Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami vs Philadelphia
Miami 69 43.13%
Philadelphia 91 56.88%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 04:26 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,397 times

Advertisements

Both are in states I wouldn't care to live in, but I'd much rather live in Miami for even one month, over Philadelphia. Those big Northeast cities are on a downward spiral, IMO. Miami, even with its crime and oppressive heat, is more enticing to the next generation from all I've read. Philly is old hat, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 05:21 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Both are in states I wouldn't care to live in, but I'd much rather live in Miami for even one month, over Philadelphia. Those big Northeast cities are on a downward spiral, IMO. Miami, even with its crime and oppressive heat, is more enticing to the next generation from all I've read. Philly is old hat, lol.
How exactly are the big Northeastern cities on a downward spiral?

Old 12-18-2019, 06:32 PM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How exactly are the big Northeastern cities on a downward spiral?
I'm questioning this too... Last I checked, NYC is going through quite a major economic surge, as are Philly and Boston.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:13 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,136,516 times
This is kind of obvious, Philly. One city needs all the cards to play correctly to keep its current momentum and avoid disaster while the other would need all the cards to go the wrong way to start going downhill. Once Miami becomes uninsurable, it's done...

Miami's the worst big city in the US, but apparently the Instagram people vote otherwise with their tourist dollars, people who's primary hobbies include sitting around and drinking on a sandbar and "clubbing"... It's got a crime problem, large swaths of ghetto, very pricey, horrible traffic, culture of people who are terrible with money and can't delay gratification and do tons of cocaine, the everglades are in trouble, and by 2100 the city is underwater.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:14 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Where are you getting this from?

Old 12-18-2019, 08:51 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
The Northeast Corridor is one of the few consistently prosperous regions in the US and continues to be a massive driver of economic activity and growth. Obviously the largest, by far.

In fact, it's the exact opposite of a "downward spiral" and arguably the best prepared segment of the country for the future. But that's a whole other thread.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:03 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Boston and DC have seriously expanded their economy and drastically increased their populations.

New York has kept up with the pace of the economy.

Philadelphia is on the brink of a renaissance as seen in Boston and DC.

Tell me, how is the Northeast on a downward spiral? Its not 2006 when companies fled to Dallas and Atlanta faster than you could blink.

Also, theres one thing the Northeast corridor has that other cities dont on the scale of the Northeast. Thats the plethora and density of highly regarded universities.

Maine: Bates, Colby, Bowdoin
Vermont: Middlebury, UVM
New Hampshire: Dartmouth (Ivy)
Greater Boston/Providence: Harvard (Ivy), MIT (Ivy+), Brown (Ivy), Tufts, BUniversity, BCollege, Northeastern, Berklee, Emerson, Brandeis, Bentley, Babson, Mass College of Pharm, Simmons, College of the Holy Cross, Wellesley, URI, Providence, Bryant, RI School of Design
College Belt (MA/CT): Amherst College, Williams, UMass Amherst, UConn, Smith College, Trinity, Weselyan
Coastal Connecticut: Yale (Ivy), Quinnipiac
Greater New York: Columbia (Ivy), NYU, Fordham, Pratt Institute, Rutgers New Brunswick, Barnard, Baruch, City College, NJIT, Stevens Institute, Queens, FIT, Vassar
Greater Philadelphia: Princeton (Ivy), UPenn (Ivy), Drexel, Temple, Swarthmore, Villanova, Bryn Mawr
Greater Baltimore: John Hopkins, Loyola
Greater Washington: Georgetown, George Washington, George Mason, American U, Howard
Upstate NY: Cornell (Ivy), SU, Colgate, Ithaca, Binghamton, URI, RIT, Union
Pennsylvania: UPittsburgh, Penn State

These universities will forever funnel in brains, power, and growth to the areas listed above. The cities/regions may fall, but they will always have the resources of these fine establishments behind them.

Now that I think about it, all major NE Corridor cities can withstand an economic downturn and are very well prepared with all of their specializations:
Boston: Biotechnology, Pharma, Life Science, and AI Industries.
New York: Finance and Economic Industries.
Philadelphia: Finance and whatever the 2020s bring to Philadelphia. Philadelphia will only prosper, it has the bones, the skyline, the density and the brainpower.
DC: Government and Political Associations, National Security, Technology

However back on topic.. whether it is 2021, or 2024, or even 2028... Philadelphia will grow and prosper. It has everything. Close to beaches, mountains, NY/DC/Boston, has major international flights with upcoming flights to Africa, a great rail system, a well-positioned downtown, educated workforce and a ton of other things. There are scores of companies based in Philadelphia too. The weather isnt that bad either, and variates... the winters arent as bad as NY/Boston, and the summers arent as brutal as DC. Philadelphia is a win-win for success. I cant see it NOT grow. Maybe I am over exaggerating, but seriously, Philly really can only go up with all this potential to be better than it is, and its great as it is right now to start. I look forward to seeing what happens to Philly in the 2020s. In 2035, I want to be having the discussion on how great Philly got in the 2020s and how much growth the city has seen.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 12-18-2019 at 09:32 PM..

Old 12-19-2019, 02:26 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,556,774 times
That’s fine if you prefer Philadelphia but I think your opinion of Miami is a little off and/or reflective of someone who consumed a few too many holiday edibles at one of their local Denver cannabis lounges before posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
This is kind of obvious, Philly. One city needs all the cards to play correctly to keep its current momentum and avoid disaster while the other would need all the cards to go the wrong way to start going downhill. Once Miami becomes uninsurable, it's done...

Miami's the worst big city in the US, but apparently the Instagram people vote otherwise with their tourist dollars, people who's primary hobbies include sitting around and drinking on a sandbar and "clubbing"... It's got a crime problem, large swaths of ghetto, very pricey, horrible traffic, culture of people who are terrible with money and can't delay gratification and do tons of cocaine, the everglades are in trouble, and by 2100 the city is underwater.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-19-2019 at 03:14 AM..

Old 12-19-2019, 02:51 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:

Clown post. Barnum And Bailey's kinda post.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:25 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:

Miami's rate of violent crime isn't that much higher than Denver's.

St. Louis - 66.07
Baltimore - 55.57
Detroit - 39.80
Chicago - 24.13
Philadelphia - 20.06
Pittsburgh - 17.98
Washington - 16.72
Atlanta - 16.41
Nashville - 16.30
Louisville - 15.93
Savannah - 14.41
Des Moines - 12.89
Houston - 11.50
Miami - 11.23
Minneapolis - 10.02
Durham - 8.55
Boston - 8.35
Denver - 8.35
Los Angeles - 7.01
Madison - 4.30
Seattle - 3.74
New York - 3.39
Honolulu - 3.23
Austin - 2.57

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_crime_rate

Honestly, I don't know how you can live in Denver. Seems like you'd want to live some place safer like New York or Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City