Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2022, 04:37 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,422,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Chattanooga seems similar to Huntsville to me though totally different type economies. To me Chattanooga's downtown didn't seem significantly more lively than Knoxville, obviously Chattanooga has more tourist attractions so that may make the difference but outside of that downtown Knoxville seemed to be a decent size.
Maybe similar to Huntsville in a "strength of economy" category. But downtown Huntsville was quiet as a churchmouse, both times I went--and extremely under served with bars, restaurants and overall activity. I was expecting a lot more downtown.

I visited Huntsville in 2017 and 2019--before the pandemic. I was pleasantly surprised at the luxury level of their mall there on the west part of town though. And it did seem to have a good quality of life--a great city.

But the downtown, for me, and for the size of Huntsville, left a lot to be desired.

Chattanooga, in my opinion, is on a different downtown tier than Huntsville. I'd put downtown Huntsville alongside Augusta, GA or Macon, GA, or Murfreesboro, TN, Roanoke, VA or even Jackson, MS.

Chattanooga is in the same tier as Little Rock, Knoxville, Lexington, Greenville and Savannah. This is my opinion, based on downtown activity, energy and bars/restaurants, etc.

As for Knoxville, yeah, they can mostly hold their own against Chattanooga, but Chattanooga has more tourist traffic downtown, and I like their downtown a bit better overall, than Knoxville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 05:34 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
lol, histrionics? Hating Philly posters? yeah I think you've misread about everything I've stated. Nonetheless, all I've seen is a bunch of people claiming one city "doesn't talk or think about another city", as if that's disqualifies a comparison to being considered a "poor mans" version of another.

Row home dominated urban centers, the two largest in the country. The largest cities in their respective states, founded in colonial period prior to the US existence on major body of water, both originated with strong ethnic White enclaves (although greater numbers in Philly), similar percent share in Catholic to Protestant numbers still today. Two cities both with a "Little Italy/Italian Market" type area, two cities both with strong Black histories and influential African Americans across many points in history. Both cities with numerous significant events in US history taking place in prior colonial periods, (signing of the Declaration of Independence, creation of the Star Spangled Banner). Two of the cheapest "big cities" to find housing on the East Coast still today. Two cities with light-rail/streetcar systems, coupled by having a subway system. Two cities with solidly promising food scenes and often underrated, two solidly blue collar, and known for being "tough nose" Democratic cities, great medical institutions in both, mid-Atlantic weather in both not identical, but very similar.

I haven't even touched on things like the Black accent, club music, or slang terms, of which there are many similarities, neither the bike/moped culture that permeates the mostly Black youth of both places. Sure the cities have their obvious differences, and nuances, as do all city comparison. I really am not even honed in on the actual "similarities" like you guys are, I'm speaking more on the juxtaposition of what the two cities are, and they obviously stand on their own as something unique. But let's cease with the "city X" is being picked on sentiment here.

Now please tell me how that is "hating on Philly", and rather not providing context to why Baltimore can be aligned to be described as a "poor mans" version of Philadelphia? People seem a bit more worried about "oh let me defend my city, so I won't be associated with city Y", rather than actually take the context of the OP, and stay objective. And I definitely wasn't even signaling any individual out, which includes you.
You have a lot of quotes which I never stated, so I am not going to back up things I never said, lol. At the end of the day, people acting as if Baltimore is a mini-Philly is just kind of lazy. Rowhomes (in Philly it's one word, idk about Baltimore) and working class Black people do not mean the two cities are mirror images. Many cities have Italian (or historically Italian areas). Baltimore's is nothing like ours. Ours is highly Mexican and incredibly vibrant. Baltimore's transit system is not a good match to ours, and they don't have trollies.

The differences go on. I already talked about the other parts of town that are dissimilar to Baltimore, but you ignored all of that, so there is no need to repeat myself.

People wanting two rowhome cities to be endlessly similar does not make it so. Stop trying to make Philadelphia-Baltimore happen. It's not going to happen.

Old 10-25-2022, 05:50 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
You have a lot of quotes which I never stated, so I am not going to back up things I never said, lol. At the end of the day, people acting as if Baltimore is a mini-Philly is just kind of lazy. Rowhomes (in Philly it's one word, idk about Baltimore) and working class Black people do not mean the two cities are mirror images. Many cities have Italian (or historically Italian areas). Baltimore's is nothing like ours. Ours is highly Mexican and incredibly vibrant. Baltimore's transit system is not a good match to ours, and they don't have trollies.

The differences go on. I already talked about the other parts of town that are dissimilar to Baltimore, but you ignored all of that, so there is no need to repeat myself.

People wanting two rowhome cities to be endlessly similar does not make it so. Stop trying to make Philadelphia-Baltimore happen. It's not going to happen.
I said a lot more than just row home, even though they're probably the two closest related cities in the US in that category. But it's fine, take from the posts whatever you like.

Old 10-25-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You know me well enough to know I'm not claiming another city. You also know that us Baltimoreans don't even claim the state that we're in. I claim the south because I'm from the south. I not saying that Baltimore is a poor man's Norfolk, I'm saying that if there was a city most similar to Baltimore, it would be Norfolk. Philly and Wilmington are nothing like Baltimore.
You also are from the mid-Atlantic, and Northeast Corridor, in a city where the people, houses, and culture, is by many estimations, a "poor mans Philadelphia".

Old 10-25-2022, 06:14 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
You know me well enough to know I'm not claiming another city. You also know that us Baltimoreans don't even claim the state that we're in. I claim the south because I'm from the south. I not saying that Baltimore is a poor man's Norfolk, I'm saying that if there was a city most similar to Baltimore, it would be Norfolk. Philly and Wilmington are nothing like Baltimore.
Are they mirror images absolutely not, but are there similarities? Unequivocally. It's not a dig or a boosting of either city. It just is what it is. Cities that a geographically close and were built/established around the same time frame are going to have similarities whether you like it or not..

Old 10-25-2022, 06:58 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
You also are from the mid-Atlantic, and Northeast Corridor, in a city where the people, houses, and culture, is by many estimations, a "poor mans Philadelphia".
Rowhouses don't make us a poor man's anything. Philly is a poor man's NYC. That's their lane, they embrace that. We're not like them.

Old 10-25-2022, 07:52 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post

The poster is trying to play up the connection between Baltimore and Philly because it connects Baltimore (and by extension MD and DC) to the Northeast.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Rowhouses don't make us a poor man's anything. Philly is a poor man's NYC. That's their lane, they embrace that. We're not like them.
Lol. Great Baltimore is an island floating in the Chesapeake, with 0 connections to anywhere because KodeBlue says so, we hear you, now back to the thread OP.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:35 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Lol. Great Baltimore is an island floating in the Chesapeake, with 0 connections to anywhere because KodeBlue says so, we hear you, now back to the thread OP.
We have connections, just not with Philly/Wilmington.

Old 10-26-2022, 02:52 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,279 times
Quote:
Actually, I don't think any city "embraces" being called a poor man's anything. That's why this thread has become pretty toxic. Philadelphia certainly does not feel that way about NYC. Not sure why you went off on a limb there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City