Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami vs Philadelphia
Miami 69 43.13%
Philadelphia 91 56.88%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 05:54 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
But it’s Miami. It’s not like It’s Tampa or some smaller sunbelt.

It’s an MSA of 6.1M.

The MSA is more populated than Philadelphia...

Miami Density: 11,135 per sq. Mile
Philly density: 11,737 per Sq. Mile

Some of you guys are clutching your pearls as if I’m comparing Jacksonville to Philadelphia. Give me a break! And yeah. Lots of people don’t prefer DC, or they prefer elsewhere. Woo freakin hoo. And?

And yes. I realize MIA has smaller city limits, but the density holds up in border municipalities. But even so. Miami.... the city itself. Is plenty urban enough To be able to enjoy it more.

But again. I could see if Miami was like. A metro a 3 million or something. But it’s even larger than Philly so I’m not being all mr. irrational over here. And unlike other larger sunbelts, Miami has natural barriers to keep Its density up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 07:34 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
But it’s Miami. It’s not like It’s Tampa or some smaller sunbelt.

It’s an MSA of 6.1M.

The MSA is more populated than Philadelphia...

Miami Density: 11,135 per sq. Mile
Philly density: 11,737 per Sq. Mile

Some of you guys are clutching your pearls as if I’m comparing Jacksonville to Philadelphia. Give me a break! And yeah. Lots of people don’t prefer DC, or they prefer elsewhere. Woo freakin hoo. And?

And yes. I realize MIA has smaller city limits, but the density holds up in border municipalities. But even so. Miami.... the city itself. Is plenty urban enough To be able to enjoy it more.

But again. I could see if Miami was like. A metro a 3 million or something. But it’s even larger than Philly so I’m not being all mr. irrational over here. And unlike other larger sunbelts, Miami has natural barriers to keep Its density up.
To nitpick a little since your brought up MSA populations.

The Miami metro area is about 1000 square miles larger than the Philadelphia metro with virtually the same amount of people.

I understand Miami has natural boundaries (ocean and everglades), but the Philadelphia area is very sandwiched between other metros, so 6.1M people in 5000sq miles is a lot...

But I get your point, they are both major metro areas.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:22 AM

1,168 posts, read 777,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Depends. It seems the definition of “urban” is subject to a multitude of possibilities.
Lol No, it's based on one simple definition that can easily be googled.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:01 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
BTW, this was a very good initial criteria list—not just for a Philly v Miami comparison, but any city v city comparison. I can add a few other criteria important to me besides ones already listed and in no particular order:

—Homeless presence/visibility
—Airport and proximity to where I travel for business or pleasure (hub airport with direct flights OR is airport more regional with connecting flights through other cities necessary)
—Clean & clean cut presence with dress code enforcement at nicer establishments (some cities are too lax, NY’er in me coming out).
—Women (ratio and attractiveness)
—Tax situation (state income tax v none, homestead, property tax)
—Professional sports team representation
—Medical facilities
—Essential services and response time (police, fire, EMT....do dispatchers answer phones for non-emergencies or do you get voicemail or placed on hold for several minutes)
—Local population (diverse v homogeneous; educated; well traveled/worldliness v insular; style; easily offended/PC/sensitive vs direct and speak their minds; common sense/common courtesy)
—Local government (proactive to change and development or slow and limit progress; ease of starting new business/business friendly v excessive regulations and permit approval process, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Which do you prefer for the upcoming decade? Compare at both an urban and metro level. Criteria:

Economy
Urbanity
Skyline
Colleges and universities
Infrastructure (road conditions, public transit, bridges, water/energy sustainability and supply, etc.)
Tourism
"High culture" (theater, museums, opera, etc.)
Housing (supply, quality, affordability, variety, etc.)
Cost of living
Neighborhoods
Diversity
Distinction of local culture
Nightlife
Cuisine
Suburbs
Climate
Scenery and outdoor recreation
Geographic position (proximity/accessibility to opportunities and recreation outside of metro)

Last edited by elchevere; 12-18-2019 at 08:09 AM..

