Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is best overall in the 2020's
Virginia 110 62.50%
Georgia 66 37.50%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 06:31 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberrysaus View Post
Loudoun County is the richest in the nation isn’t it?
Yep. And it looks like Georgia’s poverty rate is 5% higher, median income is 22% lower, and number of adults with bachelor degrees is 7% lower than Virginia’s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 08:48 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,114 times
Virginia hands down!

Cities- VA (DC/NOVA, Richmond, Norfolk, Alexandria, etc.)
Economy- VA (Especially in NOVA/Tysons Corner/McLean, etc.)
QOL- VA
Recreation- VA
Education schools- VA
Universities- VA
Culture Diversity-VA
Politics - TIED (GA has a better governor than VA but VA is better positioned politically due to proximity to DC)
Infrastructure/transportation- VA (Public transit in DC/NOVA region rivals anything in GA, let alone access to VRE and Amtrak NE corridor services)
Airports- VA (IAD, DCA, RIC)

Old 04-09-2020, 10:03 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,902,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpier015 View Post
While embarrassing, it doesn't affect policy in the least. Virginia is definitely a more progressive state.
Virginia is far left of Georgia, otherwise I'd take VA.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:24 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,842 times
Relative to Georgia, Virginia is much more centrally located on East Coast of the United States, and over one-third of Virginia residents live within 40 miles of the nation's capitol. In addition to being roughly equidistant between Florida and Maine, Virginia is also geographically closer to the eastern Midwest.

As the first of the Thirteen British Colonies to be settled and organized, Virginia has the longest history of any modern U.S. state and, accordingly, was the preeminent colony and, later on, state of the American South for hundreds of years. One could go a step further and argue that Virginia, along with Massachusetts, is the cradle of our nation due to its outsized influence on American culture and politics.

Remarkably, Virginia has the fourth-lowest violent crime rate of any state in the nation, even surpassing states that have older, whiter populations such as Connecticut and Massachusetts, for example. In rural areas of Virginia, extreme poverty is not nearly as extensive as it is in rural areas of Georgia, and I believe that suppresses crime rates throughout much of the state.

Because Georgia has a prodigious black population and, as a result, heavily caters to blacks, racism against whites and non-black minorities is more common in Georgia than it is Virginia. I presume the average non-black American from a non-Southern state would find the culture and vibe of Atlanta to be rather disconcerting.

While the Georgia countryside is pretty in many areas, it is not nearly as idyllic as the Virginia countryside. All else aside, Virginia really runs away with Albemarle County, Alexandria, Arlington, Burke's Garden, Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge, Colonial Williamsburg, Leesburg, the Potomac River, Shenandoah National Park and Westmoreland State Park among many other historical and natural wonders.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:25 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,728 times
Virginia, hands down.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:45 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Relative to Georgia, Virginia is much more centrally located on East Coast of the United States, and over one-third of Virginia residents live within 40 miles of the nation's capitol. In addition to being roughly equidistant between Florida and Maine, Virginia is also geographically closer to the eastern Midwest.

As the first of the Thirteen British Colonies to be settled and organized, Virginia has the longest history of any modern U.S. state and, accordingly, was the preeminent colony and, later on, state of the American South for hundreds of years. One could go a step further and argue that Virginia, along with Massachusetts, is the cradle of our nation due to its outsized influence on American culture and politics.

Remarkably, Virginia has the fourth-lowest violent crime rate of any state in the nation, even surpassing states that have older, whiter populations such as Connecticut and Massachusetts, for example. In rural areas of Virginia, extreme poverty is not nearly as extensive as it is in rural areas of Georgia, and I believe that suppresses crime rates throughout much of the state.

Because Georgia has a prodigious black population and, as a result, heavily caters to blacks, racism against whites and non-black minorities is more common in Georgia than it is Virginia. I presume the average non-black American from a non-Southern state would find the culture and vibe of Atlanta to be rather disconcerting.

