Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What State is more historic
Pennsylvania 57 49.57%
Massachusetts 58 50.43%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2019, 12:59 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times

Advertisements

Both states are known for their history and much of their image is based on it.

What state is factually more historic in your opinion?

Based on the following criteria:

PreColonial:
Colonial:
American Democracy:
American Revolution:
Civil War:
Industrial Revolution:
Roaring 20s:
# of 1sts:
Historical Assets:
Most historic Landmarks:
Historic Architecture:

Have fun!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 01:01 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times
I vote Pennsylchusetts.

No wait, make that Massylvania.

Old 11-21-2019, 01:32 PM

32,091 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Both states are known for their history and much of their image is based on it.

What state is factually more historic in your opinion?

Based on the following criteria:

PreColonial: No idea, a"push" I suppose.
Colonial: Massachusetts. The Bay Colony already had 40,000 people by the time PA had any settlers.
American Democracy: Draw
American Revolution: Massachusetts
Civil War: Pennsylvania. Gettysburg.
Industrial Revolution: Massachusetts
Roaring 20s: No idea.
# of 1sts: Pennsylvania
Historical Assets: Draw
Most historic Landmarks: Massachusetts has more 17th century structures.
Historic Architecture: See the above.

Have fun!
Responses in bold.

Old 11-21-2019, 01:41 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
PreColonial: PA
Colonial: Massachusetts
American Democracy: Pennsylvania
American Revolution:Massachusetts
Civil War: Pennsylvania
Roaring 20s: Massachusetts (Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard)
# of 1sts: Massachusetts by far (First Park, Subway, Public Library, Public School, Public College, University, etc you get the point)
Historical Assets: Both
Most historic Landmarks: Massachusetts
Historic Architecture: Massachusetts

Id give the nod to Massachusetts, but by no means is PA a slacker. Most of these were very close.

Old 11-21-2019, 01:56 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
PreColonial: PA
Colonial: Massachusetts
American Democracy: Pennsylvania
American Revolution:Massachusetts
Civil War: Pennsylvania
Roaring 20s: Massachusetts (Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard)
# of 1sts: Massachusetts by far (First Park, Subway, Public Library, Public School, Public College, University, etc you get the point)
Historical Assets: Both
Most historic Landmarks: Massachusetts
Historic Architecture: Massachusetts

Id give the nod to Massachusetts, but by no means is PA a slacker. Most of these were very close.
Wouldn't the industrial revolution go to Pennsylvania considering Philadelphia was essential workshop of the world during that time?, and you can't forget Pittsburgh.

I would also call the revolution a draw. More of the action took place in Massachusetts, but Philadelphia was essentially the colonies capital and most important governmental city during that time period, especially the years immediately prior to the Revolution. It rivaled London in terms of power and influence during those years.

And # of 1sts is certainly not MA by far... I actually think it leans toward PA, but I'd be willing to call it a draw. PA and especially Philadelphia have so many notable firsts including the first public fire house, fire hospital, first "planned" american city, first American flag, first mint, first zoo, first computer, etc.

And first university is certainly murky, because UPenn is among those considered the first.

Overall between the two states, neither one outshines the other, PA is a significantly bigger state and by sheer number of historic events, but thats the only difference I see.

Last edited by cpomp; 11-21-2019 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-21-2019, 02:13 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Wouldn't the industrial revolution go to Pennsylvania considering Philadelphia was essential workshop of the world during that time?, and you can't forget Pittsburgh.

I would also call the revolution a draw. More of the action took place in Massachusetts, but Philadelphia was essentially the colonies capital and most important governmental city during that time period, especially the years immediately prior to the Revolution. It rivaled London in terms of power and influence during those years.

And # of 1sts is certainly not MA by far... I actually think it leans toward PA, but I'd be willing to call it a draw. PA and especially Philadelphia have so many notable firsts including the first public fire house, fire hospital, first "planned" american city, first American flag, first mint, first zoo, first computer, etc.

And first university is certainly murky, because UPenn is among those considered the first.

Overall between the two states, neither one outshines the other, PA is a significantly bigger state and by sheer number of historic events, but thats the only difference I see.
Ehh for firsts im sticking by Boston... First Telephone, First Newspaper, First Printing Press, First Lighthouse, First Post office, First Organ Transplant, First Razors, First Police Force, Pretty much every technological advancement prior to 1900 happened in Boston, etc.. Philadelphia did have a lot of firsts, but Boston's were more significant in the long run. And no, Harvard predates UPenn by atleast 100 years. Harvard was founded in 1636, UPenn was 1740. Its not murky, I really dont know why UPenn says that...

Also, even though Mass had a lot of the action, a lot of the Revolutionary War stuff happened in Phily/PA. A lot of people say Mass is ahead on this, but honestly i see it as 50/50 tie.

