Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: First city that comes to mind with Texas?
Austin 3 1.41%
Dallas 156 73.24%
El Paso 3 1.41%
Fort Worth 9 4.23%
Houston 26 12.21%
San Antonio 13 6.10%
Other (specify) 3 1.41%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 05:57 PM

9,861 posts, read 6,574,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
LOT OF CHATTER ON TV SHOWS ETC. Some EXAMPLES -
l
2015 link - The 5 Most Iconic TV Shows Set In Texas

https://www.dmagazine.com/arts-enter...-set-in-texas/

From link.
The idea of Texas conjures up a lot of strong impressions. In large part, we have films and TV to thank for that. With that in mind, we tried to settle on the five most iconic television shows set in Texas -- programs that shaped people’s perception of the state and added to Texans’ rich history of self-mythologizing.

1) "King of the Hill", (1997 to 2010) - animated
No other show captured the cadence of suburban Texas like. The animated program from Mike Judge, is set in the fictional town of Arlen, a fill-in for any community that shares a passion for lawn care, barbecue, and football. So really, most Texas towns.

I think of Arlington, TX smack between Dallas and Ft Worth - when I hear of a fictional town term - Arlen

2) "Walker, Texas Ranger", (1993—2001)
The Chuck Norris vehicle featuring the state’s most legendary lawmen.
Filmed primarily in and around Dallas, the show used a number of local landmarks, typically in set-pieces involving a shootout, a car chase, or some combination of the two.

3) "Friday Night Lights" (2006 - 2011) , the drama series centered on a high school football team that drives life in a small, rural town. Checks almost every box on the "Texas high school football stereotype".

4) "Dallas" (1978 - 1991) (2012 - 2014) Made Dallas a household name was ahead of the curve in many ways.
The oilmen, the big hats, the bigger hair -- Dallas helped define a lot of the things much of the world associates with the city and state today.

5) "Big Rich Texas" - The representative pick for a slew of reality programs set here, for better or worse (mostly for worse). The handful of reality shows filmed in Texas follow a format similar to programs around the country–entitled people go about their daily lives and create drama and its portrayal of a country club life in upscale Dallas. The show is filmed in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas.

Then there are MOVIES that define Texas and location set in Texas and filmed there. Some links highlight overall Top 20th century Classics set in Texas. This link Pop Culture ones more more late 20th century. Then Houston sways more for aspects of movies in this list especially NASA.
Some Newer - favorite films have been shot here also incude - "Twins," "Robocop 2," and "Blind Fury."

2019 updated link - The 10 Best Movies Filmed in Houston

https://www.tripsavvy.com/movies-fil...ouston-1911434

From link.
1) "Urban Cowboy" (1980) - Ask anyone from Pasadena (a prominent Houston suburb and the seventh most populous city in Texas) what their town is most known for. Arguably, it's one of the most famous iconic Texas films out there filmed in Pasadena,TX. Chronicles the volatile relationship between the main characters (a cowboy and cowgirl, respectively). Much of the film was shot at the massive Gilley’s Club in Pasadena, Texas.

Gilley’s-style clubs, complete with mechanical bulls of their own, shot up seemingly overnight in every major city in America.
Western wear became the apparel of choice, at least on weekends.
Couples were springing to the dance floors, boot-scooting the two-step and the Cotton Eye Joe, to the swinging sounds of country

Clearly also - Country Music is also a Star of this movie in it became - The album landed at No. 3 on the all-genre Billboard 200. It eventually sold more than 3 million copies.

2) "Tin Cup" (1996) - Though only a portion of the movie was shot near Houston, makes our list based solely on the gut-wrenching golf course meltdown at the end of the film. Any true golfer can relate to the $2 per bucket driving range portrayed in the film.

3) "Apollo 13" (1995) - "Houston, we have a problem ..." No one can forget that tense phrase one of the greatest astronaut movies of all time, part of this movie shot at NASA's Johnson Space Center, one of Houston's most prominent attractions and where movie takes place.

4) "Armegeddon" (1998) - Disney's most expensive film at the time, as a space movie and action-packed. introducing the concept of "the end of the world" at a time before anyone even considered it. NASA a key roll again.

5) "Friday Night Lights" (2004) - focuses on the football team, the coach, and the adults who define themselves around their relationship to the sport.

