Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Montréal vs Philadelphia
Montréal 55 53.40%
Philadelphia 48 46.60%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 11:25 AM

313 posts, read 218,033 times

Advertisements

The two are so similar in most categories...
Without a doubt, I am giving suburbs to Philly (Montreal suburbs are pretty bland for the most part, although I do like Brossard and Candiac.)
Urbanity I give the edge to Montreal, if only because it’s public transit system sets it apart. As far as urban neighborhoods go, it’s too close to call otherwise IMO. Both are cities based around walkability, street walls, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 11:33 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Doesn't every city have limited appeal? Or just Philadelphia?

Every major American cities have problems including Chicago, San Francisco, Washington DC, and Atlanta, yet I have a feeling this is only a factor because its Philadelphia.

I have spent extensive time in both cities, and I won't claim one is superior to the other (they are both fantastic), but Philadelphia has plenty of appeal and attractiveness as does Montreal. They share a lot of similarities when comparing city/downtown, especially when using the criteria in this thread. (Suburbs are different.)
Yes they do but thsi is an America and we have higher issues of crime,poor schools and higher poverty. You cant deny compared to Montreal these are not downsides

Old 04-28-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
As much as I love Montreal, if anything, I am biased toward Philadelphia. When I included that category, I thought most would go for Montreal. I am not sure what your point is.

It is excluded in hopes of the thread not degenerating into another crime discussion thread. There are enough of those in these forums. Too many people do not know how to analyze crime statistics with nuance. They will copy and paste city-wide statistics and leave it at that. For a Philadelphian living in an average middle class neighborhood here, crime is not a typically an issue. As someone who has only visited Montreal, I can't speak for Montrealers. Go ahead and factor it into your vote if you please.
Montreal being French in culture will always win in a category like this which is why I said it was a question that was designed for Montreal an it was the obvious choice. Philly culture while different would not get the average person to think it any different from Boston

Old 04-28-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblenbitz View Post
Without a doubt, I am giving suburbs to Philly (Montreal suburbs are pretty bland for the most part, although I do like Brossard and Candiac.)
Urbanity I give the edge to Montreal, if only because it’s public transit system sets it apart. As far as urban neighborhoods go, it’s too close to call otherwise IMO. Both are cities based around walkability, street walls, etc.
You are so right,They are almost austere .Very cold and lacking character. Far different from the city itself

Old 04-28-2020, 11:43 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post

It is excluded in hopes of the thread not degenerating into another crime discussion thread. There are enough of those in these forums. Too many people do not know how to analyze crime statistics with nuance. They will copy and paste city-wide statistics and leave it at that. For a Philadelphian living in an average middle class neighborhood here, crime is not a typically an issue. As someone who has only visited Montreal, I can't speak for Montrealers. Go ahead and factor it into your vote if you please.
I wouldn't let it influence my overall participation in the thread, but I do think there is an elephant in the room aspect to excluding it.

Kinda like comparing Montreal and Miami but not having climate as a criterion.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:46 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblenbitz View Post
Very fair assessment. I loved Montreal when visiting and would love to go again; definitely did give me e a Philly vibe in more than a few places. But yes, its transit system would be considered better by most--highlighting a key difference between Canadian and American approach to public transit funding for two cities of similar size.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:48 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Economy - PHI
Urbanity - MTL but close
Colleges and universities - TIE
Infrastructure (road conditions, public transit, bridges, water/energy sustainability and supply, etc.) - PHI
"High culture" (theater, museums, opera, etc.) - TIE
Housing (supply, quality, affordability, and variety) - MTL
Cost of living - PHI
Neighborhoods - MTL
Diversity - MTL
History - TIE
Distinction of local culture - MTL
Nightlife - MTL
Cuisine - MTL
Tourism - TIE
Suburbs - PHI (love the Main Line especially)
Climate - PHI
Scenery and outdoor recreation - TIE if you include the environs, MTL if just the city and burbs
Geographic position (proximity/accessibility to opportunities and recreation outside of metro) - PHI

Old 04-28-2020, 12:21 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Yes they do but thsi is an America and we have higher issues of crime,poor schools and higher poverty. You cant deny compared to Montreal these are not downsides
Agree here, but your previous statement came across as a Philadelphia call-out rather than a much wider American big city problem.

I would say Montreal is safely superior to most American cities using the metrics in this thread, however, Philadelphia is one of the few that can compare to Montreal. They are actually quite similar, and yes,
So yes, Philadelphia has larger problems but it doesn't take away from the appeal any more or less than other large American cities. (my previous point).

(also, both are great bike cities, I used to ride my bike in both for errands and fun. New York is not a good bike riding city).

Old 04-28-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Agree here, but your previous statement came across as a Philadelphia call-out rather than a much wider American big city problem.

I would say Montreal is safely superior to most American cities using the metrics in this thread, however, Philadelphia is one of the few that can compare to Montreal. They are actually quite similar, and yes,
So yes, Philadelphia has larger problems but it doesn't take away from the appeal any more or less than other large American cities. (my previous point).

(also, both are great bike cities, I used to ride my bike in both for errands and fun. New York is not a good bike riding city).
Well It kinda was a call out. Not that its fair as I do think Philly gets an unfair bad rap. Ive said this MANY times but at the same time Philly has some issues that stand out more because its growth only in most recent years have allowed its negatives to lessen as the city gets more prosperous where as many cities like Houston ,Dallas,Atlanta,etc have a lot more positives as why those cities are so popular.
Thats basically what these list are all aboutopularity.

I look at Philly this way. Philly has the potential to be Boston but its not.Its Philly. I mean in a sese that no other city quite fit with whats Philly is. Its mix of the worst of Detroit,the best of DC and a similar feel of Boston overall.
Philly if it keeps up its current trajectory will match Montreal one day like I feel Boston already does.
I mean that in quality of life but not in economic strength. I think too many other cities have been growing so much and so fast economically,its just too much competition for Philly to grow as those cities are.
Phillys best bet is to be the best version of itself because it has enough to stand on its own.

Old 04-28-2020, 01:25 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
Economy: Philadelphia
Urbanity: Montreal
Colleges and universities: Philadelphia
Infrastructure (road conditions, public transit, bridges, water/energy sustainability and supply, etc.): Montreal
"High culture" (theater, museums, opera, etc.): Philadelphia
Housing (supply, quality, affordability, and variety): Unsure
Cost of living: Not completely sure
Neighborhoods: Montreal
Diversity: Not sure
History: Philadelphia
Distinction of local culture: Montreal
Nightlife: Montreal
Cuisine: Comparable/Similar Level
Tourism: Honestly I think both are great but I’d want to visit both to make determination. Similar levels
Suburbs: Not familiar
Climate: Philadelphia
Scenery and outdoor recreation: Montreal
Geographic position (proximity/accessibility to opportunities and recreation outside of metro): Philadelphia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City