Old 12-18-2019, 08:18 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I understand Miami has natural boundaries (ocean and everglades), but the Philadelphia area is very sandwiched between other metros, so 6.1M people in 5000sq miles is a lot...
Not to mention greenbelts, parkland and conservancies. Preserves such as those managed and protected by the Brandywine Conservancy are integral to what makes access to nature by Philadelphians so easy. Sunbelt cities and towns typically don’t face such protections and basically annex and develop as far as their dollars take them, rendering green space further and further from city centers.

https://www.brandywine.org/conservancy/about/preserves

Old 12-18-2019, 08:23 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
BTW, this was a very good initial criteria list—not just for a Philly v Miami comparison, but any city v city comparison. I can add a few other criteria important to me besides ones already listed and in no particular order:

—Homeless presence/visibility
—Airport and proximity to where I travel for business or pleasure (hub airport with direct flights OR is airport more regional with connecting flights through other cities necessary)
Clean & clean cut presence with dress code enforcement at nicer establishments (some cities are too lax, NY’er in me coming out).
—Women (ratio and attractiveness)
—Tax situation (state income tax v none, homestead, property tax)
—Professional sports team representation
—Medical facilities
—Essential services and response time (police, fire, EMT....do dispatchers answer phones for non-emergencies or do you get voicemail or placed on hold for several minutes)
—Local population (diverse v homogeneous; educated; well traveled/worldliness v insular; style; easily offended/PC/sensitive vs direct and speak their minds; common sense/common courtesy)
—Local government (proactive to change and development or slow and limit progress; ease of starting new business/business friendly v excessive regulations and permit approval process, etc.)
How many places in NYC have dress code enforcement? The dress code at most restaurants and rooftops is "smart casual," which is open to broad interpretation.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:29 AM

Im not necessarily talking suit and tie; was focused more on not allowing shorts/flip flops/tank tops/etc in a somewhat nicer establishment. Smart casual (jeans, shoes, collared shirt) are fine. Even in Miami and as a then hotel guest in an expensive buttoned shirt and matching shoes but shorts I was refused admittance at Zuma restaurant (not the fanciest place in town, either) so I went back to the room and was allowed back in after changing into jeans. I recall being denied entrance to Peter Luger in shorts on a summer day as well (wasn’t expecting to wind up there that day, but a friend opted to go there). I have zero issue with such dress code enforcement and actually welcome it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How many places in NYC have dress code enforcement? The dress code at most restaurants and rooftops is "smart casual," which is open to broad interpretation.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:33 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Im not necessarily talking suit and tie; was focused more on not allowing shorts/flip flops/tank tops/etc in a somewhat nicer establishment. Smart casual (jeans, shoes, collared shirt) are fine. Even in Miami and as a then hotel guest in an expensive buttoned shirt and matching shoes but shorts I was refused admittance at Zuma restaurant (not the fanciest place in town, either) so I went back to the room and was allowed back in after changing into jeans. I recall being denied entrance to Peter Luger in shorts on a summer day as well (wasn’t expecting to wind up there that day).
Restaurants in Miami tend to be pickier about this than restaurants in New York. Zuma will not even allow sneakers.

Old 12-18-2019, 03:55 PM

1,168 posts, read 777,723 times
Quote:
Im not necessarily talking suit and tie; was focused more on not allowing shorts/flip flops/tank tops/etc in a somewhat nicer establishment. Smart casual (jeans, shoes, collared shirt) are fine. Even in Miami and as a then hotel guest in an expensive buttoned shirt and matching shoes but shorts I was refused admittance at Zuma restaurant (not the fanciest place in town, either) so I went back to the room and was allowed back in after changing into jeans. I recall being denied entrance to Peter Luger in shorts on a summer day as well (wasn’t expecting to wind up there that day, but a friend opted to go there). I have zero issue with such dress code enforcement and actually welcome it.
Not to nitpick, but with this and some of your other posts, it seems as if you're really only talking about one small segment of the overall Miami population.

In my opinion the average resident here dresses very casually and definitely not always clean cut. I think any establishment that allows jeans is pretty lax.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:18 PM

I did state nicer places—not all places, majority, or average.

I will show up to a number of spots in sweatpants/shorts and a ball cap in Wynwood, sports bar, Monty’s, or cigar bar but other places I frequent such as Zuma, Kiki on the River, Faena Living Room, Baoli, Joe’s, Sugar, Fiola, Mandolin Aegean, Trulucks, Swan/Bar Bevy, Novikov, among others, have some minimum “smart casual” dress enforcement at night (jeans fine—but shoes, not flip flops, shorts or tank tops) which I support and am glad is in place. I have lived elsewhere in which there was literally no dress code enforcement, including nicer establishments (meaning tank tops, shorts, flip flops at night in these NICER places was fine with the establishment). The women in Miami tend to dress to impress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Not to nitpick, but with this and some of your other posts, it seems as if you're really only talking about one small segment of the overall Miami population.

In my opinion the average resident here dresses very casually and definitely not always clean cut. I think any establishment that allows jeans is pretty lax.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-18-2019 at 05:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City