Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 02:11 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Probably because overall the city and thus the core of the service area is losing population.

Also a side effect of young professionals replacing working class or poor people is that wealthy people might use Public transit for commuting but not everyday travel.

Places like Boston and New York have seen peak hour ridership increase while overall ridership drops because 2 people making 4 trips each were replaced by three people making two trips each.
Metro is also planning major expansion of LRT into some north side areas as well as wealthier south side areas. The majority of the system is in the suburbs.

I was just wondering why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2019, 06:34 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
This site places too much emphasis on small rail systems which honestly suck.

There is an app called Transit now for all major cities. I have said this once, I'll say it again. Scooters are a GAME CHANGER. Here in Louisville, we now have six companies and thousands of scooters. Couple this with a very advanced bike share, free electric circulatory buses, a passable bus system...and Lyft and Uber...and you can get anywhere in seconds. Louisville is building a Bus Rapid Transit line and planning more.

There are so many scooters in the core that almost anywhere cool you'd want to go, with the exception of New Albany, IN...you can find a scooter within a few blocks to take you there...point to point! No waiting for a train, no sketchy stations and agressive panhanders, nothing. The Transit app is unreal and it's not just useful in NYC and Chicago...I can find my location and find a scooter, bikeshare, or urban within a couple blocks of me in the urban core at almost any time.

Major rail transit is a thing for major cities...only 5 or 6 in this country have real transit systems. The rest are basically the same.

Last edited by Peter1948; 10-19-2019 at 06:45 PM..

Old 10-19-2019, 06:55 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,770,754 times
Is there any real evidence that scooters are a game changer? I find that really really hard to believe. it might be for a few hundred people in some cities on certain days. but I don't think this is a regular form of transit to work for the vast majority of people, or ever will be. if you have evidence to the contrary, I'd like to read it though. Especially in midwest and northeast, most people are not going to try to ride a scooter to work regularly, any more than a bicycle or motorcycle. although in warmer less rainy seasons it can be an option.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:07 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Is there any real evidence that scooters are a game changer? I find that really really hard to believe. it might be for a few hundred people in some cities on certain days. but I don't think this is a regular form of transit to work for the vast majority of people, or ever will be. if you have evidence to the contrary, I'd like to read it though. Especially in midwest and northeast, most people are not going to try to ride a scooter to work regularly, any more than a bicycle or motorcycle. although in warmer less rainy seasons it can be an option.
Actually the small wheels of a scooter makes them even worse. Bikes can have snow tires.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I am basing this opinion on the RAPID, and I mean RAPID opening of businesses along routes that scooters utilize in Louisville, Richmond, Raleigh, and a few other cities I have visited in the last 12 months. Scooters are an absolute game changer for these under 2 M metros! And most of them have the weather to support scooters 80% of the year. I feel perfectly fine riding scooters even in 30 degree temps with a big coat and hat on. What we are seeing here is almost TOD type of development.

https://psmag.com/ideas/e-scooters-b...rdable-transit

Regarding specifically midwest transit systems...I think scooters have really helped places like Louisville and Cincinnati. I agree that Cleveland and Pittsburgh et all are probably too cold for scooters and thus more reliant on traditional transit which is adequate as smallish large cities.

Last edited by Peter1948; 10-19-2019 at 08:15 PM..

Old 10-19-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I am basing this opinion on the RAPID, and I mean RAPID opening of businesses along routes that scooters utilize in Louisville, Richmond, Raleigh, and a few other cities I have visited in the last 12 months. Scooters are an absolute game changer for these under 2 M metros! And most of them have the weather to support scooters 80% of the year. I feel perfectly fine riding scooters even in 30 degree temps with a big coat and hat on. What we are seeing here is almost TOD type of development.

Regarding specifically midwest transit systems...I think scooters have really helped places like Louisville and Cincinnati. I agree that Cleveland and Pittsburgh et all are probably too cold for scooters and thus more reliant on traditional transit which is adequate as smallish large cities.

Eh, yeah that's just a motivational article. Until I see anyting with hard evidence of mass scale scooter ridership, I won't buy it. and its just not gonna happen , IMO. think of it. ladies are not going to do it mostly, that eliminates most of 51% of the population. of the men, many of them who might do it will only take scooters a fraction of the days of the year. it might all add up to about 5% of population at most, but thats being very optimistic on it. probably 1 % is closer to reality.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Eh, yeah that's just a motivational article. Until I see anyting with hard evidence of mass scale scooter ridership, I won't buy it. and its just not gonna happen , IMO. think of it. ladies are not going to do it mostly, that eliminates most of 51% of the population. of the men, many of them who might do it will only take scooters a fraction of the days of the year. it might all add up to about 5% of population at most, but thats being very optimistic on it. probably 1 % is closer to reality.
false. It's a massive shift. Where do you live?

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...lution/587440/

And this is old data. In a few years you will see....it only makes sense that it would be transformational for cities that embrace them. Also, with climate change, its a relatively cleaner technology.

Also, I am about to make a thread about it...but alot of you young kids here on city data don't remember the last several censuses. Well, I do, and the ACS is NOTORIOUS for being wrong...and over and undercounting cities.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:20 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:

Scooters are so popular in Nashville that the city recently enacted regulations to limit the number of scooters and what time they can be used. There have been many scooter accidents due to people being reckless and the poor layout of city streets. I don't see scooters reversing in popularity anytime soon. Nashville's generally mild winters will also help. Hopefully models will help the cities deal with them.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/25/1...cities-us-bird

Old 10-19-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Scooters are so popular in Nashville that the city recently enacted regulations to limit the number of scooters and what time they can be used. There have been many scooter accidents due to people being reckless and the poor layout of city streets. I don't see scooters reversing in popularity anytime soon. Nashville's generally mild winters will also help. Hopefully models will help the cities deal with them.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/25/1...cities-us-bird
Getting back to the Midwest....Louisville and Columbus are the two cities most positively affected by scooters being a real live transit system. And the Transit App makes finding each company easy as heck on one gps map!

I'm not arguing Louisville and Columbus have better transit than Cleveland or Buffalo...but they are easier cities to navigate from cool strip to cool strip by scooter than traditional rail systems in those cities. Guys, if you have not been to these cities in the last 18 months YOU HAVE NOT BEEN TO THESE CITIES.

First off, Louisville and Columbus have more scooter companies, at least 5 or six in each. Second, unlike a place like CLE, the urban core neighborhoods are more compact so there is free flow of scooters among the zones

In a place like Cleveland, the districts are further spread due to its history as a larger city. If I recall, last I was in Cleveland it actually locks the scooters outside certain areas like Ohio City, UC, etc...really all the places which are scooterable but not interconnected (but connected by RTA). However for a city like CLE, I think scooters make RTA more usable....since RTA is such a tiny system, I can scooter a mile to a station then get to where I want, then scooter another mile from the RTA destination station.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
false. It's a massive shift. Where do you live?

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...lution/587440/

And this is old data. In a few years you will see....it only makes sense that it would be transformational for cities that embrace them. Also, with climate change, its a relatively cleaner technology.

Also, I am about to make a thread about it...but alot of you young kids here on city data don't remember the last several censuses. Well, I do, and the ACS is NOTORIOUS for being wrong...and over and undercounting cities.

Lol. thats 85,000 AVAILABLE to rent, in all US cities combined. do you know how small a fraction that is? that's nothing. a drop in the bucket. not a game changer. I doubt it ever will be. Let's just suppose they're all in 100 cities, thats 850 per city on mean, available. that doesn't mean rented. its almost nothing. if you consider weather conditions, it gets much worse. Its not going to make a difference in mass transit so lets not pretend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City