6) "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" (1982) - This movie has inspired countless spin-offs, parodies, and imitations and you've got yourself a bona fide cult classic.
Yeah. NASA has gifted Houston lots of film settings. Urban Cowboy is the outlier here. For TV Shows, I'd also add Reba and Young Sheldon. For movies, I'd go ahead and add Boy Meets World
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 06:52 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Yeah. NASA has gifted Houston lots of film settings. Urban Cowboy is the outlier here.
NASA also had the movies on that list in the 1990s. Perhaps that is ancient and 1980 for Urban Cowboy is Prehistoric.

Still When something plays a huge Pop Culture roll for a decade+ and even gave a big kick for a music gendre that maybe needed one then .... it is why that link did place the 1980 movie at #1 for Houston hyping in movies.

Many times Pop Culture has loooong lasting effects. 30-40 yrs might be a couple generation ago. Still many Legacy cities have Pop Culture eras linger a century later. Few see Houston as a mecca of Country music and related Pop Culture today. Not sure if it was even in 1980. Still the movie had music as a huge part and Album sales as noted.

Those NASA location movies from the 1990s were on the legacy of NASA in the Apollo Moon race era of the 1960s early 70s. Apollo 13 was in 1970 and a aborted moon landing though successful in the Astronauts returned safe. It was NOT about even 1990s NASA yet alone today.

Texas is still huuuuge in this 2010's decade in hype that ends New Years eve. Yet Texas based TV shows or Movies are not bigger then the past decades with Hollywood still rather promote the Texas stereotypes of then still. I know of no Big movies/TV shows that were bigger 2010s. NASA also has to split any sensationalizing with Cape Canaveral in Florida and the Space Center by Dallas in Texas. Still the Command Center is key after take-offs from Florida.

These were two post in a somewhat competing sight to C-D I read on these 2 places to view the legacy and current aspects of NASA.

Space Center Houston - is great for kids. The Cape Canaveral Space Center is better for adults. I will say that some of the back-stage tours at the Space center are fine, but just going to the space center itself is not that much different than going to, say, the museum of science and industry in Chicago, or the Exploratorium in San Francisco. Whereas at Kennedy you are seeing the stuff that really works.

The man-toys (not gender neutral) will always reside at Florida's Cape Canaveral Space Center and the those who operate the toys from at the Houston Space Command Center.

Old 10-24-2020, 02:16 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Dallas is just a cool & unique name to begin with. When I think of the name Dallas I think of someone that has sex appeal, edgy, with status.
Is my least of the 3 cities, but even I think of names I think Austin is sexier.

I have met a few sets of brothers with names Houston and Austin and Austin and Dallas.
Surprisingly I have met more Asians named Houston than other races.
Of the three Austin is the least associated with blacks but it's the only one of the three that I have met a black person named after. Dallas I have only met white guys named after.
I am yet to meet any El Paso, Fort Worths or Saint Anthonys.

Old 10-24-2020, 03:34 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Is my least of the 3 cities, but even I think of names I think Austin is sexier.

I have met a few sets of brothers with names Houston and Austin and Austin and Dallas.
Of the three Austin is the least associated with blacks but it's the only one of the three that I have met a black person named after. Dallas I have only met white guys named after.
Austin is a pretty common first name.

Old 10-24-2020, 05:33 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Austin is a pretty common first name.
Wasn’t it the name of a general or someone who founded Austin?

Old 10-24-2020, 06:27 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Wasn’t it the name of a general or someone who founded Austin?
it was named after the father of Texas.....Stephen F Austin

Old 10-24-2020, 08:32 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

Austin is a pretty common first name. Trust me there are black males and females named Dallas out there. That would be hot mess if someone named their child Fort Worth but I’m sure there are some folks name “Worth” out in the world somewhere. Now naming your child after Fort Worth founder General Worth would be pretty dope. It would have been cool if the “Fort” was taking off Fort Worth’s name and replaced with General and that would have giving us the name General Worth, TX.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:33 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I mean.......Debbie did do Dallas.
Lmao... FACTS!

Old 10-25-2020, 07:54 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
LOT OF CHATTER ON TV SHOWS ETC. Some EXAMPLES -
l
2015 link - The 5 Most Iconic TV Shows Set In Texas

https://www.dmagazine.com/arts-enter...-set-in-texas/

From link.
The idea of Texas conjures up a lot of strong impressions. In large part, we have films and TV to thank for that. With that in mind, we tried to settle on the five most iconic television shows set in Texas -- programs that shaped people’s perception of the state and added to Texans’ rich history of self-mythologizing.

