Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami vs Philadelphia
Miami 69 43.13%
Philadelphia 91 56.88%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 01:13 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Very fair. No one needs attack anyone for a view and opinion and even a not sure is fine. Miami can only win on scenery and outdoor recreation if the beach and water sports are your game. For me they are my game if I only could live in such close proximity. Though under scenery can merely be vistas that a ocean and bay can provide.

Some posters do not realize that Philadelphia did win this poll. There needs be no over defensive moves in a thread their preferred city did win.
Funny, because you were the first to respond back to that poster, quickly shooting down Philadelphia (per usual), in any way you could. And added this nice little comment. "I understand you're awakening this thread to hype for Philly as the one thread it was getting good chatter. "

So you can respond, but if anyone else does (especially in Philadelphia's favor), then its dramatic, defensive, personal...? Got it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 02:46 PM

1,803 posts, read 935,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Funny, because you were the first to respond back to that poster, quickly shooting down Philadelphia (per usual), in any way you could. And added this nice little comment. "I understand you're awakening this thread to hype for Philly as the one thread it was getting good chatter. "

So you can respond, but if anyone else does (especially in Philadelphia's favor), then its dramatic, defensive, personal...? Got it...
I will not respond to this pettiness again. Read my first post to the reopener of the sleeping thread below. Though I did say this thread reopened to boost for Philly. I also added I applaud that reopeners zeal for Philadelphia.

I said I was ONLY addressing Skyline nothing more. I am not the intellectual here with numerous degrees. I do know if I say just one aspect of the whole list of the original OP's given list and the person who reopened this thread. I said would address no others and I complimented Philadelphia's newer office towers it has gotten. There was no mocking or demeaning of your hometown here. There was nothing demeaning in my post.

Please do not use personal vendettas of sorts to smear my post and bait me to respond to a nonsensical post that go way overboard to merely every members ability to add their opinion and why to these threads.
Quote:
I understand you're awakening this thread to hype for Philly as the one thread it was getting good chatter. But for skyline and shear scope of residential towers and numbers from Miami Beach (in the Miami Metro) up to Ft Lauderdale I had plenty of great times on vacation. Then downtown Miami that has its share of residential towers. It is hard to not say Skyline goes to Miami whether you include the metro or not.

It has the high-rise numbers that few N.A. cities come close.I won't debate the other Philly wins in your list. Just Skyline. Not to take away form the Office Towers Philly has gotten last few years are impressive. Still OMG hard to say Miami and Miami Beach that is just its unattached twin extension of the Core.

And what a setting. Sorry. Just Miami Beach alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nwphJbOYuE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfoH0_9pXck

I won't address housing stock or neighborhoods either. Just would get .....

I applaud your zeal for Philadelphia and that it is going to come out of this pandemic and protest era as the King city of the Northeast, or less blemished and will boom.
My first post in response and I clearly noted on Skyline alone and I would not add to the other criteria as I found that posters other ones I did not disagree with. I said nothing about bland towers in Philly as you then said about Miami. I would not go to them lengths to seek some revenge in just a chat forum that is not changing anyones lives. It is just opinion with stats where possible especially where a city is vs another. My stats were merely YouTube videos.

Sorry if it offended you and I see nothing in that post to have anyone see it as demeaning to either city, nor my following post that had me reply to nonsense not there or intended. I like South Florida and its high-rise living and setting is still spectacular along the coast. Sadly I cannot afford it.

Why some feel they need to defend Philadelphia's honor somehow tarnished by me?? I do not know? I wish all our cities recover from this current Protest and riot era and Philadelphia and all these cities hit do a full recovery.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:10 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,121,217 times
Quote:
I will not respond to this pettiness again. Read my first post to the reopener of the sleeping thread below. Though I did say this thread reopened to boost for Philly. I also added I applaud that reopeners zeal for Philadelphia.

I said I was ONLY addressing Skyline nothing more. I am not the intellectual here with numerous degrees. I do know if I say just one aspect of the whole list of the original OP's given list and the person who reopened this thread. I said would address no others and I complimented Philadelphia's newer office towers it has gotten. There was no mocking or demeaning of your hometown here. There was nothing demeaning in my post.

Please do not use personal vendettas of sorts to smear my post and bait me to respond to a nonsensical post that go way overboard to merely every members ability to add their opinion and why to these threads.

My first post in response and I clearly noted on Skyline alone and I would not add to the other criteria as I found that posters other ones I did not disagree with. I said nothing about bland towers in Philly as you then said about Miami. I would not go to them lengths to seek some revenge in just a chat forum that is not changing anyones lives. It is just opinion with stats where possible especially where a city is vs another. My stats were merely YouTube videos.

Sorry if it offended you and I see nothing in that post to have anyone see it as demeaning to either city, nor my following post that had me reply to nonsense not there or intended. I like South Florida and its high-rise living and setting is still spectacular along the coast. Sadly I cannot afford it.

Why some feel they need to defend Philadelphia's honor somehow tarnished by me?? I do not know? I wish all our cities recover from this current Protest and riot era and Philadelphia and all these cities hit do a full recovery.
Countless sources list Philadelphia within the top 7 skylines in the nation, out of all the points you could have pushed for in Miami's favor, this one is the least arguable.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:13 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Replace the word Philadelphia with Atlanta, and he does the exact same thing - but he goes after Atlanta and it's defenders even harder.

The only place that is ever mentioned in a positive light is Chicago, and it's almost always over the top and borderline nauseating.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Replace the word Philadelphia with Atlanta, and he does the exact same thing - but he goes after Atlanta and it's defenders even harder.