For the Industrial Revolution I forgot about Pittsburgh completely.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Ehh for firsts im sticking by Boston... First Telephone, First Newspaper, First Printing Press, First Lighthouse, First Post office, First Organ Transplant, First Razors, First Police Force, Pretty much every technological advancement prior to 1900 happened in Boston, etc.. Philadelphia did have a lot of firsts, but Boston's were more significant in the long run. And no, Harvard predates UPenn by atleast 100 years. Harvard was founded in 1636, UPenn was 1740. Its not murky, I really dont know why UPenn says that...

Also, even though Mass had a lot of the action, a lot of the Revolutionary War stuff happened in Phily/PA. A lot of people say Mass is ahead on this, but honestly i see it as 50/50 tie.

For the Industrial Revolution I forgot about Pittsburgh completely.
Harvard was the first college.

UPenn was the first University.

Those are the 'technical' differences. Penn also was the first medical school. And the first business school.

Jefferson is the 2nd Medical school. Also located in Pennslyvania.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:38 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Harvard was the first college.

UPenn was the first University.

Those are the 'technical' differences. Penn also was the first medical school. And the first business school.

Jefferson is the 2nd Medical school. Also located in Pennslyvania.
First public school was Boston Latin.

A feel like a lot of first civil services were in Boston - Public transportation, police department, fire department, public schooling, library, etc.

Anyways, I'm not well versed enough in either to properly compare the two.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:48 PM

So far I am a little shocked at the polling, but not surprised. I feel like Pennsylvania is by far one of the most underrated states in the USA in terms of its assets/rankings. Massachusetts is a wonderful state and I think this is a healthy competition.

PreColonial: Massachusetts. It was settled and developed by the Puritans in larger numbers in the pre-colonial era than the Quakers. Although I will notate the Quakers were the greater contributors to democracy.

Colonial: Pennsylvania. Philadelphia definitely established itself as the center of colonial america. In this era it outranked Boston (for nearly two centuries) and began to set itself as the cosmopolitan, financial and political capital of the 'new world'. While Boston was significant. Philadelphia was considered to be the "NYC" of colonial America.

American Democracy: Pennsylvania. This is a hands down win. The United States constitution is considered to be modeled and drafted from the Pennsylvania constitution. Pennsylvania was considered the most powerful and influential state in early America.

American Revolution: Tie. Both states had a great deal of influence in the revolution. Although I think Pennsylvania comes out with a slight edge.

Civil War: Pennsylvania. Gettysburg.

Industrial Revolution: Pennsylvania. I am not sure where people think Mass was a heavy weight? Sure it was not insignificant in this era. But the Wharton's, Carneigie's, Mellon's, etc. all were a part of this era. The Pennsylvania Railroad was the 'apple' of today in terms of wealth and influence. The manufacturing base in Pennsylvania always has been strong in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

Roaring 20s: Tie. Yes. Massachusetts is known to carry a pocket of wealth. But Pennsylvania during the roaring 20s was the 3rd largest state in the USA. And had crazy wealth. Ever hear of the film The Philadelphia Story? Gladwyne, PA still is #2 to only the Gold Coast, NY in terms of wealth, outranking any Mass zip code. Pennsylvania is considered the 3rd highest ranking # of 'old money' in the USA. Behind only NY and MA today.

# of 1sts: Pennsylvania. Yes. Massachusetts has had many firsts. But Pennsylvania's are more significant. Everything from the first Medical School. Fire House. Library. Zoo. And a whole lineage of American traditions all started in Pennsylvania. From Girl Scouts to Mother's Day.

Historical Assets: Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania State House (Independence Hall) alone where Democracy was founded is profound in and of itself. Pennsylvania is home to the largest historic residential neighborhood in the nation. Society Hill. Amongst many many other things.

Most historic Landmarks: Pennsylvania. When you look past colonial history era. Pennsylvania is the clear winner. It most likely is due to our size. But it is significant.

Historic Architecture: Toss up. Massachusetts has great architecture. But so does Pennsylvania. They both are very distinct. But Lancaster, Pennsylvania is as historic as any inland city in Massachusetts with the preserved architecture to match. The highlight and differences to each. Is Massachusetts has a great deal of colonial wood architecture, where Pennsylvania colonial architecture is overwhelmingly fieldstone. I find the fieldstone more beautiful. But each their own.

Pennsyvania. America Starts Here. Fun Fact. That statement use to be our welcome sign slogan on every major Pennsylvania Entrance highway.

Pennsylvania's Quaker roots make us way more humble than we should be.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 11-21-2019 at 04:08 PM..

Old 11-21-2019, 03:52 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Two of my most treasured states! This one is definitely a "too close to call," thus I won't vote.

MA has the edge on original settlement and the American Revolution as compared to PA (although PA of course played a critical role); PA arguably has more post-revolutionary significance compared to MA (with MA obviously being highly significant).

Too many firsts and significant historic sites/structures to count in each state, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City