Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta + Metro v. Philadelphia + Metro
Atlanta 55 42.97%
Philadelphia 73 57.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 09:18 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times

Advertisements

Yeah, you didn't read that right. The city's poverty level is 25% and the metro's which is 13%. Atlanta city is like 22% and Metro is 15%. Let's see the last ten posts from Atlanta boosters have just been throwing shade at Philly without telling us one thing about why Atlanta is actually better.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:22 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdez View Post
Big shopping malls are more of a suburb thing up here in the northeast. You don't see as many of them in the inner cities. I personally think building a giant suburban style mall with massive parking lots in the middle of the city limits would be a huge waste of space and would hinder urban development.
If you are referring to Buckhead,it was built around the same time the area was annexed in the 1950s, The area blew up around it.Its a more walkable area than KOP by far and is very urban.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Yeah, you didn't read that right. The city's poverty level is 25% and the metro's which is 13%. Atlanta city is like 22% and Metro is 15%. Let's see the last ten posts from Atlanta boosters have just been throwing shade at Philly without telling us one thing about why Atlanta is actually better.
Ok from the stats I found,anyway you slice it Philly is a lot poorer. Thats one thing Atlanta is better as many have said among other things but yall just keep dismissing it because you dont want to hear it

There is shade and there is reality. Atlanta isnt just some characterless suburb of a city like Philly isnt some old washed up crime ridden metropolis but if people on both sides want to continue with opinios rather tha usung hard data or even accurate data then what are we arguing for? An opinion is just that but if it has nothing to support it then you loose a lack of credibility

Old 02-19-2020, 09:29 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I personally don't care for old, historic little towns, but to each is own. I personally prefer Atlanta's more modern, cleaner, safer suburbs.
Really? Then why are you living in, and always defending, old, historic, and very small Baltimore? And given that you live in Baltimore, you know full well that Philadelphia’s suburbs are very clean and very safe (excluding cities in its realm such as Camden, Chester, and Coatesville).

Old 02-19-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Actually, we did that here, only with garages instead of parking lots:

Fashion District Philadelphia

Known as The Gallery (at Market East) when it opened in 1979*, this mall stretches along three blocks of the city's main east-west axis. It was hailed as a savior of urban shopping when it opened, but its reputation among many Philadelphians fell over the years afterward.

The mall was actually still one of the top performers for its owner, PREIT (Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust, one of the country's larger mall owners); even in its diminished state in the 2000s, it had sales per square foot that ranked among the best in the region and country. It got its reboot mainly to get rid of its reputation as (in former Penn, now Yale, sociologist Elijah Anderson's words) "the iconic ghetto."

What's not clear to me is whether Buckhead is really an "edge city" on the level of King of Prussia.
Buckhead is not an edge city. Its the City of Atlanta.
Perimeter(Dunwoody) or Cumberland/Marietta just 10 min North are edge Cities

Old 02-19-2020, 09:30 PM

945 posts, read 563,802 times
Atlanta.

Don't get me wrong, Philadelphia is cool and full of culture. But nobody goes there to make it big. Atlanta is getting bigger, while Philly is content to be what it is.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:33 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Atlanta is just an overall nicer metropolitan area IMO.
To each their own. If this thread isn't evidence of folks having dramatically different tastes and characteristics for "nice," I don't know what is.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:33 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Ok from the stats I found,anyway you slice it Philly is a lot poorer. Thats one thing Atlanta is better as many have said among other things but yall just keep dismissing it because you dont want to hear it

That makes literally no sense considering the Atlanta metro has a higher proverty rate than Philadelphia's. It only makes sense to you because you read the numbers wrong.

Quote:

There is shade and there is reality. Atlanta isnt just some characterless suburb of a city like Philly isnt some old washed up crime ridden metropolis but if people on both sides want to continue with opinios rather tha usung hard data or even accurate data then what are we arguing for? An opinion is just that but if it has nothing to support it then you loose a lack of credibility
"loose a lack of credibility" "crime ridden metropolis". keep it going, it's really making you look like a scholar lol.. I asked you to provide something that makes Atlanta cool and that's the response I get.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:36 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
Atlanta.

Don't get me wrong, Philadelphia is cool and full of culture. But nobody goes there to make it big. Atlanta is getting bigger, while Philly is content to be what it is.
I agree. Philadelphia is crime ridden with more murders and run down areas. Philadelphia cheats to get its metro numbers while Atlanta stands on its own.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:40 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
Atlanta.

Don't get me wrong, Philadelphia is cool and full of culture. But nobody goes there to make it big. Atlanta is getting bigger, While Philly is content to be what it is.
Arguably the least accurate statement of this thread. Philadelphia continues to go through an impressive renaissance, which is evident to anyone familiar with the city.

I'm not sure that folks go to Atlanta any more often to "make it big" relative to Philly-- whatever that means these days--but it's a moot point. Both cities are full of upwardly mobile people with fulfilling careers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City