The only place that is ever mentioned in a positive light is Chicago, and it's almost always over the top and borderline nauseating.
You have labeled and believe you have called out so many people lessening Atlanta it gets threads closed. You helped to get plenty of threads closed labeling others as not giving Atlanta credit and known Atlanta haters you label them in so many threads.

This post of yours gained a response to the poster you responded to here in a manner calling you out for boasterism. So really no leg to stand on pointing fingers continually everybody else has it in for Atlanta and they should be credited for their post by you in even threads that go closed. SHOULD WW NOT DO THIS -- lashing our and labeling?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl;
The desperate attempts to discredit Atlanta and 'put it in its place' in this thread are some of the most pathetic in recent memory.
Quote:
Let's just say he has issues with Atlanta. The only thing that would impress him is if we somehow fell off a cliff...
Quote:
The thread didn't start out this way at all. With the exception of a few troublemakers one-off posts, it didn't really take this turn until a certain ex-Atlantan with a HUGE axe to grind did multiple drive-by posts turning it into this. He has since disappeared, like he always does.
Quote:
LOL! You refuse to accept the fact that Atlanta has more International arrivals than SFO. At this point you are becoming desperate. Pretty pathetic that you are so threatened.
As far as Fiji Airways, you are flat out wrong. They have a whopping 2 flights a week SEASONALLY from SFO. Look it up. They fly year round daily to LAX, but SFO is too small of a market to support that. Insisting otherwise reduces your credibility even more.
This response then followed by you to me. In yet another closed thread.
Quote:
And yet another one threatened by the mere mention of Atlanta.
The international arrivals ranked by Airports that I posted are hard and true, irrefutable facts. Sorry if you have a problem with it.
Below is your response to me when you brought into a thread the term"filthadelphia".
Quote:
Regarding Philadelphia,I never heard of that term until friends that live there told me about it. It's true though,outside of Center City it's the dirtiest major city in the country in my opinion.
I've never seen that much trash and crap laying around anywhere else I've been. I mean, I saw multiple people just throw things down as they walked, oftentimes with trashcans within easy reach. Someone came up with that name for a reason.
I am sure Philadelphian's see you as a friend of their city to applaud you?

On Chicago I did find your post generally nothing to need to complain. So I have nothing personal to say you are a hater LOL. Really, on must really be a hard A_ _ to get a label of hating that city by me. It is generally politically they do it. That is another animal then.

This thread is just gaining rediculous post and responses and not going anywhere. I will be surprised if it is not close, or anymore calling anyone out as a hater or labeling them and it will be. No one even responded to any of the post using the OP's list but me and on the Skyline criteria alone.

The rest were personal labeling but for the person who reopened the thread and did not go that route. Sadly, just my post claiming Miami wins on Skyline for the thread. Was taken to this level of personal comments that my comment and YouTube videos should never have had anyone go rogue on.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:42 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Guess I struck a nerve. As usual, it's extremely hard to decipher anything you post...

Old 06-12-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Guess I struck a nerve. As usual, it's extremely hard to decipher anything you post...
You mean your quoted post lashing out. Well it is a Perfect day by me and I am getting out. Low humidity sunny and crystal clear. Have a good day too.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:19 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times
Quote:
I will not respond to this pettiness again.
Quote:
I understand you're awakening this thread to hype for Philly as the one thread it was getting good chatter.
I'm going to just leave this here, Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Economy: Philadelphia
Urbanity: Philadelphia
Skyline: Miami
Colleges and universities: Philadelphia
Infrastructure (road conditions, public transit, bridges, water/energy sustainability and supply, etc.): Mixed.. but leaning Miami?
Tourism: It depends-Miami is more successful as a tourism destination though Philadelphia overall has more appeal for me.
"High culture" (theater, museums, opera, etc.): Philadelphia
Housing (supply, quality, affordability, variety, etc.): Not Sure
Cost of living: Philadelphia
Neighborhoods: Philadelphia
Diversity: Miami
Distinction of local culture: Compared to the rest of the US... Miami
Nightlife: Miami
Cuisine: Comparable
Suburbs: Even
Climate: Philadelphia for me
Scenery and outdoor recreation: Philadelphia for me
Geographic position (proximity/accessibility to opportunities and recreation outside of metro): Philadelphia
Agree with most here, cavsfan, but I think Philadelphia blows it away in "Suburbs." Philadelphia has some of the most historic, charming and walkable suburbs in the US. Many are loaded with character, have little downtown area and have great rail access to Philadelphia's core.

Last edited by Muinteoir; 06-12-2020 at 11:28 AM..

Old 06-12-2020, 11:32 AM

17,191 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I'm going to just leave this here, Dave.

Agree with most here, cavsfan, but I think Philadelphia blows it away in "Suburbs." Philadelphia has some of the most historic, charming and walkable suburbs in the US. Many are loaded with character, have mini-downtowns and great rail access to Philadelphia's core.
Pretty much this.
Not taking anything away from Miami's suburbs -- I want to move to Weston one day, if given the opportunity and I remain in FL -- but I have relatives in the Philly suburbs who live in some of the nicest places I've ever seen. This stretches into NJ and Delaware, and some parts are just breathtaking.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:18 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,121,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Pretty much this.
Not taking anything away from Miami's suburbs -- I want to move to Weston one day, if given the opportunity and I remain in FL -- but I have relatives in the Philly suburbs who live in some of the nicest places I've ever seen. This stretches into NJ and Delaware, and some parts are just breathtaking.
Drescher and EastNorriton are some of favorite Philadelphia suburbs. I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City