Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami vs Philadelphia
Miami 69 43.13%
Philadelphia 91 56.88%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 09:45 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What are you talking about, Willis? I wasn’t talking about making it a neighborhood—I was talking about a reprieve in air quality.
Air quality is what in the scope of Philly's recovery? It still did not have bad quality with the refinery going overall.

But its grounds could have been a great addition for investors. Sadly MY POINT IS IT WILL NOT. Willis indeed ..... guess we both are old enough to remember that TV sitcom. "Whatchu takin'bout Willis.

Chicago's far Southside Former Steel-Mill property that has had European investors plan new neighborhoods and release their plans. Sadly had a bit mere contamination found in need of being addressed first again.

Luckily the former Steel Mill on Goose Island near the Core is clean enough to proceed.

I merely added to the point of this closed now Philly Refinery and grounds. Sorry the truth is its grounds won't help Philly because of a century+ of contamination that includes the water-table. Just not the Water supply for drinking.

Last edited by DavePa; 12-19-2019 at 09:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 09:56 PM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Air quality is what in the scope of Philly's recovery? It still did not have bad quality with the refinery going overall.

But its grounds could have been a great addition for investors. Sadly MY POINT IS IT WILL NOT. Willis indeed ..... guess we both are old enough to remember that TV sitcom. "Whatchu takin'bout Willis.

Chicago's far Southside Former Steel-Mill property that has had European investors plan new neighborhoods and release their plans. Sadly had a bit mere contamination found in need of being addressed first again.

Luckily the former Steel Mill on Goose Island near the Core is clean enough to proceed.

I merely added to the point of this closed now Philly Refinery and grounds. Sorry the truth is its grounds won't help Philly because of a century+ of contamination that includes the water-table. Just not the Water supply for drinking.
Why would an area away from mass transit and downtown have been a great place for a new neighborhood? Better air quality from not having the east coast’s largest refinery is just overall sort of nice.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:47 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
haha edibles don't make for very sensible posting to C-D (this wasn't the case here ) but the city get's a lot of negative marks on general livibility while offering this "lifestyle" which isn't really that desirable for a lot of people. The enviornment's a negative as much or more so than it is a positive.

When you look at property crime by the metro area per 100,000 people, Miami's at 3200, Denver's at 2900, and Philly's at 2100. I probably overstated the crime problem, but it's not the best number.
You didn't overstate anything. You just didn't know what the hell you were talking about.

And the environment is relative to what one prefers. You can grow into hating colder or warmer weather. But generally speaking, since the advent of the A/C, Florida has been gaining much more than its been losing. It's literally taking cataclysmic events such as hurricanes and sea level rise to enact reverse migration patterns. That doesn't mean Miami is unpopular. That just means it takes a crap ton of uncontrolled events to drive ppl away from living there.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:57 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Why would an area away from mass transit and downtown have been a great place for a new neighborhood? Better air quality from not having the east coast’s largest refinery is just overall sort of nice.
YOU mentioned the Refinery SITE.
Quote:
Also, though it was a disaster that did it in, the giant refinery complex in southwest Philly, which was the largest on the East Coast, closed down recently which I reckon will do some small wonders for air quality at least temporarily. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the site.
YOU said it will be interesting what its land basically gets re-purposed for.

I merely read it is too contaminated basically for reuse. THE LINK highlighted it won't ever be a new neighborhood. So I used it.

Why did European Developers choose the former Steel Mill sight in Chicago. The furthest from downtown, to redeveloped into a new neighborhood and plans released? Being waaaay on the Southside fringe. But though cleaned up. More contamination sadly was found. So still in limbo. No L train-line to it either.

Developers unveil a new plan for Chicago’s long-vacant US Steel South Works site
The 12,000-home plan hopes to succeed where previous schemes failed

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/1/31...velopment-plan

The answer is because no city wants abandoned land left to be trashed and unsafe with no taxes to gain in a re-purpose. Honestly, why would you mention the Philly refinery sight and wonder what will be done with it .... than I give a link why it can't be reused ..... at least without a massive costly contamination over a century????

