Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What State is more historic
Pennsylvania 57 49.57%
Massachusetts 58 50.43%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 04:04 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
So far I am a little shocked at the polling, but not surprised. I feel like Pennsylvania is by far one of the most underrated states in the USA in terms of its assets/rankings. Massachusetts is a wonderful state and I think this is a healthy competition.

PreColonial: Massachusetts. It was settled and developed by the Puritans and larger numbers in the pre-colonial era than the Quakers. Although I will notate the Quakers were the greater contributors to democracy.

Colonial: Pennsylvania. Philadelphia definitely established itself as the center of colonial america. In this era it outranked Boston (for nearly two centuries) and began to set itself as the cosmopolitan, financial and political capital of the 'new world'.

American Democracy: Pennsylvania. This is a hands down win. The United States constitution is considered to be modeled and drafted from the Pennsylvania constitution. Pennsylvania was considered the most powerful and influential state in early America.

American Revolution: Tie. Both states had a great deal of influence in the revolution. Although I think Pennsylvania comes out with a slight edge.

Civil War: Pennsylvania. Gettysburg.

Industrial Revolution: Pennsylvania. I am not sure where people think Mass was a heavy weight? Sure it was not insignificant in this era. But the Wharton's, Carneigie's, Mellon's, etc. all were a part of this era. The Pennsylvania Railroad was the 'apple' of today in terms of wealth and influence. The manufacturing base in Pennsylvania always has been strong in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

Roaring 20s: Tie. Yes. Massachusetts has always been a pocket of wealth. But Pennsylvania during the roaring 20s was the 3rd largest state in the USA. And had crazy wealth. Ever hear of the film The Philadelphia Story? Gladwyne, PA still is #2 to only the Gold Coast, NY in terms of wealth, outranking any Mass zip code.

# of 1sts: Pennsylvania. Yes. Massachusetts has had many firsts. But Pennsylvania's are more significant. Everything from the first Medical School. Fire House. Library. Zoo. And a whole lineage of American traditions all started in Pennsylvania. From Girl Scouts to Mother's Day.

Historical Assets: Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania State House (Independence Hall) alone where Democracy was founded is profound in and of itself. Pennsylvania is home to the largest historic residential neighborhood in the nation. Society Hill. Amongst many many other things.

Most historic Landmarks: Pennsylvania. When you look past colonial history era. Pennsylvania is the clear winner. It most likely is due to our size. But it is significant.

Historic Architecture: Toss up. Massachusetts has great architecture. But so does Pennsylvania. They both are very distinct. But Lancaster, Pennsylvania is as historic as any inland city in Massachusetts with the preserved architecture to match. The highlight and differences to each. Is Massachusetts has a great deal of colonial wood architecture, where Pennsylvania colonial architecture is overwhelmingly fieldstone. I find the fieldstone more beautiful. But each their own.

Pennsyvania. America Starts Here. Fun Fact. That statement use to be our welcome sign slogan on every major Pennsylvania Entrance highway.

Pennsylvania's Quaker roots make us way more humble than we should be.
Quick math 1783-1682=101 years. Philadelphia did not dominate Colonial America for nearly two centuries. That’s a blatant lie.

Also the US constitution was based off the Massachusetts not Pennsylvania constitution. (See: we don’t elect federal judges). As well as the Massachusetts consitutional convention was the one that created the whole idea of a constitution being seperated from Laws. (Something that doesn’t exist in day the UK)

Also Massachusetts is far more important in national politics. From JQA Sumner to Ted Kennedy to Elizabeth Warren Massachusetts Senator are often the leaders of the Progressive party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 04:16 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Quick math 1783-1682=101 years. Philadelphia did not dominate Colonial America for nearly two centuries. That’s a blatant lie.

Also the US constitution was based off the Massachusetts not Pennsylvania constitution. (See: we don’t elect federal judges). As well as the Massachusetts consitutional convention was the one that created the whole idea of a constitution being seperated from Laws. (Something that doesn’t exist in day the UK)

Also Massachusetts is far more important in national politics. From JQA Sumner to Ted Kennedy to Elizabeth Warren Massachusetts Senator are often the leaders of the Progressive party.
Ignorance beyond disbelief. You are 100% incorrect about the U.S Constitution. It is based on the Pennsylvania Constitution. Shall I remind you it also was drafted here in Pennsylvania.

Philadelphia was the Cosmopolitan, Economic, Political Capital of America for 100 years. (1750s - 1850s). And an economic and cosmopolitan capital for another 100 years (1850 - 1950). You probably have never heard of the Main Line, Pennsylvania. Most likely because we are Quakers and very humble people. Unlike the Puritans who burn people at the stake.

George Washington himself wanted the Capital to be in Pennsylvania. The only reason it is not, is because the two Senator's from Pennsylvania could not agree on its location.

You are undermining incredible history. I like Mass. The constitution was signed here. Not mass. Gettysburg happened here. Not mass. The Pennsylvania Railroad transformed most of early industrial America. Not mass. Your arguments are weak at best.

And I am talking about history. Why are you bringing up present politicians. ?

Old 11-21-2019, 05:09 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Industrial Revolution: Pennsylvania. I am not sure where people think Mass was a heavy weight? Sure it was not insignificant in this era. But the Wharton's, Carneigie's, Mellon's, etc. all were a part of this era. The Pennsylvania Railroad was the 'apple' of today in terms of wealth and influence. The manufacturing base in Pennsylvania always has been strong in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

# of 1sts: Pennsylvania. Yes. Massachusetts has had many firsts. But Pennsylvania's are more significant. Everything from the first Medical School. Fire House. Library. Zoo. And a whole lineage of American traditions all started in Pennsylvania. From Girl Scouts to Mother's Day.
To be fair, Lowell is considered the birthplace/cradle of the Industrial Revolution (American, of course). And the most influential innovators of the factory system were known as the Boston Associates. They were the smarts behind the system/processes used. Then came the Bank of the United States (Alexander Hamilton), which was the fiscal engine (that ultimately failed). Nevertheless, that was a huge part of the boom pre War of 1812.

