Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta + Metro v. Philadelphia + Metro
Atlanta 55 42.97%
Philadelphia 73 57.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 06:26 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdez View Post
I was speaking of the actual city limits, but regardless we are still a bigger metro. The population of inner city Atlanta is quite small.

Again, we don't have dozens and dozens of miles of packed in rowhomes here. You have a several hundred year head start on us, and that housing style was never in favor here. You also have nothing even remotely like Buckhead within the City of Philadelphia with multiple square miles of estates.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:38 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
Lol. Never claimed to be an aficionado of all things Atlanta, but I do know that in Philadelphia we have nothing to be envious of in regards to the ethnic food scene. ATL doesn’t even have a Chinatown. And we’ve got an array of Korean food places here as well.. our Chinatown is not just limited to Chinese food. We even have a Cambodia Town (Though this is not the neighborhoods official name). Naturally we have more to offer than ATL being that we are so much bigger in size and population.
Quote:
Atlanta has a population of approximately 50,000 individuals of Korean descent. Atlanta's Koreatown is mostly centered around the I-85 corridor extending from Duluth, Georgia to Buford Highway in Northeast Atlanta.[20] KoreanBeacon named Atlanta #5 in its list of Top Korean-American cities, citing the Korean population in Gwinnett County, GA doubling over the past decade, in addition to large stretches of Buford Highway being populated with retail and services with many signs in Korean.[21] Atlanta also has four Korean-language television stations broadcast in the Atlanta area, in addition to a local daily Korean newspaper, the Atlanta ChoSun.
There are some cities with 20% Vietnamese population,
I guess San Jose has more to do than Philly too.Seeing how its naturally bigger

Old 02-19-2020, 07:01 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Thats my point,The comment was made that KOP( 2,793,200 square feet (259,500 m2)
was superior to Buckhead
Two things:
1.Its not, At best its about the same
2.Its the metro comparison NOT BUckhead ,Atlanta has several large malls. All larger than those in Philly with the exception of KOP

Perimeter Mall is maybe 10 minutes from
Lenox(-Buckhead (1,558,678 sq ft (144,805.9 m2)
and Phipps(823,053 sq ft (76,464.1 m2)

Perimeter has FOUR anchors Dillards,Macy's,Nordstrom's,and Von @1,564,046 sq ft (145,304.6 m2)
Also like I said there are a lot more and larger mall in Atlanta than those I mentioned.

Town Center@ Cobb(
1,281,436 sq ft (119,049.3 m2)

Mall at Stonecrest
1,162,000 sq ft (108,000 m2)

Arbor Place
1,176,454 sq ft (109,296 m2)

and as I said already ,the Mall of Georgia (1,824,672 sq ft (169,517.6 m2)
which other than KOP

Cherry Hill
1,306,000 square feet (121,300 m2)[1]
Chritiana Mall
1,267,241 square feet (117,730.5 m2)[1]
Willow Growe Mall
1,203,423 square feet (111,802 m2)[2]
I still don't understand the point of this post? Square footage is now the measurement of what makes good shopping? King of Prussia and Buckhead are both the central shopping points in each region (both very high-end). And yes, Kop is 100% on par Lennox and Phipps, don't try to downplay it. It's also Simons 3rd most profitable shopping center after two in LA area.

Taking those centers out of each metro, I still don't see how shopping metro Atlanta is better...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
You are the biggest homer you claim some Atlanta people are.
The Most Visited Cities In The US
New York, New York - 59.7 million visitors.
Chicago, Illinois - 54.1 million visitors. ...
Atlanta, Georgia - 51 million visitors. ...
Anaheim/Orange County, California - 48.2 million. ...
Orlando, Florida - 48 million visitors. ...
Los Angeles, California - 47.3 million visitors. ...
Las Vegas, Nevada - 42.9 million visitors. ...

