Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is less worth its cost?
SF 46 62.16%
Boston 28 37.84%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 06:20 PM

5,017 posts, read 3,911,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Haha Im just saying 70% vs 69% is not 'magnitudes' more diverse.
Agreed here.

SF actually feels more diverse to me, though part of that is the homeless population. I know it's talked about endlessly.. Not to beat a dead horse, but it's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 06:32 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:

And just to reiterate:
Boston's diversity is great but limited to city limits and a few inner burbs. SF has no racial diversity in 6/9 counties and you can drive for 80+ miles in a huge area, urban, suburban, rich, poor etc across 4 counties, with no racial or ethnic majority.
Vincent asked about at the city level, specifically. Also, it’s 75 vs 67% in regards to the share of population from the two largest racial groups. That’s a significant difference.

San Francisco will likely feel more diverse downtown but Boston’s residential neighborhoods are much more diverse(black/Hispanic)-especially ethnically-because they are.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:36 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:

And just to reiterate:
Boston's diversity is great but limited to city limits and a few inner burbs. SF has no racial diversity in 6/9 counties and you can drive for 80+ miles in a huge area, urban, suburban, rich, poor etc across 4 counties, with no racial or ethnic majority.
Also some of the more diverse places in the metro are in itssatellite cities like Brockton Lowell Methuen Salem Lawrence Lynn. So saying it’s just a few inner suburbs is VERY false The largest and highest concentration of minorities in the Greater outside of Boston are Lawrence(80% Latino 15% white) Lynn(37% white) and Brockton (41% Black) and Lowell(20% Asian-chiefly Cambodian and 20% hispanic) is still majority minority. None of which are inner ring suburbs.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:53 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times
Quote:
From your link:

Oakland is #1
Hmm - interesting that of the three major Bay Area cities SF is the least diverse (Oakland is #1 and San Jose is #7). Since Oakland borders SF and obviously there is a ton of movement between the two cities it gives SF a more diverse feel than the numbers show.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:36 PM

52 posts, read 35,261 times
Hi wow thank you everyone for your answers. I currently live in San Francisco right now and deeply enjoy the city. Even though there are problems with the city at my youthful stage I'm too caught up in the exhilaration of everything to really care. It definitely feels way more diverse and colorful and cultural than my hometown which is Seattle. That being said I don't know if I want to live long term in San Francisco because the cost is so high and I feel like at some point the system will break me... But if I could afford it than there's no question that I'd keep living here.

As for Boston I can see how Boston is not as much of a standalone city but is part of the Bos-Wash megalopolis (Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Washington D.C.). It's proximity to such world class cities makes Boston seem more appealing in that regard to San Francisco. Other than LA I don't see such a neighbor for SF and I'm not enamored with LA.

But honestly the real question is if I can afford any of this so this entire thread is just a temporary indulgence in wishful thinking. With enough money the question simply dissolves away because theoretically you could just afford living in both. So again the real question is money haha...

Old 09-23-2019, 12:30 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
The question is which city is less worth its cost, and since SF is so much more expensive it has that much higher of a bar. I don’t think it quite clears that bar, for me at least. Boston has as much of what I look for in a city as SF, besides the scenery and mild weather. But man, cheap and quick flights to Europe is an amazing asset for Boston. And it has a richer history. And it’s nowhere near as gross as SF with the public health and safety issues surrounding the homelessness issue.

I also really don’t appreciate the metro area discussions when the question is about the cities proper.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:56 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Quote:
Haha please manifest your envy in a way that actually makes sense and not with this^ nonsensical garbage.

Blacks are leaving major cities all over the country.

You have no right to demand that Blacks stay put in a location they dont want to be in if theyd rather sell their pricey house in the city and get a far cheaper yet far larger and far newer house in exurbia--the nerve of you.

Yawns tell that to the city's black female mayor.

And please give us the names of the people currently running this shadow operation to 'erase' blacks from SF.

There are 2 names at the top of the list: Supply and Demand.

Yup SF is The City for hundreds of miles in all direction yet there are 15 million people in NorCal nonetheless.

Uber and Lyft dominate SF these days, you cant get better door-to-door service than that.

Oh and SF is probably the most economically relevant city in the US right now after NYC.

Give me a goodbye kiss, let me tell you where to plant it.
No shame in letting that white privilege shine, huh? Sorry, I dont owe you an explanation for something you can't relate to, and something you are clearly oblivious to. I know part of your privilege demands that we ask how high when you tell us to jump, but I'm not your subordinate. Thanks for playing, though...

Old 09-23-2019, 02:02 AM

52 posts, read 35,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

SF could slide right into the ocean with the next major quake and I'd only be upset for one of my grandfathers, who is 77 and grew up in SF...
I'm sorry you have had to deal with such bad experiences. I actually feel like I can relate to you because I feel a similar anger to my hometown which is Seattle. I am not black but I can still relate to that marginalization by a white majority that is only superficially concerned with my inclusion as a non-mainstream demographic. I appreciate your input about San Francisco.

On the plus side your diatribe reminds me of the movie "the last black man in San Francisco". It looks pretty good maybe you've heard of it.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:35 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,876 times
Quote:
San Francisco is the most overrated major city in America and is the worst major city for people of the African diaspora. The complete blatant charge to marginalize and eliminate its black culture and communities is 50 years running now, just a deliberate action plan of black erasure...

For that alone it gets the answer to OP question. However, I'm acutely aware that I'm saying this on an online community that could give a rat's ass about anything black, so with that being said...

Let's add in the fact that SF is more relatively isolated than Boston, Boston has better and more extensive rail transit, Boston is more ethnically diverse, and Boston has a more compelling history and historical importance...

SF could slide right into the ocean with the next major quake and I'd only be upset for one of my grandfathers, who is 77 and grew up in SF...
I see what you're saying, but San Francisco has actually never had a large black population to begin with. Only 14% at its peak.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:00 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
No shame in letting that white privilege shine, huh? Sorry, I dont owe you an explanation for something you can't relate to, and something you are clearly oblivious to. I know part of your privilege demands that we ask how high when you tell us to jump, but I'm not your subordinate. Thanks for playing, though...
This is not a rebuttal, it's a cop out.

And Im not white, chief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City