Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 06:53 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Scooters are in all big cities (aren't they?). I know in Milwaukee, they banned them for a while, but now they're back. Last time I was there, they were all over sidewalks next to Lake Michigan. They aren't mass transit, though, and are an annoyance, as far as I can tell.
They only were allowed in the city of LA maybe 6 months ago and they are hit and miss if you travel around here. For example you can get one in LA and ride it through Beverly Hills. But if you end your ride in Beverly Hills and leave it, then it won't restart for the next person because Beverly Hills doesn't allow them.

Also, I don't think that I saw many in NYC. The ones there might be individually owned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 11:16 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
blah blah blah ... It's arguably the best midwestern system outside of Chicago (Minneapolis gets tons of undue praise for having two somewhat useful light rail lines that most people use to go to Target Field; people like new shiny things in cities that have been pre-ordained as "good").
LOL! Get out of here with your nonsense.

The following areas have direct connection via one or both lines
Downtown Minneapolis
Downtown St. Paul
University of Minnesota (East and West banks)
MSP International
Mall of America
the Midway area
the Capitol area
Target Field (MLB)
Target Center, (NBA & WNBA)
US Bank Stadium (NFL)
TCF Stadium (Big-Ten Football)
Allianz Field (MLS)
CHS Field (minor league baseball)
Numerous residential neighborhoods

Williams Arena (Big-Ten mens basketball), Mariucci Arena (Big-Ten men's hockey), Ridder Arena (Big-Ten women's hockey), and Xcel Energy Center (NHL) are also within a short walking distance of light-rail stop.

Nice try though.

Last edited by YIMBY; 10-20-2019 at 11:26 PM..

Old 10-21-2019, 01:06 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
The latest report from the Louisville government for September 1, 2019 shows 4 scooter companies currently operating, which combined are authorized to have up to 800 scooters operating in Louisville. Bolt and Spin just began operating in Louisville this past summer.

Bird - 250 max scooters
Lime - 250 max scooters
Bolt - 150 max scooters (began July 1)
Spin - 150 max scooters (began August 1)

https://data.louisvilleky.gov/dataset/dockless-vehicles
FALSE.

Lime has double that. And has provided 200,000 rides in less than a year.
https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...ouble-its.html

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...lt/1499757001/

There are 7 scooter companies licensed in Louisville. The information you cited has not been updated in over a year. I can tell you for sure I have used Jump and Lyft here too. Also the limits you posted were from almost two years ago when the city first approved these scooters the 150 was for a probationary period. There are way more than that added since this summer.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:06 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
These services don't generally require docks.
Gotcha.

I've not seen any shared scooters on the streets of Center City Philadelphia yet, nor do i recall reading about any of the scooter companies launching a service here.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:37 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
FALSE.

There are 7 scooter companies licensed in Louisville. The information you cited has not been updated in over a year. I can tell you for sure I have used Jump and Lyft here too. Also the limits you posted were from almost two years ago when the city first approved these scooters the 150 was for a probationary period. There are way more than that added since this summer.
These look pretty good for last and first mile trips in conjunction with transit for longer stretches and have been seeing deployment in a lot of the cities mentioned in this topic. On a recent trip to St. Louis, I saw a great deal of them in use and they are great add-on for the 60 million or so rides per year that the rail and bus system provide. All of these modes help build towards lessening the necessity of private cars for all trips and make for more active streets.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:31 AM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post

Downtown Minneapolis
Downtown St. Paul
MSP International
Mall of America
the Midway area
the Capitol area
Target Field (MLB)
US Bank Stadium (NFL)
Allianz Field (MLS)

Williams Arena (Big-Ten mens basketball), Mariucci Arena (Big-Ten men's hockey), Ridder Arena (Big-Ten women's hockey), and Xcel Energy Center (NHL) are also within a short walking distance of light-rail stop.

Nice try though.
You forgot MSP International airport...

... I think the point is valid that cities with new rail systems tend to have high ridership over older ones... Look at Cleveland: there was 3 times the ridership on today's Red Line in the late 50s/early 60s when it was Cleveland's shiny new toy (although rapid transit was not new to the area given the existing Shaker Heights LRT at the time), and 4 miles shorter than it is today. As I've noted, changed factors, notably the loss of downtown jobs and the decline, and steep population loss of many neighborhoods since that time have played a factor -- just look at East Cleveland, alone, the Red Line Rapid's eastern terminal, and that tells you all you need to know.