Philly does have some suburbs that are definitely dangerous and Atlanta does not.(at least on that level)
Camden is a good example and if Trenton is in the metro of Philly then....
North Philly.PERIOD.
And not sure what this list is trying to prove either? You are very selective with the points you choose to address... Please explain what Atlanta offers that Philadelphia doesn't since you completely glossed over my list of points. And yes, every Philadelphia poster mentioned there are bad areas, but Camden and Trenton (not technically in the metro) do not at all represent the suburbs of Philadelphia, there are literally hundreds of towns that are in no way run down... not to mention the wealth in suburban Philadelphia exceeds the wealth in suburban Atlanta...I don't understand why you can't give credit to other ares when credit is due.

And yes, Atlanta is home to one of the nations busiest airports, and Philadelphia had 43M visitors in 2019 (record for the city), the list you posted isn't the most up to date (for all of the cities). And both Philadelphia and Atlanta are among the most visited cities in the nation, more than DC, Boston, Seattle and San Francisco...

You seem to think I'm claiming Atlanta is some small backwoods town, I'm not, my original posts from way back in the thread address categories that certain Atlanta posters put as a win for Atlanta without any sort of logic, reasoning or substantiation.

I don't know if you have a problem with Philadelphia or a problem that is may actually be a superior metro area? Seeing your responses to my posts and other posts, its seems that you think Atlanta is superior in every category, I wouldn't be surprised if you thought Atlanta was superior to Chicago, Boston, SF, and every other major metro in the US. I admit my bias, but I'm also realistic and logical, there are certainly some categories in the original list that Atlanta wins on, but there are several more than Philadelphia wins on.

Last edited by cpomp; 02-19-2020 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-19-2020, 07:12 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
We have a larger and faster growing Korean community here. This is outdated, but still:
https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/char...an-population/

https://www.hmart.com/ourstores

And of course you have a higher population of Jewish people, you've had a several hundred year head start at this.

It's pretty clear you know next to nothing about Atlanta, you're just assuming way too much.
I'll allow the same in my case, as the only Georgia city I've visited to date is Savannah, which I have very fond memories of from when my Uncle Phil (the first black graduate of the Kansas City Art Institute) taught art classes at Savannah State College (now University) there when I was a young boy.

But I can't help but note that one of the two links above is to research from the Washington-based data-analysis subsidiary of the Philadelphia-based Pew Charitable Trusts. I don't know what the charitable foundation universe is like in Atlanta, but Pew is one of the heavyweights. (The head of the Pew Philadelphia Research Project and I are acquainted; his wife hired me into the University of Pennsylvania's communications office in 1993. Philadelphia, which I have described as "a small town masquerading as a big city," often works this way.)

Quote:
Atlanta is more passionate about food than sports, and it shows.

https://www.atlantamagazine.com/50bestrestaurants/
Well, while we Philadelphians are more passionate about sports than Atlantans are, I don't think we're slouches when it comes to food either. Here's the Philadelphia counterpart to that list, from the mag I write for. We still produce an annual "50 Best Restaurants" print issue in February, but we now update the online "50 Best" list every quarter - that's how much ferment there is in our local restaurant scene.

50 Best Restaurants | Foobooz | Philadelphia Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I actually didn't know Philly had a Koreatown until literally just this second. And apparently a few others emerging as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Koreatown
That Koreatown has been around since sometime around 1990. I can get to it in about 15 minutes on a bus line that passes just steps from my home.

Quote:
(re: who has better food, ATL or PHL)

In certain categories, I say that we do. Why are you being so dismissive of this concept? I seriously doubt you have any first hand experience with this, so why is is so hard to grasp?
Without even visiting, I can say with some confidence that Atlanta definitely has better barbecue than Philadelphia. I'm a Kansas Citian by birth and upbringing, and while there are now more places here where one can get decent Q than there were both when I moved here 36 years ago and even 10 years ago, this city is still something of a barbecue desert. (However: A South Jersey native has told me about a part of Camden County, around the borough of Lawnside and the unincorporated community of Magnolia in a bordering township, that was lousy with BBQ joints in the 1960s. All of these save maybe one have disappeared, though there's now a southeast Missouri expat that has opened a Q joint I've yet to try down the road in Lindenwold. One clue to the origin of this Q belt: the area in question was purchased by Quaker abolitionists in the 1840s with the intent of selling it to free blacks and escaped slaves for farming and residences. Lawnside Borough, created when the township containing it was dissolved by the New Jersey legislature in 1926, was a major station on the Underground Railroad and is the first and oldest black-run municipality north of the Mason-Dixon Line - blacks have run it since its founding. Descendants of one of the Underground Railroad's chroniclers, conductor and physician William Still, live in a house on the edge of the borough.)

