Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What State is more historic
Pennsylvania 57 49.57%
Massachusetts 58 50.43%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 09:06 AM

506 posts, read 476,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
The Whiskey Rebellion culminated in 1794, several years after the ratification of the U.S. Constitution and the relocation of the federal government to Philadelphia. The Whiskey Rebellion wasn't a reason that the U.S. Constitution was created and implemented, but actually a consequence of the federal powers of taxation enabled by the new Constitution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion
You're right. I was mistaken. I was thinking of Shays' Rebellion as helping to spark the Constitution. That actually happened in Massachusetts. So +1 for MA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 10:31 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Default Correction to post 98 -- NYC was Constitutional capital for one year, 9 mos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
In post 98, I wrote:

The first Presidential Inauguration took place on April 30, 1789.

https://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=false&doc=11

On December 6, 1790, the capital moved from NYC to Philadelphia. So NYC was the effective capital of the U.S. Constitutional government from April 30, 1790, to December 6, 1790, for a little more than 7 months.

https://untappedcities.com/2013/12/0...lphia-in-1790/
The bold-faced paragraph should read (year change and added material in italics):

On December 6, 1790, the capital moved from NYC to Philadelphia. So NYC was the effective capital of the U.S. Constitutional government from April 30, 1789, to December 6, 1790, for a little more than one year, 7 months.

Unfortunately, I then messed up the headline to this post. It should read, "one year, 7 months," not 9 months.

Old 12-13-2019, 11:00 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
You're right. I was mistaken. I was thinking of Shays' Rebellion as helping to spark the Constitution. That actually happened in Massachusetts. So +1 for MA
Yes, Shays' Rebellion was a very significant historic event and unfortunately reverberates today and inevitably IMO will do so even more in the years ahead.

https://www.history.com/topics/early-us/shays-rebellion

Economic despair, reflected partially in the opioid crisis and certainly exacerbated by it, has led to an upsurge of U.S. populism, initially reflected in the election of President Trump, but increasingly manifested in support for leftists such as Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-amer...-the-wealth-of

Imagine the years ahead as man-made climate change increasingly wreaks immense havoc, inevitably triggering great financial distress in coastal and other states most impacted, and with a nascent climate change migration escalating. Massive federal debt and unfunded liabilities will overwhelm the federal government and its ability to respond to any climate crisis.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...e-florida-keys

https://www.theinvadingsea.com/2019/...mpacts-worsen/

I guess I should stop here and move this discussion to a more appropriate current thread. I've started a thread in the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum as I find this issue very interesting and extremely relevant. For those interested:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post56856091

I'm very sympathetic to the participants in Shays' Rebellion.

I'm just a member of a vanishing breed who greatly enjoys history, and learns from it, and had not thought about Shays' Rebellion in several decades.

Thanks for resurrecting it in my consciousness!!!

Last edited by WRnative; 12-13-2019 at 11:24 AM..

Old 12-14-2019, 03:03 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post

For architecture, I'd again give it to Massachusetts. The Georgian and Federal architecture that Massachusetts' mostly cosmopolitan seaport towns helped lead the way in, later influenced the course of American architecture. McKim, Mead, and White studied the colonial architecture of Massachusetts. H. H. Richardson was influenced most by his experiences in Boston. You can argue that Louis Sullivan was influenced by Philly, but I still connect him more to Chicago.

And the Cape Cod house (the Cape) can be found across America.
It was another famous Chicagoan, Frank Lloyd Wright, who clued Philadelphians in on the importance of Frank Furness to the evolution of modern architecture - at the time, many of his buildings were being demolished, and his defense of Furness at Penn's Graduate School of Fine Arts (now School of Design) brought that to an end.

And speaking of modern architecture, the Modernist style that the Bauhaus created made its American debut via George Howe and William Lescaze's Philadelphia Saving Fund Society headquarters building (1932).

And speaking of Wright, one of his most famous works is the house he designed for Pittsburgh department store magnate Edgar Kaufmann, "Fallingwater," in Bear Run.

Philadelphia is also the home to Robert Venturi's firm, VSBA (Venturi, Scott Brown and Associates); Venturi refused to wear the mantle, but he is generally regarded as the architect who paved the way for postmodernism with his two influential books, "Complexity and Contradiction in Architecture" and "Learning from Las Vegas."

Pennsylvania had no equivalent of Charles Bulfinch, and it didn't give birth to a popular house type, but it is the locus of several famous buildings and at least two influential architects - not to mention an entire style of modernist architecture, the "Philadelphia School."

Old 12-14-2019, 07:03 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,912 times
I haven't read the whole thread but have people mentioned the history of PA in the French and Indian War? It wasn't a large scale war, but it did have a pretty big impact in the formation of the country in colonial times. and with George Washington being a big part of it (Fort Necessity, etc), and the defeat of the French and destruction of Ft. Duquesne in Pittsburgh.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:00 PM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Actually, New York was the capital for only two or three years, right around the time Washington was inaugurated. The capital moved back to Philadelphia in 1790 and remained there until it moved to its new permanent home in 1800.
Actually New York was capital under the Articles of Confederation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City