Old 12-20-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
YOU mentioned the Refinery SITE.

YOU said it will be interesting what its land basically gets re-purposed for.

I merely read it is too contaminated basically for reuse. THE LINK highlighted it won't ever be a new neighborhood. So I used it.

Why did European Developers choose the former Steel Mill sight in Chicago. The furthest from downtown, to redeveloped into a new neighborhood and plans released? Being waaaay on the Southside fringe. But though cleaned up. More contamination sadly was found. So still in limbo. No L train-line to it either.

Developers unveil a new plan for Chicago’s long-vacant US Steel South Works site
The 12,000-home plan hopes to succeed where previous schemes failed

https://chicago.curbed.com/2017/1/31...velopment-plan

The answer is because no city wants abandoned land left to be trashed and unsafe with no taxes to gain in a re-purpose. Honestly, why would you mention the Philly refinery sight and wonder what will be done with it .... than I give a link why it can't be reused ..... at least without a massive costly contamination over a century????
I did mention the site, but why and how would anyone want to turn it into a residential neighborhood at this point? The one thing that'd be unfortunate if it was recommissioned as a refinery again though that's certainly a possibility--which means that reprieve maybe won't be so lasting. The refinery alone was responsible for about a tenth of the particulate emissions for Philadelphia and much more of its carbon emissions, and the point is that Philadelphia gets better air quality at least temporarily. Better, or even good air quality is an attractive thing to a lot of people.

The US Steel Site might make some modicum of sense since it's at least close to the Metra Electric stop and other residential neighborhoods rather than other heavy industries, is on the lake waterfront and has already been demolished. However, that's neither here nor there, because this isn't the same site, the same kind of site, or even in either of the two cities being compared here.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:02 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You didn't overstate anything. You just didn't know what the hell you were talking about.

And the environment is relative to what one prefers. You can grow into hating colder or warmer weather. But generally speaking, since the advent of the A/C, Florida has been gaining much more than its been losing. It's literally taking cataclysmic events such as hurricanes and sea level rise to enact reverse migration patterns. That doesn't mean Miami is unpopular. That just means it takes a crap ton of uncontrolled events to drive ppl away from living there.
Hmm, so the city doesn't have traffic jams, great credit scores, many beautiful quaint non resort areas, and a thriving everglades next door

Yes, in general people prefer warm to cold, but to quote Jesus, "don't build your house on a sandbar foo!". That is the problem, and you make it sound like the disasters are as likely as getting hit by a meteor.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:19 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Why are we comparing one of America's oldest & historic cities to the newbie on the block?
Miami is only 123 years old !
Of course Philly is more urbane replete with far more educational and cultural institutions but I do think Miami has done well given it's time on Earth so far.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Why are we comparing one of America's oldest & historic cities to the newbie on the block?
Of course Philly is more urbane replete with far more educational and cultural institutions but I do think Miami has done well given it's time on Earth so far.

Well, it’s interesting to contrast two very different places in the US for the upcoming decade.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:32 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post

Philadelphia and Miami are very close in metro size yet appeal to different people for different reasons. Some people prefer old and some people prefer new (just as some prefer four seasons and some prefer hot/warm, and so forth). They are both heavily tied to NYC and there are plenty of NYC ex-pats in both metros, which I think adds to the comparison.

Urbanity, Colleges and universities and "High culture," are only three of many categories in the thread. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Old 12-25-2019, 11:46 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
You can have urbanity without rowhomes (see Toronto, Queens, and parts of NJ such as Paterson)
What we are referring to is urban fabric in general, which can really only be achieved in non car-centric places. Philly, NYC, Montreal, Boston, DC, etc., are prime examples of this. You can practically get around from one end of the city to the next on foot with minimal inconveniences. All the while, you’re passing vendors, corner markets, tons of other people, etc. Having a few blocks of Brickell doesn’t make the city a pinnacle of urbanity.
Lots of people don’t like heavily urban cities, and that’s fine. They tend to be dirtier, smellier, grittier, etc.
I agree with everything you said. Miami is dense but not "urban" as Philly. There is not a lot of pedestrian activity you see all over Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City