Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city/metro feels bigger?
Miami 189 63.21%
Atlanta 62 20.74%
About the same 48 16.05%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 04:59 AM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grin123 View Post
Brickell is more than TWICE as dense as Midtown. Same with LA. There are several neighborhoods in the Miami area (like Sweetwater) with more than twice the density of Midtown. Atlanta and Miami are not comparable. Atlanta needs to stick with being compared to Houston, Dallas, and Charlotte.

Midtown (for being the densest hood in ATL) has little foot traffic. Brickell is absolutely popping at night meanwhile even on the weekends Midtown is a ghost town.
Yes, I am aware of Brickell's "density." Highrises will do that to a city (See Toronto.)
And Miami is a party and tourist destination. It is bound to have more foot traffic than Atlanta. Downtown Orlando also has much more foot traffic than Midtown Atlanta -- doesn't make it it feel bigger, nor more pedestrian-friendly.
I'm more talking about the narrower streets, human-scaled development, and the general lack of giant intersections like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7661...7i16384!8i8192
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 05:05 AM

94 posts, read 61,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Yes, I am aware of Brickell's "density." Highrises will do that to a city (See Toronto.)
And Miami is a party and tourist destination. It is bound to have more foot traffic than Atlanta. Downtown Orlando also has much more foot traffic than Midtown Atlanta -- doesn't make it it feel bigger, nor more pedestrian-friendly.
I'm more talking about the narrower streets, human-scaled development, and the general lack of giant intersections like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7661...7i16384!8i8192

Which Miami does much better than Atlanta.

Old 03-14-2022, 05:30 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
^^Wow Atlanta really underperforms in density. sad. It's equal to detroit LOL.

And honestly even if it was from 12 years ago there wouldnt be much of a difference. Actually the way Miami has absolutely taken off this past decade, it would look even worse for Atlanta.
To be honest, Houston and Dallas are underperforming for metros their size in that aspect. They both have added about 1.5 million people since then however.

Old 03-14-2022, 05:43 AM

94 posts, read 61,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
To be honest, Houston and Dallas are underperforming for metros their size in that aspect. They both have added about 1.5 million people since then however.

Agree. Meanwhile smaller metros like Minneapolis and Seattle vastly overperform adjacent to their size.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Agree. Meanwhile smaller metros like Minneapolis and Seattle vastly overperform adjacent to their size.
Yep. Those visualizations were posted in an older thread a few years back on C-D, and those were the only cities available to show. I'd love to see something similar with more metro areas added, and with updated population densities.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:22 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Yes. The comparison is definitely apples to oranges. While Atlanta, like many metro/urban areas, becomes less dense and fades on its edges, Miami goes from heavily developed to practically no development once one crosses a line. It's as stark as the map suggests it is.
When approaching Atlanta, it feels the same as approaching Charlotte, Raleigh, or other wooded metros in the Southeast. It's not until you get inside the perimeter does it start to show signs of its population. This contributes to the way it "feels" as the topic title suggests.
Don’t you mean a… peaches to oranges comparison?

Old 03-14-2022, 07:37 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Yeah your graphics didn't do the sunbelt cities any favors, although did your map include Deep Ellum in Dallas and the Galleria in Houston?

Old 03-14-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah your graphics didn't do the sunbelt cities any favors, although did your map include Deep Ellum in Dallas and the Galleria in Houston?
The maps are created from entire CSA boundaries. It's from an old thread (about 5 years) created by "Trafalgar Law".

Old 03-14-2022, 01:51 PM

860 posts, read 1,356,991 times
I just clicked some random area in Miami on google maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7652...7i16384!8i8192

This is just a random street, not a defined district.
Stores are to the sidewalk, there's street parking, and a healthy mix of residential and commercial. ATLANTA WISHES.

I'm not saying they can't get there, but think of this: ATL and Detroit are the same size geographically, Detroit peaked at 2 Million and has lost a majority of it's population, and is still more populated than ATL.

Atlanta is worth observing, as to see how the infill will augment their urbanity. As of now, it's Midtown, Downtown and a handful of streetcar suburbs, that make up ATL's urban dynamic. They're doing a fine job stitching it all together.

Old 03-14-2022, 02:40 PM

17,150 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
I just clicked some random area in Miami on google maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/@25.7652...7i16384!8i8192

This is just a random street, not a defined district.
Stores are to the sidewalk, there's street parking, and a healthy mix of residential and commercial. ATLANTA WISHES.

I'm not saying they can't get there, but think of this: ATL and Detroit are the same size geographically, Detroit peaked at 2 Million and has lost a majority of it's population, and is still more populated than ATL.

Atlanta is worth observing, as to see how the infill will augment their urbanity. As of now, it's Midtown, Downtown and a handful of streetcar suburbs, that make up ATL's urban dynamic. They're doing a fine job stitching it all together.
Not a “defined district?”
That’s Little Havana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City