find an Asian country that would accept you.

Last edited by Yac; 10-02-2019 at 05:38 AM..

Old 09-23-2019, 01:03 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
There is no major city in the northeast as asian as Seattle.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:04 PM

264 posts, read 250,060 times
Quote:

I'm Asian in live in Kansas City.... 2.5% Asian. I think if you are Asian and live in Seattle you should consider yourself very fortunate if one of your goals is diversity at least from where I'm coming from. Sorry but, it's rather humorous to me considering the rarity of Asians in the midwest.

Last edited by Yac; 10-02-2019 at 05:39 AM..

Old 09-23-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
There is no major city in the northeast as asian as Seattle.
I don't care about living in an Asian city I just like diverse international cities. To me that's not Seattle by any measure, people there simply think they are world important it baffles me.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm Asian and I've climbed my way up the ladder, and that's in cities that are well below 5% Asian. I'm pretty sure you can find an Asian customer that would accept you.
As I've already said I don't care about being in an Asian city I simply want to live in a diverse city. Since you are already accomplished you cannot relate to someone who is still struggling to climb up their own ladder of choice. If I were already successful I'd love Seattle too.

For a young professional I do not see Seattle as the most promising city since it seems to only welcome large already successful companies like Amazon or Boeing and not small start-up type organizations.

Therefore I hope you can more understanding of people who are still struggling to have their success in life.

Last edited by Chinese French Italian; 09-23-2019 at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City