Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city/metro feels bigger?
Miami 189 63.21%
Atlanta 62 20.74%
About the same 48 16.05%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 01:10 AM

133 posts, read 95,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post

I understand the Everglades prevents much of the metro from expanding east, but my good friend has horse property in Wellington. He’s maybe 15 miles off the coast of Palm Beach and it’s very rural around him, and desolate just past him. You see all the tall buildings along the coast, but other than that it really didn’t feel large to me?

This is one more comment I wanted to address.

When you say it's rural where your friend lives in Wellington what exactly do you mean? It's completely built out everywhere around there. Just like at least 97 percent of South Florida is. Just look on Google Maps and zoom in if you have to. There a huge preserve to the southwest surrounding Wellington, and then you have pretty much the most country place in South Florida above it Loxahatchee/The Acreage.

They purposely made it into a countrylike place since South Florida was kind of missing that. Completely built out also. But just look at the insane grid they gave the place. It's the only place down there with a bunch of dirt roads. People there don't want it paved. That's South Florida's definition of rural. And all those preserves will never be built on either.

With Google Maps it's so easy to see how crazy South Florida is now and I'm not sure how people can just claim certain things like we don't have it ready to go.

Then you have the completely built out wealthy horse farm area south where Bill Gates has already spent $59 million on property. Tekashi 6IX9INE lives there full-time just east of those farms. There's nowhere left to build anywhere till you look 30 miles north.

And then you have a insane strip of development that progressively gets more and more urban going east and south until it culminates at the 3rd largest and most modern skyline and easily the best nightlife in the U.S over 60 miles south-southeast on a crazy super grid all while being by far the largest tropical urban beach environment in the entire first world. It's insanely unique. Everything about the place.

"Wellington, the winter equestrian capital of the world, is the seasonal playground for the families of a number of billionaires – Michael Bloomberg, the late Steve Jobs, the Campbell’s Soup family, and celebrities whose children compete in horse riding competitions."

Gates has spent $59M on roughly 30-acre assemblage in Wellington
https://therealdeal.com/miami/2019/0...on-horse-farm/

Last edited by Harbits; 03-08-2022 at 02:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 02:17 AM

17,150 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbits View Post
So you honestly think that's what Miami (and all of South Florida while we're on the subject) looks like in the most urban parts of the countless dense areas down there? You can't be serious can you? I've seen some pretty funny comments from you while you've been on your lifetime South Florida hating journey, but this might make your top 20 funniest of all time list. Just ridiculous nonsense.
No hate whatsoever, otherwise I wouldn’t be having a weekend retreat down there now, would I?
I just don’t find it to have a big city feel outside of the core, and yes, have found the vast majority of its intersections to look just like what I posted.

(Wait!!! I know who you are!!! LOL! Welcome back! Until you get banned again. I remember: no one is allowed to say anything that you might perceive as negative towards South Florida. Here we go again…)

Old 03-08-2022, 04:09 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grin123 View Post
Houston/Dallas being more dense than Chicago, Philly, and Boston makes that data laughable.
Why is it laughable? You do realize there is more to a metro area than the core cities right? Houston and DFW are on grid layouts with consistent densities into the suburbs. Think of it as the LA model. This is why they are denser when you go further out than Chicago. Philly, or Boston whose suburbs are more sprrad out (especially the latter two).

Old 03-08-2022, 04:18 AM

1,393 posts, read 860,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbits View Post
Yea.. about that..

You see, using metro areas when looking at density is pretty much meaningless, because they factor in the whole entire counties when they do the math, even if they are mostly empty. Just look at the list you posted. Atlanta metro above Seattle metro? Charlotte above San Jose? I mean come on it has Key West at 20 people/sq mi. You didn't even look through it before you posted it? Look through the list and you will see it's just meaningless and almost random. (because of the widely varying county sizes in the U.S.)

The best and really only way to get the true density of an Urban Area is by using you guessed it, the Urban Area density.

Urban Areas by population density - per square mile - 2021

Los Angeles, CA --------------------- 15,477,000----- 6,312 sq mi

San Francisco-San Jose, CA --------- 6,481,000----- 5,844

Miami, FL ------------------------------ 6,212,000----- 4,857

New York, NY-NJ-CT ------------------ 20,902,000---- 4,477

Washington-Baltimore, DC-VA-MD --- 7,583,000----- 3,570

Houston, TX ---------------------------- 6,529,000---- 3,429

Dallas-Fort Worth, TX ------------------ 6,960,000--- 3,415

Chicago, IL-IN-WI ---------------------- 9,013,000---- 3,332

Philadelphia, PA-NJ-DE-MD ------------ 5,697,000---- 2,718

Boston-Providence, MA-RI-NH-CT-ME-- 7,340,000---- 1,993

Atlanta, GA ------------------------------ 5,434,000---- 1,902

Tampa-St. Petersburg, FL --- 2,819,000 --------- 2,808

Orlando, FL ------------------ 2,377,000 ---------- 2,857

http://www.demographia.com/db-worldua.pdf

How are these being defined as urban areas? These look to be csa populations and densities. Providence is not part of bostons “urban area.” You discredit metro area populations and then proceed to post csa population densities.

Old 03-08-2022, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
No hate whatsoever, otherwise I wouldn’t be having a weekend retreat down there now, would I?
I just don’t find it to have a big city feel outside of the core, and yes, have found the vast majority of its intersections to look just like what I posted.