As for number of 1sts, the first medical school came as a result of the first school.. District/higher education both started in Boston. Boston started the fire department, and police department for that matter. The first library was in Boston- somewhere between the 1650s and the 1710's (not to be confused with the oldest library, which I believe is in Peterbrough, NH. Either way, not Philly.

Other Massachusetts firsts:
First trading post
Thanksgiving
First public park
First public/private school
First post office
First American lighthouse
First issued newspaper
Navy was said to be Philly, though the Navy really started in Marblehead/Beverly
First novel
First State Constitution
First American railroad
First electric telegraph
First telephone
First public beach
First wireless broadcast of music/entertainment
First computer
Basketball
Gas powered vehicle
Volleyball

I combed through a bunch, but these stand out. I'm not sure if it's more than Philadelphia, but likely more substantial.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:23 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Firsts in Massachusetts are far more substantial. Logan Airport inbetween Terminal C and E have a walk through 'Museum' that dedicates all of Massachusetts' firsts and innovations from the First College to creating the World Wide Web (Internet)... Just astounding how any firsts MA has produced.

And yes, I forgot Lowell is known for being the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution, hence why they have a state coin after them.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:54 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Ignorance beyond disbelief. You are 100% incorrect about the U.S Constitution. It is based on the Pennsylvania Constitution. Shall I remind you it also was drafted here in Pennsylvania.

Philadelphia was the Cosmopolitan, Economic, Political Capital of America for 100 years. (1750s - 1850s). And an economic and cosmopolitan capital for another 100 years (1850 - 1950). You probably have never heard of the Main Line, Pennsylvania. Most likely because we are Quakers and very humble people. Unlike the Puritans who burn people at the stake.

George Washington himself wanted the Capital to be in Pennsylvania. The only reason it is not, is because the two Senator's from Pennsylvania could not agree on its location.

You are undermining incredible history. I like Mass. The constitution was signed here. Not mass. Gettysburg happened here. Not mass. The Pennsylvania Railroad transformed most of early industrial America. Not mass. Your arguments are weak at best.

And I am talking about history. Why are you bringing up present politicians. ?
Ted Kennedy has been dead for a decade. His largest achievements include the Immigration Act of 1965 and he crafted ACA (based on MassHealth). JQA has been dead for quite a while as well.

Again the Juducal Branch operates differently in PA than in the US. The US constitution more resembles the Massachusetts constitution than the PA one.

The reason that the US Capital isn’t in PA has nothing to do with PA inside politics it has to do with national
Politics. It was given to the South in return for absorbing state debts.

Also I would not say 1950 is colonial America

Last edited by btownboss4; 11-21-2019 at 06:46 PM..

Old 11-21-2019, 06:42 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
It would be helpful to see sources for these firsts, quite honestly.

I know that Connecticut actually had the first state constitution, neither MA or PA.

I'll list some documented notable firsts for PA shortly.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:06 PM

@Rowhomecity, if you posted this forum just to hear people go head over heals to PA, why did you post it?

Old 11-21-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
It would be helpful to see sources for these firsts, quite honestly.

I know that Connecticut actually had the first state constitution, neither MA or PA.

I'll list some documented notable firsts for PA shortly.
https://www.mass.gov/guides/john-ada...s-constitution
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_...(United_States)
https://www.crf-usa.org/images/pdf/g...nstitution.pdf

The original constitution of the US colonies was adopted in Hartford, CT.

A lot of misinformation online, but from what I can see, it looks like the first State constitution was actually NH.

Old 11-21-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
To be fair, Lowell is considered the birthplace/cradle of the Industrial Revolution (American, of course). And the most influential innovators of the factory system were known as the Boston Associates. They were the smarts behind the system/processes used. Then came the Bank of the United States (Alexander Hamilton), which was the fiscal engine (that ultimately failed). Nevertheless, that was a huge part of the boom pre War of 1812.

As for number of 1sts, the first medical school came as a result of the first school.. District/higher education both started in Boston. Boston started the fire department, and police department for that matter. The first library was in Boston- somewhere between the 1650s and the 1710's (not to be confused with the oldest library, which I believe is in Peterbrough, NH. Either way, not Philly.

Other Massachusetts firsts:
First trading post
Thanksgiving
First public park
First public/private school
First post office
First American lighthouse
First issued newspaper
Navy was said to be Philly, though the Navy really started in Marblehead/Beverly
First novel
First State Constitution
First American railroad
First electric telegraph
First telephone
First public beach
First wireless broadcast of music/entertainment
First computer
Basketball
Gas powered vehicle
Volleyball

I combed through a bunch, but these stand out. I'm not sure if it's more than Philadelphia, but likely more substantial.
Some more cool ones:

Original NHL team
Internet
First American pub
Chocolate
First U.S. marathon
First American restaurant
First college for women
First American football club (BL, 1862)
Oldest school of Music
First microwave
Facebook
Transplants and implants.. Kidney, in-utero cardio, face, bionic limbs

Old 11-21-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Some more cool ones:

Original NHL team
Internet
First American pub
Chocolate
First U.S. marathon
First American restaurant
First college for women
First American football club (BL, 1862)
Oldest school of Music
First microwave
Facebook
Transplants and implants.. Kidney, in-utero cardio, face, bionic limbs
And Chocolate Chip Cookie, from Toll House in Whitman

That right there is the most important one. You invent the cookie you win me over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City