Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: First city that comes to mind with Texas?
Austin 3 1.41%
Dallas 156 73.24%
El Paso 3 1.41%
Fort Worth 9 4.23%
Houston 26 12.21%
San Antonio 13 6.10%
Other (specify) 3 1.41%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 06:08 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
FWIW I knew nothing about Austin whatsoever until I got a job offer and moved there in 2018. My original plan was either Seattle WA or West Lake / South Lake or Frisco area of DFW. Austin wasn’t really a thought of mine. I was kind of expecting it to be like Waco.
When in fact it's pretty different from Waco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 06:10 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
When in fact it's pretty different from Waco.
Night and day difference, I found this out on day 1.

Old 10-20-2020, 06:17 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
If we're talking about climate, then El Paso fits the stereotypical West Coast view of Texas as a mostly desert Southwest state. Californians who haven't been to Texas often don't know the eastern half of the state is actually humid subtropical, with Houston having a similar climate to Northern Florida. Californians largely think Houston is in the desert.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:04 PM

1,846 posts, read 831,112 times
Coming from someone that lives in the D/FW it seems like most people know where Dallas is outside of Texas, but they also tend to know about H-Town as well. It's Surprising that Houston is so far back considering it international status and size.

Old 10-20-2020, 07:39 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProtege View Post
Coming from someone that lives in the D/FW it seems like most people know where Dallas is outside of Texas, but they also tend to know about H-Town as well. It's Surprising that Houston is so far back considering it international status and size.
Yeah, we all know about both cities, but if we're forced to pick just one then it's Dallas for most of us. Have no idea what it is internationally.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:32 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
NOLA is 60%+ black. That’s very integrated for a city that is that black... is there one better?

Keep in mind this is my frame of reference for integration. In 2010 the Boston area was very white and segregated. But I guess Boston itself was more integrated than NO.

It’s still like this albeit significantly more Latino throughout and significantly blacker to the south. Significantly more Asian to the west.

The closest in photo is the geographic center of Boston, south of downtown. I couldn’t get another shot that only caught Boston because the city is only 4.5 miles wide.

Attachment 224653

Attachment 224654

Attachment 224656

Attachment 224657
Well keep in mind that Katrina sped up the decline of the Black population. It was already heading that way pre-Katrina and it took a turn for the worst after Katrina.

This article breaks down the racial dynamic in New Orleans a bit.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-middle-class/

Quote:
All of those changes are closely entwined with issues of race. More than 175,000 black residents left New Orleans in the year after the storm; more than 75,000 never came back.2 Meanwhile, the non-Hispanic white population has nearly returned to its pre-storm total, and the Hispanic population, though still small compared with other Southern cities, has grown by more than 30 percent. Together, the trends have pushed the African-American share of the population down to 59 percent in 2013, from 66 percent in 2005.
I think New Orleans "integration" is a bit different especially considering what Katrina did to the city. Many Black New Orleans natives truly believe that Whites used Katrina to get rid of Black natives. I even remember my friends(who is from New Orleans) White boyfriend brag about "Katrina getting rid of the thugs and sending them to Houston". I knew that was code word for Black people. But that's another topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
FWIW I knew nothing about Austin whatsoever until I got a job offer and moved there in 2018. My original plan was either Seattle WA or West Lake / South Lake or Frisco area of DFW. Austin wasn’t really a thought of mine. I was kind of expecting it to be like Waco.
LMAO@ expecting Austin to be like Waco. Worlds apart

Old 10-21-2020, 09:15 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Many teams don't play in their major city. So what. They're still part of that city.
The sports team wasn't the focus of that post... that's why I said it was "pointless getting into that"...

Old 10-21-2020, 02:05 PM

92 posts, read 105,532 times
As a history buff I'm shocked at how low San Antonio is. A TV show trumps 3 centuries of famous battles/revolutions I suppose.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:37 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Your Idols! View Post
As a history buff I'm shocked at how low San Antonio is. A TV show trumps 3 centuries of famous battles/revolutions I suppose.
Young people generally don't even know what Dallas (the show) is.
I only know about it because Melle Mel rapped "All My Children in the daytime, Dallas at night"

It's more like Dallas being the 2nd largest city in Texas and coming closer to the modern stereotypes of Texas. And being such a massive metro that it has high name re recognition.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:45 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Young people don't even know what Dallas (the show) is.
I only know about it because Melle Mel rapped "All My Children in the daytime, Dallas at night"

It's more like Dallas being the 2nd largest city in Texas and coming closer to the modern stereotypes of Texas. And being such a massive metro that it has high name re recognition.
Yeah. I didn’t know what that show was until right after High School when we talked to an older person from Dallas who was telling us about the city. But from what I’ve heard since then, it seems it was a big deal in its time. Maybe their generation’s version of Jersey Shore? In a show named after a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City