Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is best overall in the 2020's
Virginia 110 62.50%
Georgia 66 37.50%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 08:13 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,150,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
But stats don’t really back up that it’s a purple state, either. To me a purple state is somewhere like Wisconsin or Pennsylvania where both Democrats AND Republicans regularly win statewide elections — Dems may be thinning the margins in GA, but I don’t think the state can be considered anything but red until they actually win. Maybe 2020 is the year!
I agree with you completely. Georgia might be getting closer in races, but until Dems start winning in state wide races, it's still red to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 08:58 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,902,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
I agree on paper VA wins but some are making it seem the only thing going in GA is Atlanta and Savannah.
What about Augusta?Augusta is bigger than Savannah and is more of economical hot spot with its government jobs,university plus its home of The Masters.
I just got in Atlanta for the holidays and will definately do more exploring
The Columbus, GA area has not been mentioned, but it's tourism industry has rapidly expanded over the last 10 years! It's now a major tourist destination city in the state!
www.visitcolumbusga.com

Old 01-06-2020, 10:09 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Dunwoody (Perimeter) doesn't seem much like Arlington as Perimeter has surface parking lots on a scale and frequency that is much greater than that in Arlington. I think if you're talking about hanging out within the major shopping centers of each, then sure, it's pretty much the same chain stores, but that's with major shopping centers all across the US.

As mentioned earlier, the corridor going from Rosslyn to Ballston within Arlington is maybe a good analogue for Midtown Atlanta and Tysons Corner a better comparison for Dunwoody / Perimeter. It's got a lot of transit and it's very dense and within really quick reach of downtown (downtown DC as opposed to downtown Atlanta). Tysons Corner is further out from downtown DC, passes through the Ballston Rosslyn corridor on the way to downtown DC, and is a rife with shopping centers and surface parking lots. The bigger difference there is that Tysons Corner is trying to wholesale remake itself to be more walkable, is a massive employment center that serves as headquarters for many more corporations than Dunwoody does, and it's not the end of the rapid transit line as it has the much more walkable and urban Reston further out, though not yet it's most walkable part, and pretty soon, the major employment center of Dulles airport.
I dont disagree with any of this but as it pertains to Midtown Atlanta and Arlington OVERALL? no

You are selling the Perimeter area very short though. Ive already said many times its not equal in its density or urbanity but they are similar as to the aesthetics .I dont see how that statement is so controversial.

Thats the thing with Perimeter.Its doing the same thing as we speak as there are huge efforts underway to make it more urban and walkable.
Some one mentioned State Farm project as an example.
Dunwoody/Perimeter F500 companies are UPS,West Rock,Veritiv and a few more I just cant remember but its hardly an area void of corporate headquarters.

Here is one article of many about Atlanta and its surrounding suburbs.
https://saportareport.com/the-suburb...ng-more-urban/

Old 01-06-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
It could/might have something to do with some of the below....
So why is GA growing faster with a larger economy and population despite a CD poll and these facts?

Old 01-06-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Even then look at the difference between to the two main shopping centers.

Perimeter
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9230...7i16384!8i8192

Arlington
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8629...7i13312!8i6656

some smaller shopping areas in Arlington
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8801...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8883...7i13312!8i6656

Arlington also has some strips malls too, but Perimeter doesn't have any walkup stores or shopping areas, they're all typical suburban/strips malls...

For a like for like comparable - since both areas have Traders Joes

Arlington Trader Joes
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8864...7i13312!8i6656

Perimeter Trader Joes
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9260...7i16384!8i8192
And yet it was you who said Arlington reminded you of Midtown .

Old 01-06-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
You've yet to share any of the below whether it be links or intersections or specific areas of the perimeter that look/function/act like the below. You realize that Arlington has one of the highest transit riderships in the country? Also, look! it's pedestrians walking around like it's a daily thing! Do they do that in the perimeter? I'm really curious to know your opinion regarding this.. the below makeup large portions of Arlington, the Perimeter doesnt have a single area like this.

Below are some areas further away from Rosslyn (a district within Arlington)
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8866...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8627...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8801...7i13312!8i6656
Do you even know what you are arguing about?I know I never said anything close to what you keep trying to find as an argument.
You keep ignoring the question why you think Arlington is like Midtown by bringing up an argument that doesnt exist

Old 01-06-2020, 10:16 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
So why is GA growing faster with a larger economy and population despite a CD poll and these facts?
I never denied what you said. Also I suggest you look up per capita gdp #'s. The big cities of the south in general are growing fast

Old 01-06-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
And yet it was you who said Arlington reminded you of Midtown .
Yes and you said Arlington was more like Perimeter so I asked how so and you've yet to show examples that resemble areas I've shared of Arlington... but you cant because it doesnt exist

Old 01-06-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah... I dont know why you would be confused at Virginia winning? Georgia is a deep red state and performs worse against Virginia on .. like everything. Outside of Atlanta, the most common thing associated with Georgia is like college football and honey boo boo.
You have no idea what you are talking about.
GA is not a deep red state when the last governors race was almost won by a progressive black woman by a margin of 1.4%.
All of GAs major cities voed Democratic

Old 01-06-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Do you even know what you are arguing about?I know I never said anything close to what you keep trying to find as an argument.
You keep ignoring the question why you think Arlington is like Midtown by bringing up an argument that doesnt exist
Lol.. yeah I think we 've discussed this enough... people have read and commented on this. Its obvious.... Move on.... people are still voting and one leads the other by a decent lead.

Look at you going thread to thread defending Atlanta's honor against basically everyone else not from Atlanta it's admirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City