Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: First city that comes to mind with Texas?
Austin 3 1.41%
Dallas 156 73.24%
El Paso 3 1.41%
Fort Worth 9 4.23%
Houston 26 12.21%
San Antonio 13 6.10%
Other (specify) 3 1.41%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 01:17 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
New Orleans is far from integrated. Even by American standards. Not sure what made you think this.
I consider this fairly integrated Poll - City most associated with Texas?-racial-dot-map_-one-dot-per

It is one primarily white section with a little diversity. Then one black section and then many outer and mixed areas. To me-most of that area looks pretty integrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 01:50 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I consider this fairly integrated Attachment 224648

It is one primarily white section with a little diversity. Then one black section and then many outer and mixed areas. To me-most of that area looks pretty integrated.
I see masses of whites and blacks restricted to certain sides of cities. And integrated central areas (which are everywhere) but less so in New Orleans. New Orleans is also statistically one of the most segregated cities in USA besides the map.

The one thing New Orleans does have tho is commercial districts such as Bourbon where you’ll see whites and blacks mingling with no problem. But residentially both the feel and statistics make New Orleans segregated overall.

Old 10-20-2020, 02:04 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I see masses of whites and blacks restricted to certain sides of cities. And integrated central areas (which are everywhere) but less so in New Orleans. New Orleans is also statistically one of the most segregated cities in USA besides the map.

The one thing New Orleans does have tho is commercial districts such as Bourbon where you’ll see whites and blacks mingling with no problem. But residentially both the feel and statistics make New Orleans segregated overall.
Exactly. New Orleans is like a 4th home to me. I know the city good enough to know it’s very segregated. Like you said, commercial districts are where you see different groups mingling but other than that normally it’s segregated.

I think to understand New Orleans segregation you gotta look beyond the maps. For instance there’s neighborhoods that were predominantly Black but now have White transplants living in those areas via gentrification. Now personally I wouldn’t consider gentrifying communities being truly integrated if the old residents of that community will eventually be displaced elsewhere.

So I’m some cases you see low income people living blocks from middle class-affluent people in the same neighborhood. On a map it looks integrated but in person you definitely feel the segregation.

Old 10-20-2020, 02:19 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Exactly. New Orleans is like a 4th home to me. I know the city good enough to know it’s very segregated. Like you said, commercial districts are where you see different groups mingling but other than that normally it’s segregated.

I think to understand New Orleans segregation you gotta look beyond the maps. For instance there’s neighborhoods that were predominantly Black but now have White transplants living in those areas via gentrification. Now personally I wouldn’t consider gentrifying communities being truly integrated if the old residents of that community will eventually be displaced elsewhere.

So I’m some cases you see low income people living blocks from middle class-affluent people in the same neighborhood. On a map it looks integrated but in person you definitely feel the segregation.
Even in the map I don’t see much integration at all. Not sure what he’s seeing. New Orleans was statistically named the second most segregated big city after New Orleans. The gap between 1 and 2 being embarrassingly large though. I hate how Detroit gets so much bad these kinds of topics.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:02 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
No its very integrated throughout the whole Las Vegas Valley. Just more white kids in a private school like anywhere thats majority-minority. It's a little whiter in Henderson and he school in Henderson are significantly whiter.

Schools in Nevada are bad and white parents are sensitive to that.

Nevada Shines Light Onto America's Future

40 Years From Now, The U.S. Could Look Like Las Vegas
If white parents aren't sending their kids to public school in Las Vegas en masse, I don't see how it is particularly integrated if it's the same old pattern.

The only places I've seen meaningful black/white/Hispanic integration so far have been particular suburbs like Baldwin, NY. Even then, the white population is shrinking.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:15 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Dallas sort of stands on its own for me as does Houston’s

I chose San Antonio. The name is heavily associated to Texas for me in addition to the Alamo.

Austin literally was a random town until somehow starting in 2005 it became like. A huge thing and now the entire country knows about Austin

Old 10-20-2020, 03:52 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

I chose San Antonio. The name is heavily associated to Texas for me in addition to the Alamo.

Austin literally was a random town until somehow starting in 2005 it became like. A huge thing and now the entire country knows about Austin
But 2005 was a very long time ago
People had tube TVs and flip phones back then

Old 10-20-2020, 04:11 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
NOLA is 60%+ black. That’s very integrated for a city that is that black... is there one better?

Keep in mind this is my frame of reference for integration. In 2010 the Boston area was very white and segregated. But I guess Boston itself was more integrated than NO.

It’s still like this albeit significantly more Latino throughout and significantly blacker to the south. Significantly more Asian to the west.

The closest in photo is the geographic center of Boston, south of downtown. I couldn’t get another shot that only caught Boston because the city is only 4.5 miles wide.

Poll - City most associated with Texas?-2f7aa752-4cdb-446a-ba7f-6932b6077669.jpeg

Poll - City most associated with Texas?-32039b6f-1e6e-45a4-b413-166955ea519e.jpeg

Poll - City most associated with Texas?-09b6765d-d7d7-4fbb-9b82-fc273b26e333.jpeg

Poll - City most associated with Texas?-92e1c295-b040-4519-a6ef-3eec303a07a1.jpeg

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 10-20-2020 at 05:29 PM..

Old 10-20-2020, 04:28 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Those things are not in Dallas... and neither are the Cowboys, but there's no point in getting into that.
Many teams don't play in their major city. So what. They're still part of that city.

Old 10-20-2020, 05:19 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

FWIW I knew nothing about Austin whatsoever until I got a job offer and moved there in 2018. My original plan was either Seattle WA or West Lake / South Lake or Frisco area of DFW. Austin wasn’t really a thought of mine. I was kind of expecting it to be like Waco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City