(Wait!!! I know who you are!!! LOL! Welcome back! Until you get banned again. I remember: no one is allowed to say anything that you might perceive as negative towards South Florida. Here we go again…)

What are you talking about? Anyways I think you would need at least like 20 different street views to get a true picture of South Florida. There's simply too many different nodes and environments everywhere. Some cities have more or less but all cities have at least 5 I would think? To say pick one street view is crazy. Even just compare South Florida's 3 counties they're all pretty different compared to most metros. Face it a great deal of the metro is beautiful even gorgeous.

South Florida has a lot of different things going for it that make it so dense. It's completely flat. The developers knock down whatever they need to down there and built huge elaborately planned environments. The grid is probably the best overall in the U.S. Great roads and sidewalks etc. Super modern. Good zoning. Different size/density and unique dense nodes everywhere. People congregate in the densest areas toward the 120 miles of beaches.

Something that's not talked about a lot on here is how much having a coastline contributes to how dense going east is. It's different for a metro like Atlanta because there really isn't a reason to go toward the middle of town unless you prefer higher density and all the good that comes with it.

The Miami metro has something different where it's just natural to want to move toward the water there. Like it's built in when you're from Florida or the many people that actually move there cause the love water hey why not right?

Then you have people moving there from super dense NYC etc so anything is a step down in density or they even prefer it. South America too. Europe. People from everywhere that want to live that high flying Miami lifestyle. The combo of the people who love the city or just love the water is at a boiling point since there really is nowhere left to build anywhere and it's a perfect storm of development there right now.

It's cool because you can also pick where you want to live based on how dense and urban your local beach area is. There's so many different choices in South Florida. More than anywhere in the first world by far.

Just look at these its insane.

"Miami is now enjoying its greatest high-rise construction boom in history, according to our new list of the tallest buildings under construction in the city."

"The construction boom doesn’t stop there: like last year, there are dozens of construction projects in places like Wynwood, Midtown and Edgewater that are simply not tall enough to make the list. Those relatively smaller projects are however still bringing thousands of apartments to Miami’s urban core."

The 22 Tallest Towers Under Construction In Miami In 2022
https://www.thenextmiami.com/these-a...ction-in-2022/

Last edited by Harbits; 03-08-2022 at 04:46 AM..

Old 03-08-2022, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
How are these being defined as urban areas? These look to be csa populations and densities. Providence is not part of bostons “urban area.” You discredit metro area populations and then proceed to post csa population densities.

Just look through the report and I'm sure you will get your answer it's huge. The 17th Annual Edition it says. The using metros for looking at population density isn't a new problem here. It's widely known here now. The list that was posted looked like and was trash and I explained why. Using the Urban Area densities is much more popular. And really the only way we have. I even posted numbers and densities from the 2010 U.S. census and the ranks of the Urban Areas even look almost the same. Boston's suburbs get super low density as you go outwards. The number is definitely believable. Did you see I posted the weighted densities?

Check out their website too it's pretty bonkers.

http://www.demographia.com/

Last edited by Harbits; 03-08-2022 at 05:09 AM..

Old 03-08-2022, 08:40 AM

12,827 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Looks like the sunbelt cities have more uniform density, ie sprawl, while a place like Boston is super focused in a small area.

Old 03-08-2022, 10:43 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Agreed. Once you leave the urban blocks, Atlanta's big city feeling drops of pretty quickly. It'll appear randomly at some large intersections or you'll see some townhome/midrise apartment infill in places, but nothing like the consistency you see in Miami.

But that is just one road. Overall Miami/South FL feels like the bigger city. The Atlanta area feels more like a bigger region as in it will never end. IIRC Atlanta is the least dense metro in the world over 5 million people and it shows. You can be ITP near Midtown and it'll look the same as being out near Braselton, Villa Rice, or Newnan. It's a different kind of feel you don't really get anywhere else in the US.

Old 03-08-2022, 02:23 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Midtown was more of an exaggeration, but definitely ITP like Scottdale and still areas close to Midtown. Like this is just two miles from DT Decatur and looks similar to areas 40 miles away:

Scottdale (2 miles from DT Decatur; 7-9 miles from Midtown): https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7943...7i16384!8i8192

Winder (45+ miles from Midtown): https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9838...7i13312!8i6656

Walnut Grove (40+ miles from Midtown): https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7430...7i16384!8i8192

Near Emory (3 miles from Midtown): https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8074...7i16384!8i8192

I'm sure you can find other examples in different cities that are similar but I think for Atlanta it stands out more simply because its the least dense metro over 5M people by a good margin.

Old 03-13-2022, 05:30 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,320,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grin123 View Post
Atlanta is growing but its nothing compared to Miami's growth. Miami has like 2 supertalls under construction with myriads of other skyscrapers commencing.. Whats the tallest building under construction currently in Atlanta? Like 400-500 feet? Atlanta last tallest building was in 2008 at 665 feet. Atlanta construction has been alot of 5 over 1 apartments and 200-400 foot towers. Miami is just on a whole different level, won't be surprised if they pass Chicago for the second most amount of skyscrapers in the country.
Chicago has as many +150m buildings as Miami & Toronto... combined. They're in different universes and will be for the forseable future.

That being said, Greater Miami arguably "feels" bigger than Atlanta becuase it sits on massive N-S orientated intesnly built up grid system very similar to LA. Second it it lacks siginifcant tree cover which inhibits density and visually hides development so you see way more of it from the ground (which isn't inherently a good thing).

Atalnta is more akin to DC/Baltimore, Philly or Boston area in setup where theres extremely dense central core citie(s) surrounding by sprawling wooded suburbia with TOD developments that poke out over the trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City