(Edited to add: Something else I'd give the nod to Atlanta in without having been there is soul food. Our African-American restaurateurs, like the Bynum brothers, may essay Southern cooking, but something about the Bynums' fare seems to me just a little too fussy for true soul food; I love their commitment to jazz and blues - three of their restaurants double as music venues - but while their food is good, it seems to me just a little lacking in true soul. Except maybe at Relish in West Oak Lane, the one restaurant they own that's located in a mostly black neighborhood.)

But I think that maybe the Asian argument is less strong than Philly partisans allow. I haven't gone down the Atlanta 50 Best list entirely, but I will point out that the current No. 1 on its Philly counterpart is Lebanese. How's Atlanta's Middle Eastern food scene? (There's a longstanding Maronite Christian Lebanese community in South Philly near the Italian Market; more recent arrivals in the area from Mexico and Cambodia have diluted its influence and character, but its Catholic church remains active.)

One thing I think the Atlantans are right about is that Philadelphia has had a 300-year head start in building up history and cultural traditions and that the capital of the modern South has made great strides in a relatively short period of time. (I still attribute some of this to very shrewd PR on the part of the city's political and business leadership; when Sheriff Bull Connor was unleashing firehoses and police dogs on peaceful protesters and churches were getting bombed in Birmingham, which was about the same size as Atlanta in 1960, Atlanta's Establishment was promoting the place as "the city too busy to hate." That's paid off in a huge influx of African-Americans whose parents and grandparents migrated to cities like Philadelphia during the Great Migration of the early 20th century back to Atlanta, which has also become a Mecca for middle-class blacks.)

Last edited by MarketStEl; 02-19-2020 at 08:09 PM..

Old 02-19-2020, 07:39 PM

222 posts, read 196,300 times
Quote:
Again, we don't have dozens and dozens of miles of packed in rowhomes here. You have a several hundred year head start on us, and that housing style was never in favor here. You also have nothing even remotely like Buckhead within the City of Philadelphia with multiple square miles of estates.

I mean yes, we are comparing two very different cities after all. Philadelphia is a very old northeast megalopolis type city. Atlanta is a newer sunbelt city. Atlanta has a lot more suburban sprawl than Philadelphia, so Philadelphia naturally feels a lot bigger with everything being so dense, urban, and tightly packed together. And I'm glad we don't have anything like Buckhead in our city limits, save that stuff for the suburbs.

We do have King of Prussia 30 min. outside of the city where a lot of the upscale shopping is.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:48 PM

222 posts, read 196,300 times
Quote:
So you know nothing of the place, but are certain that you have better Asian food? How could you possibly even begin to know this? You can't.

And no, we don't have a 'Chinatown' in your model. Our Asian population is spread out, and mostly in the suburbs.

I know that Philadelphia has a superior restaurant scene to Atlanta all across the board, not just Asian food. I lived in the south for five years and would occasionally take trips to ATL. I found ATL to be a nice city, though it's restaurant scene was not up to par with any northern city IMO.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:50 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,045 times
I thought Philadelphia’s upscale shopping was called New York City, bigger and better in every way, and only an Acela ride away...

Old 02-19-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I still don't understand the point of this post? Square footage is now the measurement of what makes good shopping? And yes, Kop is 100% on par Lennox and Phipps, don't try to downplay it. It's also Simons 3rd most profitable shopping center after two in LA area.

And not sure what this list is trying to prove either? You are very selective with the points you choose to address... Please explain what Atlanta offers that Philadelphia doesn't since you completely glossed over my list of points. And yes, every Philadelphia poster mentioned there are bad areas, but Camden and Trenton (not technically in the metro) do not at all represent the suburbs of Philadelphia, there are literally hundreds of towns that are in no way run down... not to mention the wealth in suburban Philadelphia exceeds the wealth in suburban Atlanta...I don't understand why you can't give credit to other ares when credit is due.