While the Georgia countryside is pretty in many areas, it is not nearly as idyllic as the Virginia countryside. All else aside, Virginia really runs away with Albemarle County, Alexandria, Arlington, Burke's Garden, Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge, Colonial Williamsburg, Leesburg, the Potomac River, Shenandoah National Park and Westmoreland State Park among many other historical and natural wonders.
Some of the things in this are true but its clearly a very ignorant and biased post.

This just blew my mind how simply outlandish thing to say

Quote:
Yep I guess bands of blacks are just attacking whites and non whites down in Georgia. Thats a very racist thing toi sat in itself.Where is your proof?
Atlanta's black population is no different than DC which at one time was called Chocolate City.
"Heavily caters to blacks". Yeh right because everyone knows the largely white Republican controlled state government loves the black community.
Georgia Black population is around 29%.VA's is almost 20%. Ranked 5th and 9th rank in African American population.Hardly a huge difference where one would make such a ridiculous statement.
Any "non-African American : wouldn't feel any different.

Foreign Born GA-10% vs VA 12%.
Asian Population is GA-4.3% vs VA 6.9%
Hispanic GA-9,8% vs VA 9.6%
If the numbers dont vary that much then why would you make such an biased and absolutely incredulous presumption?

Georgia is the last of the 13 colonies and has a storied history as well although admittedly not as well known as VA.Nonetheless its there in abundance.
Georgia has its share of beautiful towns and areas . Maybe you've heard of Savannah?
Then there are the Golden Isles.Pristine series of barrier islands

Sea Island ,Georgia where the G7 met .It has the top rated resort for several years in North America called The Cloister located there
Nearby Cumberland National Seashore where John Kennedy Jr got married. Another nearby island where Ben Affleck owned a home and lived there with former wife Jennifer Garner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5UND_aV8B8

Jekyll Island where the Rockafellers ,Carnegies and Vanderbuilts had vacation homes and got together to form the Federal Reserve Bank.Its now a beautiful resort island owned by the State of Georgia as a gift.
Along with St.Simons Islands these are some truly unique and pristine tropical coastal areas where in my opinion is not matched by anything in VA.
Thomasville,Georgia whose nickname is the "City of Roses".Historic town less than 75 miles from the Florida border
Tallulah Gorge State Park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFvWI8z_yxY
Amicaloa Falls(The tallest Water Fall East of the Mississippi River),The town of Dahlonega where its been said to be the site of the first Gold Rush in America and even had a US Mint there at one time.
Roswell is a wealthy suburban city just off the Chattahoochie river and is where Bulloch Hall is. Its the birth home of Theodore Roosevelts mother.
Stone Mountain State Park is a marvel as its carving was done years before by the same people who carved Mt.Rushmore.

I would say that VA has better mountain areas whereas Georgia has better coastal areas.As far as natuaral and physical beauty.But neither is slacking or running away with anything.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:43 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Pure ignorance based on not one shred of evidence. Now if you consider the inverse of what you said, we've got 200+ years of history that backs that up so I'm not sure you really want to go there Bert.

Plenty of white folks from non-Southern states have moved to both the city of Atlanta and surrounding suburbs over the course of several decades. Why you think they would find the culture and vibe of Atlanta to be "rather disconcerting" is beyond me since white people love Black culture.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:37 AM

3,150 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Quote:
This non-black American transplant from a non-Southern state couldn't disagree more, and Atlanta hardly has a "culture and vibe" that is one-dimensional. But I'd strongly recommend people who dislike having many accomplished, interesting folks around who happen to be black, and hold such a perspective on personal interactions, to stay out of both Georgia and Virginia. Both states in the 21st century are highly diverse and getting more so all the time.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:38 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,628,273 times
Quote:

This is among the worst statements I've seen anyone make on this website.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:45 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
Lol, so Atlanta "Blacks" can't even exert their racism properly Bert? I'm going to work on having a major interstate go through the heart of Brookhaven not before me and my fellow ebony Atlantans gentrify Paces Ferry and parts of Ponce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City