1) "King of the Hill", (1997 to 2010) - animated
No other show captured the cadence of suburban Texas like. The animated program from Mike Judge, is set in the fictional town of Arlen, a fill-in for any community that shares a passion for lawn care, barbecue, and football. So really, most Texas towns.

I think of Arlington, TX smack between Dallas and Ft Worth - when I hear of a fictional town term - Arlen

2) "Walker, Texas Ranger", (1993—2001)
The Chuck Norris vehicle featuring the state’s most legendary lawmen.
Filmed primarily in and around Dallas, the show used a number of local landmarks, typically in set-pieces involving a shootout, a car chase, or some combination of the two.

3) "Friday Night Lights" (2006 - 2011) , the drama series centered on a high school football team that drives life in a small, rural town. Checks almost every box on the "Texas high school football stereotype".

4) "Dallas" (1978 - 1991) (2012 - 2014) Made Dallas a household name was ahead of the curve in many ways.
The oilmen, the big hats, the bigger hair -- Dallas helped define a lot of the things much of the world associates with the city and state today.

5) "Big Rich Texas" - The representative pick for a slew of reality programs set here, for better or worse (mostly for worse). The handful of reality shows filmed in Texas follow a format similar to programs around the country–entitled people go about their daily lives and create drama and its portrayal of a country club life in upscale Dallas. The show is filmed in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas.

Then there are MOVIES that define Texas and location set in Texas and filmed there. Some links highlight overall Top 20th century Classics set in Texas. This link Pop Culture ones more more late 20th century. Then Houston sways more for aspects of movies in this list especially NASA.
Some Newer - favorite films have been shot here also incude - "Twins," "Robocop 2," and "Blind Fury."

2019 updated link - The 10 Best Movies Filmed in Houston

https://www.tripsavvy.com/movies-fil...ouston-1911434

From link.
1) "Urban Cowboy" (1980) - Ask anyone from Pasadena (a prominent Houston suburb and the seventh most populous city in Texas) what their town is most known for. Arguably, it's one of the most famous iconic Texas films out there filmed in Pasadena,TX. Chronicles the volatile relationship between the main characters (a cowboy and cowgirl, respectively). Much of the film was shot at the massive Gilley’s Club in Pasadena, Texas.

Gilley’s-style clubs, complete with mechanical bulls of their own, shot up seemingly overnight in every major city in America.
Western wear became the apparel of choice, at least on weekends.
Couples were springing to the dance floors, boot-scooting the two-step and the Cotton Eye Joe, to the swinging sounds of country

Clearly also - Country Music is also a Star of this movie in it became - The album landed at No. 3 on the all-genre Billboard 200. It eventually sold more than 3 million copies.

2) "Tin Cup" (1996) - Though only a portion of the movie was shot near Houston, makes our list based solely on the gut-wrenching golf course meltdown at the end of the film. Any true golfer can relate to the $2 per bucket driving range portrayed in the film.

3) "Apollo 13" (1995) - "Houston, we have a problem ..." No one can forget that tense phrase one of the greatest astronaut movies of all time, part of this movie shot at NASA's Johnson Space Center, one of Houston's most prominent attractions and where movie takes place.

4) "Armegeddon" (1998) - Disney's most expensive film at the time, as a space movie and action-packed. introducing the concept of "the end of the world" at a time before anyone even considered it. NASA a key roll again.

5) "Friday Night Lights" (2004) - focuses on the football team, the coach, and the adults who define themselves around their relationship to the sport.

6) "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" (1982) - This movie has inspired countless spin-offs, parodies, and imitations and you've got yourself a bona fide cult classic.
Can't forget Terms of Endearment, which was filmed and set in Houston.

Quote:
Texas is still huuuuge in this 2010's decade in hype that ends New Years eve. Yet Texas based TV shows or Movies are not bigger then the past decades with Hollywood still rather promote the Texas stereotypes of then still. I know of no Big movies/TV shows that were bigger 2010s. NASA also has to split any sensationalizing with Cape Canaveral in Florida and the Space Center by Dallas in Texas. Still the Command Center is key after take-offs from Florida.
Ever see the Martian? They made Johnson Space Center look like present-day Singapore lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Unless I misunderstood, they seemed to be implying that Dallas members on Reddit were stuffing the box
Ah reddit, the place where stupid people go to feel smart lol. Reddit is so terrible and I'm glad City-Data doesn't have the same upvote group-think system.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:01 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
*Garland
It could have been both.

Richardson and Garland literally blend into each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City