And yes, Atlanta is home to one of the nations busiest airports, and Philadelphia had 43M visitors in 2019 (record for the city), the list you posted isn't the most up to date (for all of the cities). And both Philadelphia and Atlanta are among the most visited cities in the nation, more than DC, Boston, Seattle and San Francisco...

You seem to think I'm claiming Atlanta is some small backwoods town, I'm not, my original posts from way back in the thread address categories that certain Atlanta posters put as a win for Atlanta without any sort of logic, reasoning or substantiation.

I don't know if you have a problem with Philadelphia or a problem that is may actually be a superior metro area? Seeing your responses to my posts and other posts, its seems that you think Atlanta is superior in every category, I wouldn't be surprised if you thought Atlanta was superior to Chicago, Boston, SF, and every other major metro in the US. I admit my bias, but I'm also realistic and logical, there are certainly some categories in the original list that Atlanta wins on, but there are several more than Philadelphia wins on.
Actually I have defended Philly and Atlanta. My first post was in regards to how Atlanta was superior to Philly.
You and others have characterized some things that clearly are gross mis-characterizations.
I am a fan of both cities and I think Philly gets a bad rap but so does Atlanta.

People act like there arent any paint historic areas in the Atlanta metro,just nothing but cul de sacs,fast food and with a population just black and white.

I like how you demand I tell you what Atlanta has over Philly but yet all you have said is not much more.
Here ya go:
*Atlanta has larger and more malls.Thats the point,Having the same stores but having less of them and the smaller stores
For example:The largest H&M in Philly is 19,000 sguare feet is at Moorestown Mall or the one at the outlet is sightly bigger . Atlanta has H&M at Atlantic Station that 40,0000 square feet.The one in Manhattan is the largest in the world and its 57,000

Quote:
I still don't understand the point of this post? Square footage is now the measurement of what makes good shopping? And yes, Kop is 100% on par Lennox and Phipps, don't try to downplay it. It's also Simons 3rd most profitable shopping center after two in LA area.
Why do you keep ignoring all of Buckhead?
Phipps and Lenox are but two malls next to each other and then there is Buckhead Villgae or (Shops at Buckhead) ha
So one mall being the size of three shopping areas doesnt somehow make it better or worse.They offer mostly the same things.
Even so I would give this to Atlanta because as I pointed out ,Atlanta just has way more major shopping centers in a metro that is 1 million smaller.And tose shopping centers with the exception of KOP are considerably larger.

So you know Philly has 43Million viistors but dont want to give a source?
Funny how I easiy found one more recent that has Atlanta ahead of Philly. Sorry .You were right it was outdated.Atlanta had 53 million .Thats 10 million more than Philly!
1.Orlanado
2NYC
3.Chicago
4.Atlanta
5.Los Angeles
6.Dallas
7..Philly
https://www.bestchoicereviews.org/tr...ist-cities-us/

dont want to paint Philly as dangerous because thats an overstatement but YOU said you have never seen anything to the contrary that shows a difference. Well here you go
https://247wallst.com/special-report...ous-cities/10/

Yes Philly has some idealic and beautiful sububrs but like I said Atlanta doesnt just have cul de sac type suburbs with no character either just Philly doenst have JUST quaint suburbs.
There is not one suburb in Atlanta as with as much crime as Camden, Pensauken,or Chester etc. Its you who are picking and choosing.
You are so biased you dont even see it

Old 02-19-2020, 08:12 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
I mean yes, we are comparing two very different cities after all. Philadelphia is a very old northeast megalopolis type city. Atlanta is a newer sunbelt city. Atlanta has a lot more suburban sprawl than Philadelphia, so Philadelphia naturally feels a lot bigger with everything being so dense, urban, and tightly packed together. And I'm glad we don't have anything like Buckhead in our city limits, save that stuff for the suburbs.

