Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta + Metro v. Philadelphia + Metro
Atlanta 55 42.97%
Philadelphia 73 57.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 09:42 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
That makes literally no sense considering the Atlanta metro has a higher proverty rate than Philadelphia's. It only makes sense to you because you read the numbers wrong.

"loose a lack of credibility" "crime ridden metropolis". keep it going, it's really making you look like a scholar lol.. I asked you to provide something that makes Atlanta cool and that's the response I get.
So you think Atlanta metro with its 15.9% poverty rate vs Phillys 13% metro
equates to Philly as a city being the poorest large city in the US with over 40% of its population living in poverty?
What sense does that make?

The fact that Atlanta is growing much faster than Philly with 10 million more visitirs a year than Philly is really all that needs to be said. If Philly had more to offer it would ranked higher on several growth factors.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:45 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree. Philadelphia is crime ridden with more murders and run down areas. Philadelphia cheats to get its metro numbers while Atlanta stands on its own.

Okay, just because this seems to be the only talking point, the chances of being a victim of crime in the city of Atlanta is HIGHER than the city of Philadelphia. Philadelphia has a slightly higher violent crime rate. However there are way way less violent crimes in the world and in most cases they aren't random. Atlanta has a ridiculous high property crime rate.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 02-20-2020 at 03:49 AM..

Old 02-19-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
So you think Atlanta metro with its 15.9% poverty rate vs Phillys 13% metro
equates to Philly as a city being the poorest large city in the US with over 40% of its population living in poverty?
What sense does that make?

You literally are making that number. You already shared that article from the Philadelphia Inqurier that clearly states the City of Philadelphia has a poverty rate of 25%.

New federal report surprises: Philadelphia poverty down, income up

Quote:
The fact that Atlanta is growing much faster than Philly with 10 million more visitirs a year than Philly is really all that needs to be said. If Philly had more to offer it would ranked higher on several growth factors.
Someone posted on here that a majority of Atlanta's visitors were for series of trade shows that occur every year. Atlanta is in a good spot for them. They aren't going to see the tourist sites in Atlanta.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:48 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Yeah, you didn't read that right. The city's poverty level is 25% and the metro's which is 13%. Atlanta city is like 22% and Metro is 15%. Let's see the last ten posts from Atlanta boosters have just been throwing shade at Philly without telling us one thing about why Atlanta is actually better.
The same can be said about Philly posters as well. It's a subjective matter, so neither answer is wrong. There's really no wrong answer.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:52 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree. Philadelphia is crime ridden with more murders and run down areas. Philadelphia cheats to get its metro numbers while Atlanta stands on its own.
Atlanta counts counties nearly in Alabama for its metro population, and Philly can't even include Mercer County, NJ right across the Delaware River, yet Philly is the one that "cheats"?

This has really gone off the rails.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
You literally are making that number. You already shared that article from the Philadelphia Inqurier that clearly states the City of Philadelphia has a poverty rate of 25%.

Someone posted on here that a majority of Atlanta's visitors were for series of trade shows that occur every year. Atlanta is in a good spot for them. They aren't going to see the tourist sites in Atlanta.
You have shown you dont know what you are talking about. Atlanta has many bug tourist spots.Thats why they have the big conventions like Las Vegas.
The Georgia Aquarim saw 2.5 million people.World of Coca Cola saw 2 million
I read it wrong but what I did NOT read wrong is the Philly is NUMBER ONE of large American cities for poverty
Atlanta isnt among the top cities

Old 02-19-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:

Yes income is up in every major city but the year before this Philly was the ONLY city to have an increase.Even still the amont of increase is small

The median income in Philly is $46,000
For Atlanta is $56,000
Home values are more in Atlanta by almost $100,000
Atlanta 90% HS Diploma vs Philly 83%
Atlanta has a 49% vs 28% of Philly people with Bachelors or higher

The per capita income in Atlanta is more tha 20 thousand dollars than Philly.
Now how is Philly more desireable based just on those numbers?
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rgia/PST045219

Old 02-19-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
You have shown you dont know what you are talking about. Atlanta has many bug tourist spots.Thats why they have the big conventions like Las Vegas.
The Georgia Aquarim saw 2.5 million people.World of Coca Cola saw 2 million
I read it wrong but what I did NOT read wrong is the Philly is NUMBER ONE of large American cities for poverty
Atlanta isnt among the top cities
I know you didn't read it because you would have realized Atlanta doesn't meet Pews definition of a large American city lol..

It is shameful that 9/10 who live in poverty in the Delaware Valley live in the 130sq miles of Philadelphia. When you add Camden and Chester, you begin to realize that basically all the poor people live in geographically small but dense areas segregated off from the rest of the population. It's one of the reasons why people from Philadelphia find the idea of characterizing the suburbs as a whole based off of those places pretty offending.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Now how is Philly more desireable based just on those numbers?

well for one, walkability. Most people, at least who I know, like to walk around instead of driving.

Atlanta's walkscore is 49. Philadelphia's is 79.

Another would be biking. People like to bike around.

Atlanta's bikescore is 45. Philadelphia's 67.

Some people also like having the option to ride the train or use the bus.

Atlanta's transit score 47. Philadelphia's 67.

Some people like (at least I do) Architecture and appreciate cool designs. I think most people would agree Philadelphia is in a different league than Atlanta in that regard.

Food is subjective and both show up in plenty of top restaurant rankings. However, I love pizza and sandwiches and appreciate Philadelphia's quality and quantity of both. I do crave some more casual bbq sometimes like you find in the South.

I could go on.. sports, museums, the ability to go to the beach, bar scene, etc.

Also affordability! I live in a sweet neighborhood and I am able to save a lot of money still.

If I was so concerned about my town having low poverty or low education attainment, I would move to like Gladwyne and I could brag about how poor and uneducated people in Atlanta are (Not that where I specifically live is poor or uneducated, it is the opposite, but that was the point that poster was trying to make).

Old 02-19-2020, 11:03 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
well for one, walkability. Most people, at least who I know, like to walk around instead of driving.

Atlanta's walkscore is 49. Philadelphia's is 79.

Another would be biking. People like to bike around.

Atlanta's bikescore is 45. Philadelphia's 67.

Some people also like having the option to ride the train or use the bus.

Atlanta's transit score 47. Philadelphia's 67.

Some people like (at least I do) Architecture and appreciate cool designs. I think most people would agree Philadelphia is in a different league than Atlanta in that regard.

Food is subjective and both show up in plenty of top restaurant rankings. However, I love pizza and sandwiches and appreciate Philadelphia's quality and quantity of both. I do crave some more casual bbq sometimes like you find in the South.

I could go on.. sports, museums, the ability to go to the beach, bar scene, etc.

Also affordability! I live in a sweet neighborhood and I am able to save a lot of money still.

If I was so concerned about my town having low poverty or low education attainment, I would move to like Gladwyne and I could brag about how poor and uneducated people in Atlanta are (Not that where I specifically live is poor or uneducated, it is the opposite, but that was the point that poster was trying to make).
As far as architecture, Philly and Atlanta are my favorite daytime and nighttime skylines respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City