Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Tesla Pick Austin or Tulsa For Its New GigaFactory?
Austin 44 41.90%
Tulsa 61 58.10%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 11:13 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Here in California, people often say "Austin is the only place in Texas I'd live". For the most part, I agree with that. All the people coming to Austin from NY, LA, SF, Boston, etc can deal with the bad traffic, especially when it comes with the most scenic part of Texas.
In Northern California, I could believe that. More people move from Northern California to Austin than any other place in Texas.

Southern California is a different story. By far and away the biggest recipient of transplants from LA/OC/SD in Texas is the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 11:53 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Here in California, people often say "Austin is the only place in Texas I'd live". For the most part, I agree with that. All the people coming to Austin from NY, LA, SF, Boston, etc can deal with the bad traffic, especially when it comes with the most scenic part of Texas.
Austin traffic is really not bad at all if you live in the core. It's absolutely nothing compared to a place like Boston, where I often found it was faster to walk somewhere than take an Uber there. But, central Austin isn't exactly cheap these days, either. Living out in the burbs and commuting downtown everyday does not sound fun to me.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:14 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
It sounds like Austin could use some beefed up mass transit and more and better bike lanes.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:30 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It sounds like Austin could use some beefed up mass transit and more and better bike lanes.
Austin has very nice bike lanes for the most part, and a very large bike to work culture. (Especially now that ebikes and scooters are a thing). The bigger issue with bikes is that it's hot as **** outside. Ebikes definitely mitigate that, though.

Mass transit, yes. The bus system is good but painfully slow at rush hour because it sits in traffic with cars. The light rail system that will be on the ballot in November would be incredible. Hopefully it passes.

Old 06-17-2020, 03:41 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Austin has very nice bike lanes for the most part, and a very large bike to work culture. (Especially now that ebikes and scooters are a thing). The bigger issue with bikes is that it's hot as **** outside. Ebikes definitely mitigate that, though.

Mass transit, yes. The bus system is good but painfully slow at rush hour because it sits in traffic with cars. The light rail system that will be on the ballot in November would be incredible. Hopefully it passes.
I'm hoping it passes too but I have to admit that many Austinites do not seem to be on the same page as rail. Hopefully that changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
In Northern California, I could believe that. More people move from Northern California to Austin than any other place in Texas.

Southern California is a different story. By far and away the biggest recipient of transplants from LA/OC/SD in Texas is the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
Austin reminds me of a upscale San Francisco suburb.

DFW reminds me of Inland Empire. Endless suburbs.

Old 06-17-2020, 03:48 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Austin reminds me of a upscale San Francisco suburb.

DFW reminds me of Inland Empire. Endless suburbs.
Thats the wrong comparison for DFW. The suburbs of DFW are a LOT nicer than the IE. The Northern Suburbs of DFW remind me a lot more of Orange County without the beaches and mountains.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:39 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,368 times
https://electrek.co/2020/06/18/tesla...build-factory/

While not yet completely official, it looks like it will be Austin... or more accurately Del Valle

Old 06-19-2020, 08:53 AM

730 posts, read 814,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
https://electrek.co/2020/06/18/tesla...build-factory/

While not yet completely official, it looks like it will be Austin... or more accurately Del Valle
Dang, they're paying only $5 million for 2,100 acres? Is land right outside of Austin usually that cheap?

Old 06-19-2020, 10:44 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
Dang, they're paying only $5 million for 2,100 acres? Is land right outside of Austin usually that cheap?
southeast of the city, yes, in any other direction, hell no ;-)

Old 06-19-2020, 10:54 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I almost had a dizzy spell just thinking about riding a bike in that neck of the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City