We do have King of Prussia 30 min. outside of the city where a lot of the upscale shopping is.
Philly does not feel bigger than Atlanta for the simple fact everything is so "dense, urban and tightly packed together." Also, it's nice to have a High end mall, across the street from an even higher-end mall which is a few blocks away from another high-end enclave within the city limits, and not have to travel to the suburbs. Atlanta is just an overall nicer metropolitan area IMO.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'll allow the same in my case, as the only Georgia city I've visited to date is Savannah, which I have very fond memories of from when my Uncle Phil (the first black graduate of the Kansas City Art Institute) taught art classes at Savannah State College (now University) there when I was a young boy.

But I can't help but note that one of the two links above is to research from the Washington-based data-analysis subsidiary of the Philadelphia-based Pew Charitable Trusts. I don't know what the charitable foundation universe is like in Atlanta, but Pew is one of the heavyweights. (The head of the Pew Philadelphia Research Project and I are acquainted; his wife hired me into the University of Pennsylvania's communications office in 1993. Philadelphia, which I have described as "a small town masquerading as a big city," often works this way.)

Well, while we Philadelphians are more passionate about sports than Atlantans are, I don't think we're slouches when it comes to food either. Here's the Philadelphia counterpart to that list, from the mag I write for. We still produce an annual "50 Best Restaurants" print issue in February, but we now update the online "50 Best" list every quarter - that's how much ferment there is in our local restaurant scene.

50 Best Restaurants | Foobooz | Philadelphia Magazine

That Koreatown has been around since sometime around 1990.

Without even visiting, I can say with some confidence that Atlanta definitely has better barbecue than Philadelphia. I'm a Kansas Citian by birth and upbringing, and while there are now more places here where one can get decent Q than there were both when I moved here 36 years ago and even 10 years ago, this city is still something of a barbecue desert. (However: A South Jersey native has told me about a part of Camden County, around the borough of Lawnside and the unincorporated community of Magnolia in a bordering township, that was lousy with BBQ joints in the 1960s. All of these save maybe one have disappeared, though there's now a southeast Missouri expat that has opened a Q joint I've yet to try down the road in Lindenwold. One clue to the origin of this Q belt: the area in question was purchased by Quaker abolitionists in the 1840s with the intent of selling it to free blacks and escaped slaves for farming and residences. Lawnside Borough, created when the township containing it was dissolved by the New Jersey legislature in 1926, was a major station on the Underground Railroad and is the first and oldest black-run municipality north of the Mason-Dixon Line - blacks have run it since its founding. Descendants of one of the Underground Railroad's chroniclers, conductor and physician William Still, live in a house on the edge of the borough.)

(Edited to add: Something else I'd give the nod to Atlanta in without having been there is soul food. Our African-American restaurateurs, like the Bynum brothers, may essay Southern cooking, but something about the Bynums' fare seems to me just a little too fussy for true soul food; I love their commitment to jazz and blues - three of their restaurants double as music venues - but while their food is good, it seems to me just a little lacking in true soul. Except maybe at Relish in West Oak Lane, the one restaurant they own that's located in a mostly black neighborhood.)

But I think that maybe the Asian argument is less strong than Philly partisans allow. I haven't gone down the Atlanta 50 Best list entirely, but I will point out that the current No. 1 on its Philly counterpart is Lebanese. How's Atlanta's Middle Eastern food scene? (There's a longstanding Maronite Christian Lebanese community in South Philly near the Italian Market; more recent arrivals in the area from Mexico and Cambodia have diluted its influence and character, but its Catholic church remains active.)

One thing I think the Atlantans are right about is that Philadelphia has had a 300-year head start in building up history and cultural traditions and that the capital of the modern South has made great strides in a relatively short period of time. (I still attribute some of this to very shrewd PR on the part of the city's political and business leadership; when Sheriff Bull Connor was unleashing firehoses and police dogs on peaceful protesters and churches were getting bombed in Birmingham, which was about the same size as Atlanta in 1960,
Quote:
Atlanta's Establishment was promoting the place as "the city too busy to hate." That's paid off in a huge influx of African-Americans whose parents and grandparents migrated to cities like Philadelphia during the Great Migration of the early 20th century back to Atlanta, which has also become a Mecca for middle-class black
s.)
Thats my family.This is why I love both cities equally but I would choose to live in Atlanta. Ive lived in both including their suburbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City