Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is best overall in the 2020's
Virginia 110 62.50%
Georgia 66 37.50%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 08:05 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Both of those reasons are a part of why I think that Tysons is a better comparison. The entire argument is still weird because one is an entire county and one is one district of a larger city. Rosslyn-Balston is a district in a larger county. I don't really see the difference is what I'm saying. I mean Arlington has its own school district for christ's sake lol. It's weird comparing an entire county to one commercial district while in the same breath, taking away points from one for covering a larger area, as its an entire county. To me, it stands to reason that if that's the case then one could use the density of the entire city of Atlanta for Midtown as it does not stand alone just as Rosslyn doesn't. I think that it's a fruitless argument, either way, I just found that reasoning odd. I hope I explained that decently enough. Like you are saying he can't separate Rosslyn/Balston from Arlington to compare to Midtown Atlanta but you are choosing to only look at Midtown at the same time. Know what I mean? When discussing density, people usually try to compare areas that cover a similar area, geographically. I also think that your number 2 shows a disconnect in how you are choosing to view Arlington. Its an entire county, of course, it's going to have a mall somewhere in it lol. It also has county services buildings and a host of other things that a district wouldn't have because it's an entire county.
I also specifically noted that Midtown was comparable to pockets of Arlington which are mparable in size to Midtown. I then specified the ballston rosslyn corridor. Its a thing, a business district, people can google it. Alot of people will try to compare area based on size and function of specific areas hence downtown comparisons always including size etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 08:09 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
Both of those reasons are a part of why I think that Tysons is a better comparison. The entire argument is still weird because one is an entire county and one is one district of a larger city. Rosslyn-Balston is a district in a larger county. I don't really see the difference is what I'm saying. I mean Arlington has its own school district for christ's sake lol. It's weird comparing an entire county to one commercial district while in the same breath, taking away points from one for covering a larger area, as its an entire county. To me, it stands to reason that if that's the case then one could use the density of the entire city of Atlanta for Midtown as it does not stand alone just as Rosslyn doesn't. I think that it's a fruitless argument, either way, I just found that reasoning odd. I hope I explained that decently enough. Like you are saying he can't separate Rosslyn/Balston from Arlington to compare to Midtown Atlanta but you are choosing to only look at Midtown at the same time. Know what I mean?
Did you read anything I just explained?What are you arguing because I never said I disagreed with Tyson being more comparable.I just made it very clear it wasnny me that singled out Midtown in the first place.JEez
Ebock:
Quote:
I've lived there. 8th and Juniper baby right next to skyscrapers, single family homes and strip malls in midtown!

Quote:
You know Queens,Long Island and Staten Island all have single family homes and thats NYC proper. Chicago too has areas with single family homes and small strip malls,although I would not call them that in a traditional since as we are talking about a few shops surrounded by higher density buildings.
You should compare the density numbers for midtown and queens/LIC. You know this plays a huge part in the lifestyle of an area right? And, if you think Staten Island is comparable to Midtown then that's all you. For Chicago, you gotto be far outside the city core areas to start seeing development like the below.

A huge chunk of midtown looks like this.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7795...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7792...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7744...7i16384!8i8192

http://https://www.city-data.com/for...6-post265.html

So if you dont like the comparison talk to him as was the first that kept bringing up a pocket in the city

Old 01-06-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Did you read anything I just explained?What are you arguing because I never said I disagreed with Tyson being more comparable.I just made it very clear it wasnny me that singled out Midtown in the first place.JEez
Ebock:

Quote:
You know Queens,Long Island and Staten Island all have single family homes and thats NYC proper. Chicago too has areas with single family homes and small strip malls,although I would not call them that in a traditional since as we are talking about a few shops surrounded by higher density buildings.
You should compare the density numbers for midtown and queens/LIC. You know this plays a huge part in the lifestyle of an area right? And, if you think Staten Island is comparable to Midtown then that's all you. For Chicago, you gotto be far outside the city core areas to start seeing development like the below.

A huge chunk of midtown looks like this.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7795...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7792...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7744...7i16384!8i8192

http://https://www.city-data.com/for...6-post265.html

So if you dont like the comparison talk to him as was the first that kept bringing up a pocket in the city
and I said the below at the beginning of our dialogue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
It is urban.... it's as urban as Arlington VA is. Arlington also has skyscrapers, single family homes, parking lots, garages and strip malls. It also has areas more reminiscent of the peachtree st area.
Quote:
Arlington is also 26sqmi and Midtown is 3.8sqmi. Arlington has pockets of 3.8sqmi that would have higher density then Midtown especially along the Ballston/Rosslyn corridor. The county also includes the Arlington national cemetery, the pentagon and Reagon airport. Lol, good try though.

No need to do the density game as you said earlier density doesnt really matter to overall urbanity in your opinion. Plus, Atlanta is one of the least dense major cities as it is.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:16 AM

Default d that

Quote:
I also specifically noted that Midtown was comparable to pockets of Arlington which are mparable in size to Midtown. I then specified the ballston rosslyn corridor. Its a thing, a business district, people can google it. Alot of people will try to compare area based on size and function of specific areas hence downtown comparisons always including size etc..
WOW. This is ridiculous. You said that later and had nothing to with my initial statement which your sole reasoning for doing so was to try and discredit what I sad by changing the goal post that you first commented on about Midtown( agin you brought up first in discussion) and its density being more overall than Arlington

Old 01-06-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
WOW. This is ridiculous. You said that later and had nothing to with my initial statement which your sole reasoning for doing so was to try and discredit what I sad by changing the goal post that you first commented on about Midtown( agin you brought up first in discussion) and its density being more overall than Arlington
Nope. I specifically said the below at the beginning of our convo! Go back and read through.

Quote:
It is urban.... it's as urban as Arlington VA is. Arlington also has skyscrapers, single family homes, parking lots, garages and strip malls. It also has areas more reminiscent of the peachtree st area.
Quote:
Arlington is also 26sqmi and Midtown is 3.8sqmi. Arlington has pockets of 3.8sqmi that would have higher density then Midtown especially along the Ballston/Rosslyn corridor. The county also includes the Arlington national cemetery, the pentagon and Reagon airport. Lol, good try though.

No need to do the density game as you said earlier density doesnt really matter to overall urbanity in your opinion. Plus, Atlanta is one of the least dense major cities as it is.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Nope. I specifically said the below at the beginning of our convo! Go back and read through.
Sure.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Sure.
it's all there on page 34 which is where we first started discussing Arlington.... what a coincidence.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...-2020s-34.html

the below quotes are right there =) Post #336 & #339.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-06-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
it's all there on page 34 which is where we first started discussing Arlington.... what a coincidence.

the below quotes are right there =) Post #336 & #339.
Of which you said NOTHING bout the B-R UNTIL I posted density numbers as I have said several times.Thanks for proving my point.
Ten pages AFTER you first mentioning Midtown

Old 01-06-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Of which you said NOTHING bout the B-R UNTIL I posted density numbers as I have said several times.Thanks for proving my point.

The first mention of Arlington was post #336
You posted density #'s in post 338
and I said the below in post #339.

so yeah, it was mentioned at the beginning of our convo. =)

Quote:

Old 01-06-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:

The first mention of Arlington was post #336
You posted density #'s in post 338
and I said the below in post #339.

so yeah, it was mentioned at the beginning of our convo. =)
Yes and it had nothing to do with you disaoreeing with me about Arlington being more like Perimeter than Midtown as Midtown doesnt have so many large individual areas that take up as much space
and is more urban imo.
I never said Perimeter was as urban as Arlington or as dense but its layout and function are more similar than Midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City