Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2020, 09:16 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You're assuming that I actually care about where my country ranks in the Diversity Olympics. I don't.
You certainly seemed to care before you lost the argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 09:19 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
You certainly seemed to care before you lost the argument.
Look at my posting history. I've stated numerous times that I don't care about that stuff. I do care about facts, as I will demonstrate in my next post.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The vast majority of Hispanics in the US don't look Euro at all. Colorism and racism and immigration fears play into why many check the white box. We also stupidly make them check a color box..you a.l have "Latin American"

Not a whole lot of Ricky Martins and Gloria Estefan's out there. Especially not in the East sans Miami. Maybe 1/8 look european.
I do agree that the approx 65% figure of Hispanic Americans who identify as white is way out of proportion to reality, but to simply subtract the Hispanic share of the overall U.S. population to bring the white share to 61% is also BS.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Sell Canada’s strong points..it doesn’t win on diversity when compared to us..it just doesn’t
As I said very recently - I care more about facts than about who wins the diversity gold medal.

But realistically, when it comes to diversity, my take is that it's kind of a wash between the countries. Though the elements that make up each country's diversity are fairly different.

For example, the U.S. doesn't have anything like the nation-within-the-nation quasi-foreign entity that is French Canada. This is a huge geographically concentrated block that is right in the middle of Canada that makes up about a quarter of Canada's population.

A French Canadian named Pierre Tremblay who lives in St-Hyacinthe, Quebec and an Anglo-Canadian named James MacKenzie in Brandon, Manitoba may both be white Canadians of European stock, but they're more different, foreign and alien from each other and have less in common than a typical African-American in Dallas and White American in Indianapolis.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:29 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
As I said very recently - I care more about facts than about who wins the diversity gold medal.

But realistically, when it comes to diversity, my take is that it's kind of a wash between the countries. Though the elements that make up each country's diversity are fairly different.

For example, the U.S. doesn't have anything like the nation-within-the-nation quasi-foreign entity that is French Canada. This is a huge geographically concentrated block that is right in the middle of Canada that makes up about a quarter of Canada's population.

A French Canadian named Pierre Tremblay who lives in St-Hyacinthe, Quebec and an Anglo-Canadian named James MacKenzie in Brandon, Manitoba may both be white Canadians of European stock, but they're more different, foreign and alien from each other and have less in common than a typical African-American in Dallas and White American in Indianapolis.
Ummm Black America(ns)?? and the Black Belt? 47 million Blacks with our own music, dialect,style of dress, customs, familial structure etc.. , 30 million of which are in the Coastal Southeast?

OR Mexicans and the Southwest???

How Much do you think a black guy from florida and a white guy from Washington have in Common? Or a Mexican from New Mexico and a white guy from Vermont?
really?

Ever crossed your mind you dont know as much about American culture as you think? Were talking about a whole group of people that was enslaved for most of the countries history and you think they've really got a ton in common with a white dude from Indiana??

What about Cajuns, and Creoles? Alaskan Natives? Hawaiians?? Or literal Native American Nations.

I cannot believe what i'm reading right not.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-12-2020 at 09:39 AM..

Old 02-12-2020, 09:34 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Your obsession with Chicago intrigues me. Last year was the Polar Vortex which would cut down on crime, but not an excuse. Quit hoping for a banner year, and hope for a reasonable total.
Not to sound like a pessimist but last January in Chicago minus a handful of days was not that cold according to data. 18 of the 31 days of January in Chicago recorded temperatures at or above historical average highs. The polar vortex was only 2 or 2.5 days with another few single digit days.

The number of homicides right now in Chicago compared to years like 2010 to 2014 is still higher than usual. Hopefully it doesn't continue, but people need to also remember that the former police commissioner in Chicago got fired not long ago and there's an interim one (from LA) in charge. The last few times this happened where there was a change in who was in charge in the last decade in Chicago, there were similar spikes and then a few months later things returned to normal.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:37 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
I do agree that the approx 65% figure of Hispanic Americans who identify as white is way out of proportion to reality, but to simply subtract the Hispanic share of the overall U.S. population to bring the white share to 61% is also BS.
61% is probably too high an estimate for 2020 probably more like 59%

Old 02-12-2020, 09:41 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Quote:
For example, the U.S. doesn't have anything like the nation-within-the-nation quasi-foreign entity that is French Canada. .
Yes, but we have people who descended from French immigrants, and they don't hold ballot referendums requesting to form their own country.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:42 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
61% is probably too high an estimate for 2020 probably more like 59%
Wow yeah we will be in the 50's soon... Were exactly 60% in 2019.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:43 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
That's pretty crazy, 442 shot fired leading to only 18 deaths.. Rockford IL seems comparable to Springfield MA in size and homicide numbers... but i doubt it gets thaat many shots fired calls, but we'll never know. MA doesn't keep track of that.

https://www.enterprisenews.com/news/...ts-in-brockton

4th time for shots fired in three days in Brockton..one of which was a guy shooting at multiple vehicles on the highway into Randolph MA. It's like a game or something?
Rockford is one of those cities with a moderate level murder rate, but with aggravated assaults on the high end. A large swath of the city looks decent and there looks to be a few affluent parts, but the very poor parts (west side and Southeast nearest to downtown) is the biggest cause of the inflated numbers. Compared to similar sized cities such as Jackson MS (20,000 more people), Rockford has 1/4 of the murders but more than twice as many reported assaults. It's been crazy since Chicago gangs such as the GDs migrated and introduced crack there during the early '90s. I've read where in 1993, the city had 300 people shot, which is a little more (or a little less, differing sources) than what a big city like Toronto sees.
https://www.hollandsentinel.com/arti...6/1322/fec.org

The city and Winnebago county still has a severe drug problem. Winnebago county saw 130 opioid-related deaths in 2019, with 87 of them occurred in Rockford.
https://rockfordscanner.com/rockford...nebago-county/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City