Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What State is more historic
Pennsylvania 57 49.57%
Massachusetts 58 50.43%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 06:48 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Just to add one more note in the Historic Landmarks category, directly related to the American Revolution:

Pennsylvania has two UNESCO World Heritage Sites, including the first one in the country that was neither a natural feature nor related to the indigenous peoples of the Americas. (And because it's located in a city - also the first such UNESCO World Heritage Site in the US - the city it's in was the first in the US to be named a member of the Organization of World Heritage Cities, an advocacy and promotional organization with no formal ties to UNESCO.) The other, added this year, is part of a collection of buildings in several locations (none in Massachusetts) designed by the most famous of all American architects.

Massachusetts has none.
Jerusalem isn’t a world heratige city nor is Mecca or Baghdad while Bath England and Quebec City are city so I wouldn’t put a ton of stock into that as a good argument. Seems more of a historical preservation award than a anctual historical importance one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 07:27 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Just to add one more note in the Historic Landmarks category, directly related to the American Revolution:

Pennsylvania has two UNESCO World Heritage Sites, including the first one in the country that was neither a natural feature nor related to the indigenous peoples of the Americas. (And because it's located in a city - also the first such UNESCO World Heritage Site in the US - the city it's in was the first in the US to be named a member of the Organization of World Heritage Cities, an advocacy and promotional organization with no formal ties to UNESCO.) The other, added this year, is part of a collection of buildings in several locations (none in Massachusetts) designed by the most famous of all American architects.

Massachusetts has none.

Like everybody else in the state, I once took the yellow school bus ride to see some rock likely picked arbitrarily with 1620 engraved in it. Myles Standish, John Alden, and William Bradford supposedly stepped on it as they came ashore from the Mayflower. My rock trumps anything historic in Philly.

This whole thread is ridiculous. Both states are stuffed full of history.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:28 AM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Is the Boston Tea Party or Lexington being more important than the Battle of Germantown really a matter of opinion? Or the Industrial Revolution (in America) starting in Massachusetts? What historian would even dispute that?
I agree but some could find the convening of the Continental Congress(es) more important. I don't but some could have a contrary view.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:00 AM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Massachusetts started the American Revolution. Pennsylvania finished it.
Quote:
Or almost as accurate:

Massachusetts set off the explosion. They then took care of the paperwork in Pennsylvania.
Just great. On their way to a rep.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:01 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Like everybody else in the state, I once took the yellow school bus ride to see some rock likely picked arbitrarily with 1620 engraved in it. Myles Standish, John Alden, and William Bradford supposedly stepped on it as they came ashore from the Mayflower. My rock trumps anything historic in Philly.

It’s a thread because they’d kick the pants off basically any state not New York. It’s basically the only two that are comparable.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:45 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It’s a thread because they’d kick the pants off basically any state not New York. It’s basically the only two that are comparable.
Virginia likely has something to say. First permanent English settlement in North America. By far the largest and most influential of the 13 colonies. Gave us our first four presidents. Siege of Yorktown. Oldest public college in America. Primary theater of the Civil War with most important battles. If Pennsylvania gets credit for the Declaration of Independence, it would seem Virginia would get equally as much since its chief architect was a Virginia native.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:10 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3636...7i16384!8i8192 Thats pretty old, maybe like 1680 old.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:24 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Virginia likely has something to say. First permanent English settlement in North America. By far the largest and most influential of the 13 colonies. Gave us our first four presidents. Siege of Yorktown. Oldest public college in America. Primary theater of the Civil War with most important battles. If Pennsylvania gets credit for the Declaration of Independence, it would seem Virginia would get equally as much since its chief architect was a Virginia native.

Virginia's agrarian economy made it pretty insignificant on the national stage as the north industrialized. Other than some Civil War battles which kind of highlight the contrast between agrarian and industrial, Virginia stopped being significant 200 years ago. It's back to being significant now because of the DC-oriented NoVa prosperity which is Northeast Corridor. If you limit the scope to 17th century through the war of 1812, yeah.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:53 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Virginia's agrarian economy made it pretty insignificant on the national stage as the north industrialized. Other than some Civil War battles which kind of highlight the contrast between agrarian and industrial, Virginia stopped being significant 200 years ago. It's back to being significant now because of the DC-oriented NoVa prosperity which is Northeast Corridor. If you limit the scope to 17th century through the war of 1812, yeah.
What does that have to do with being "historic" though?

his·​tor·​ic | \ hi-ˈstȯr-ik , -ˈstär-\
Definition of historic
: HISTORICAL: such as
a: famous or important in history
historic battlefields
b: having great and lasting importance
a historic occasion
c: known or established in the past
historic interest rates
d: dating from or preserved from a past time or culture
historic buildings
historic artifacts

The synonyms for "historic" are "big," "consequential," "earth-shattering," "monumental," etc. If we're talking about "consequential" or "monumental" events in American history, then Virginia rivals any state.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:43 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Jerusalem isn’t a world heratige city nor is Mecca or Baghdad while Bath England and Quebec City are city so I wouldn’t put a ton of stock into that as a good argument. Seems more of a historical preservation award than a anctual historical importance one.
As I try to remind my fellow Philadelphians who point to this designation as though it's a Really Big Deal (we haven't completely shed our world-class municipal inferiority complex, though we have made great strides in reducing it), being designated a World Heritage City is significant only as a marketing and promotional tool. I doubt, for instance, that the township in Beaver County that's home to "Fallingwater" - the other World Heritage Site in Pennsylvania, part of a multi-site collection of Frank Lloyd Wright's most famous buildings - will seek World Heritage City status. (Besides, it's not a city.)

The historically significant item is having a UNESCO World Heritage Site (which is the ticket that qualifies you for admission to the OHWC). That's the global equivalent of a National Historic Landmark, and the process by which sites are so named also identifies what protections local and national governments have given the site and any pressures that could threaten its survival in current form.

And not all US World Heritage Sites are National Historic Landmarks. Cahokia Mounds in Illinois, for instance, is a World Heritage Site but only a state historic site.

This essay, written before the current Administration took office, explains among other things the role the U.S. government, mainly through the National Park Service, played in the creation of the UNESCO World Heritage Convention and the committee that administers the certification program. This essay explains how the Convention works.

Quote:

True dat, that last sentence. But surely you have noticed all the contests for bragging rights that take place here on C-D. The entire board that includes this discussion is one big bragging-rights argument; I guess this discussion is here because we don't have a "State vs. State" board within the U.S. section of the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City