I'm glad the Twin Cities is progressive enough, among generally conservative (not necessarily politically) Midwestern Cities and begin building rail mass transit. There are things I like and dislike about Metro Transit. I like the Blue Line, and the projected Green Line extension to Eden Prairie because they are fast lines extending well into the suburbs. However both these lines bypass the dense, trendy walkable neighborhoods to the south of downtown Minny entirely which is a mistake...

I'm not a fan of downtown street running, which the Blue and Green Lines East/Southeast have extensively. I don't like rapid transit trains intersecting and running with auto traffic in dense areas. That said, while the Green Line east to St. Paul is direct and serves University of Minnesota's giant campuses, its entirely street running route is too slow -- that's not me saying that (I've never had the pleasure of visiting the Twin Cities -- someday, I hope); this is based on comments from residents and local newspaper writers.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:49 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post

... I think the point is valid that cities with new rail systems tend to have high ridership over older ones... Look at Cleveland: there was 3 times the ridership on today's Red Line in the late 50s/early 60s when it was Cleveland's shiny new toy (although rapid transit was not new to the area given the existing Shaker Heights LRT at the time), and 4 miles shorter than it is today. As I've noted, changed factors, notably the loss of downtown jobs and the decline, and steep population loss of many neighborhoods since that time have played a factor -- just look at East Cleveland, alone, the Red Line Rapid's eastern terminal, and that tells you all you need to know.

I'm glad the Twin Cities is progressive enough, among generally conservative (not necessarily politically) Midwestern Cities and begin building rail mass transit. There are things I like and dislike about Metro Transit. I like the Blue Line, and the projected Green Line extension to Eden Prairie because they are fast lines extending well into the suburbs. However both these lines bypass the dense, trendy walkable neighborhoods to the south of downtown Minny entirely which is a mistake...

I'm not a fan of downtown street running, which the Blue and Green Lines East/Southeast have extensively. I don't like rapid transit trains intersecting and running with auto traffic in dense areas. That said, while the Green Line east to St. Paul is direct and serves University of Minnesota's giant campuses, its entirely street running route is too slow -- that's not me saying that (I've never had the pleasure of visiting the Twin Cities -- someday, I hope); this is based on comments from residents and local newspaper writers.
Yep, the line hits a lot of important parts, but the street-running in dense areas makes it less than it can be. As a seismically inactive part of the US which loves it skywalks, it seems like an elevated line might’ve been better. What would have been best is if the Twin Cities had opted for the federal funding that allowed for the BART in SF, DC Metro, and Atlanta’s MARTA in the 70s which Seattle had also rejected. Now they both have to spend much more to get much less, but at least it’s improving.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:05 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Quote:
No, I mentioned MSP International - between the U of M and the Midway area.

Quote:

Totally agree.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:05 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post

Downtown Minneapolis
Downtown St. Paul
MSP International
Mall of America
the Midway area
the Capitol area
Target Field (MLB)
US Bank Stadium (NFL)
Allianz Field (MLS)

Nice try though.
Lol ok sorry there are several stadiums!

Sounds exactly like clevelands rta in terms of connectivity. One gets credit. The other doesnt.

Nice try.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:14 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,627,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
FALSE.

The Louisville city government website has ride statistics going up to September 2nd of this year. It says that updated stats become available a few weeks after the first of each month, which fits since we are a few weeks out from September 1.

That story about Lime that you have linked to is from just a few days ago and says it will go from 250 to 450. 250 for Lime is how much the supposed out of date city website says it had as of September, so it doesn't seem all that out of date or incorrect. The Lime expansion will bring the city up to 1,000, which is one thousand, not thousands.

The first story you link to is more up to date than the second story that is from June. The first story from a few days ago clearly states that there are three other current operators of e-scooters in Louisville, Bird, Bolt and Spin, just like on the city website. The story also says that Lime would become the largest fleet with the expansion.

When looking up the facts about e-scooters in Louisville I came across several stories which say the other authorized operators have become inactive in the city and their licenses to operate were in danger of being revoked. Some of the other operators, including Lyft told the city they no longer intended to provide scooters in Louisville.

https://insiderlouisville.com/govern...in-louisville/

A quote from the above article:

Quote:
Lyft contacted the city and announced that they’d decided they wouldn’t be bringing dockless vehicles to Louisville at any time in 2019.
Additionally, Lyft does not list Louisville on its website as being a city where it has e-scooters.

https://www.lyft.com/scooters#cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City