Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: First city that comes to mind with Texas?
Austin 3 1.41%
Dallas 156 73.24%
El Paso 3 1.41%
Fort Worth 9 4.23%
Houston 26 12.21%
San Antonio 13 6.10%
Other (specify) 3 1.41%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 01:59 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
I got a kick out of this map. It does not have the names of the cities on it. It has the cities as diagonally stripped circles on the map there so you clearly know where the 4 main cities are. Dallas/Ft Worth is shown with a bridge between them. What is funny is both the map by region vegetation and such are in a region with Prairie in its name.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click

It places Ft Worth in a region called; Grand Prairie
It places Dallas in a region they call; Blackland Prairie
Inbetween is a region the map calls; Post Oak Belt
Austin and San Antonio on the borders of 2 - 3 on map
Houston North Half is placed into ; Piney Woods
Houston South Half is placed into; Coastal Plain

Found it interesting for these cities as all on borders of kinda regions of this unique map.
Yes there are sub-regions within the four main geographic regions. I find it all very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 02:03 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Austin seems to attract tons of liberal Gen Xers. I never got the vibe that Austin is mostly young people.

Doesn't Dallas also have a pretty big hipster youth culture anyway?
Yes it does. There’s several areas around the city that are hipster magnets.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:22 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
I agree 100% that hipsterism is so mainstream that it's not even that notable anymore. Key hipster elements like craft beer, love for Bernie Sanders, dingy dive bars with young people, artsy stuff, etc. can be found all over white Urban America. Though I'm sure even not white cities like El Paso have some of this.

However I find that the hipsterism of say, Bushwick Brooklyn is more "raw" to me if that makes sense. It might just be the gritty urban environment with graffiti everywhere, though.

When I went to Austin, I actually really liked its burbs because they felt less like hipster New York and more like something that I'm not used to. People encouraged me not to go there because it was "anywhereville USA" but I'm glad I didn't listen because I had an absolute blast at a bar in Pflugerville. People were so damn friendly there. I also found Round Rock and Pflugerville to be more racially integrated than core Austin. Like I would actually see whites, Hispanics, and blacks hanging out and playing pool together while East Austin seemed like its nightlife was pretty much just white people.
Yeah, the further out you get from urban cores, the more unique they’ll be. Because all urban cores becoming the same. I would worry how far out I go, though. I would hate to end up in the wrong redneck bar I’m a tiny town tucked away.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:24 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
None of the majors stand away from their state. Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, And Fort Worth are all so interwoven with Texas that none stand on their identity alone. This is not a Chicago and Illinois type situation at all.
It’s not. But it doesn’t have to be to make a difference. Fort Worth feels far more of what people think to be Texan than any of the others.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:33 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
None of the majors stand away from their state. Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, And Fort Worth are all so interwoven with Texas that none stand on their identity alone. This is not a Chicago and Illinois type situation at all.
Exactly. Austin is no different in that sense even if it seems the "least Texas". People have this huge misconception of what Texas truly is due to Hollywood. Like I said earlier most people are surprised that East Texas is the way it is. Even people in big cities in Texas. When I first took my Wife a native Houstonian to my hometown she said, "This got a Alabama/Mississippi vibe". And mind you assessment was based off Hollywood's version of those states.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:34 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Yeah, the further out you get from urban cores, the more unique they’ll be. Because all urban cores becoming the same. I would worry how far out I go, though. I would hate to end up in the wrong redneck bar I’m a tiny town tucked away.
Isn't rural Texas filled with Hispanics?

Old 10-18-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Exactly. Austin is no different in that sense even if it seems the "least Texas". People have this huge misconception of what Texas truly is due to Hollywood. Like I said earlier most people are surprised that East Texas is the way it is. Even people in big cities in Texas. When I first took my Wife a native Houstonian to my hometown she said, "This got a Alabama/Mississippi vibe". And mind you assessment was based off Hollywood's version of those states.
My liberal Gen X arents were under the impression that Texas was all redneck stuff so they were surprised that I wanted to go there.

My mom later went to El Paso and admitted that her idea of Texas was so wrong.

Old 10-18-2020, 02:42 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,574 times
Quote:
And yes, Austin is clearly a part of Texas. They sell Texas beers at all the bars there and its local food styles (BBQ and Tex-Mex) are very Texan.
How about State Fairs, Rodeo's, tail-gating events, 4-wheeling events, Country Music venues not the huge ones. Honkytonks of course.

There may be someone somewhere who just by chance never heard of Austin,TX? But who in a right mind would try to leave out Austin or San Antonio when takin' 'bout Texas. It might be a Whole 'nother Country.... but not part of Texas?..... How anyone thought this ... I do not know? Just cause this thread has Houston and Dallas higher on radars from a National perspective. Does not mean anyone would leave these other 2 cities out of Texas Culture. Even in mighty NYC.

Some merely think that because the Big cities are more into Rap and have a African-American larger base perhaps??? That Texas CULTURALLY has had a large switch in all 4 corners including a HUGE part of Texas that is between and around its Big cities. Stereotypes can be still hyped and exaggerated. But those who think Country-ish scenes do not exist or like tiny now? Well I do not think or hope that Texans may hope it is still a part of what has ALWAYS Been Texas for decades.

Maybe Europeans who go to Texas desire to see the Rap/Hip Hop culture? I think many would be disappointed if that is what is the main event of Texas is today.

Last edited by NoHyping; 10-18-2020 at 02:54 PM..

Old 10-18-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
How about State Fairs, Rodeo's, tail-gating events, 4-wheeling events, Country Music venues not the huge ones. Honkytonks of course.

There may be someone somewhere who just by chance never heard of Austin,TX? But who in a right mind would try to leave out Austin or San Antonio when takin' 'bout Texas. It might be a Whole 'nother Country.... but not part of Texas?..... How anyone thought this ... I do not know? Just cause this thread has Houston and Dallas higher on radars from a National perspective. Does not mean anyone would leave these other 2 cities out of Texas Culture. Even in mighty NYC.

Some merely think that because the Big cities are more into Rap and have a African-American larger base perhaps??? That Texas CULTURALLY has had a large switch in all 4 corners including a HUGE part of Texas that is between and around its Big cities. Stereotypes can be still hyped and exaggerated. But those who think Country-ish scenes do not exist or like tiny now? Well I do not think or hope that Texans may hope it is still a part of what has ALWAYS Been Texas for decades.

Maybe Europeans who go to Texas desire to see the Rap/Hip Hop culture? I think many would be disappointed if that is what is the main event of Texas is today.
Aren't there honky tonks all over Texas?

I don't think that Texas's reputation fully revolves around say, rap culture. In fact, the most popular rapper from Texas right now does not really make music that sounds discernibly Texan, unlike say, Slim Thug and Paul Wall back in 2004.

But still, I don't think Texas' modern reputation revolves explicitly around things like country music and cowboy stuff.

Old 10-18-2020, 03:28 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Only on City data would people think a State Capital doesn't fit in that State.
Isn't state capitals usually a little different from the rest of the State anyway?
Boston and Atlanta are two other large city state capitals but they would not be good to use as comparisons as they command pretty much their whole states, but when you look at other state capitals that don't take up that much of their respective States, they are usually different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City