Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: First city that comes to mind with Texas?
Austin 3 1.41%
Dallas 156 73.24%
El Paso 3 1.41%
Fort Worth 9 4.23%
Houston 26 12.21%
San Antonio 13 6.10%
Other (specify) 3 1.41%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 10:50 AM

1,803 posts, read 933,932 times

Advertisements

The poll went as I suspected that most from outside of Texas have Dallas come to mind over Houston. I am sure many still see Austin/San Antonio more historically Texas and terms heart n soul. Still in Pop Culture it sways big to Dallas and not just because most on C-D are OLDER. A lot are young here .... who even see Rap/Hip Hop as Hugely Texas Culture today over other music and stereotypes like Country. This from post I have read in threads and many of them then see Houston as the default city for that with Atlanta in the eastern side of the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Some cities we rarely group with the states they’re in. Chicago is rarely grouped with Illinois for example. San Francisco has extremely great name recognition, but LA is more attached to California than SF. Austin as we know is extremely trendy but definitely seen on its own wether rightfully so or not.
Simply, it does nothing for Chicago to have Illinois as key to its placement or distinction as a Legacy City that is much differently seen then the rest of the state. Chicago could be in Wisconsin or Indiana. Just as NYC could just as well be in New Jersey. Unlike Texas. There is a huge political divided between the Northern 1/3 of IL which Chicagoland is key and rest of the state. Going into the history of Illinois becoming a state. This Northern part of IL was originally part of the Wisconsin Territory originally. Texas still has big city more rural divide, just less so where the state divides so staunchly?

Savvy politics by primarily one man to Congress to gain IL statehood. He had the vision that IL having more border on Lake Michigan... would be a great asset in the future. He of course was correct. The divide and resentment of those in Northern IL actually then had a vote after statehood THAT ACTUALLY VOTED TO SUCCEED from the new state of IL. The vote had no Power, but showed a divide that never died.

On California with LA and SF. I know of no one that does not affiliate BOTH LA and SF with Cali. Just the state could be divided by Southern and Northern California and key city for both is California to the world. Just if one had to be picked? LA with Hollywood yes .... would win out. I DO NOT THINK THE VOTE DIVIDE of a thread for the most ASSOCIATED CITY WITH CALIFORNIA? Would be as large as the cities of Texas here? Maybe that is a idea for another thread. I could be wrong of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 11:04 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
No, it definitely mattrrs. There's a notable change in the percentages for the cities vs. counties.
I can safely assume that from the jump that your point was not focused on city proper alone, but okay, let's see this notable change.

Quote:
In any event, you did move the goal posts. First, you tried to say SA is comparable to NOLA demographically. Then when I thoroughly debunked that by pointing up their stark differences in terms of language, race, history and political leadership, you decided to start comparing SA demographically to other Texas cities.
Not at all. Reread my post and you'll see that my comparison between NO and SA was referring specifically to history and architecture.

Quote:
In any event, using the stat about languages other than English spoken in a household doesn't work when making the case that Houston / Dallas are just as integrated with hispanic culture as San Antonio. The first two cities have a considerably larger international population (meaning outside of North America) and a considerably larger domestic population of people from non-Hispanic African /European/Asian descent. So unlke in San Antonio, a significant number of those households in Dallas / Houston likely speak a foreign language other than Spanish.
The stats I posted were the percentage of residents that spoke Spanish specifically, not just a language besides English. So in Bexar County which is predominantly Hispanic you have a lower percentage of residents that speak Spanish at home than in Harris County which is only ~40% Hispanic

Quote:
Since you say it's about providing insight on local demographics, the fact is no matter how you want to spin it, hispanics only make up ~45% of the population in Dallas and Houston, while hispanics make up nearly 65% of the population in San Antonio.
Okay but in what ways does that make SA a city far more steeped in Hispanic culture is what I'm asking you

Old 10-18-2020, 11:44 AM

613 posts, read 327,024 times
Down to The Metroplex cities of Dallas-Ft. worth, and San Antonio

Old 10-18-2020, 12:06 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
On California with LA and SF. I know of no one that does not affiliate BOTH LA and SF with Cali. Just the state could be divided by Southern and Northern California and key city for both is California to the world. Just if one had to be picked? LA with Hollywood yes .... would win out. I DO NOT THINK THE VOTE DIVIDE of a thread for the most ASSOCIATED CITY WITH CALIFORNIA? Would be as large as the cities of Texas here? Maybe that is a idea for another thread. I could be wrong of course.
I am a thousand percent sure that LA fits the narrative more of what people think of California. I’d be surprised if anyone disputes this. San Francisco is one of the greatest known cities in (forget America), the world. Just like LA is. But San Francisco far less fits what people think of California compared to LA.

Austin is very much grouped to Texas. It’s not a Chicago situation. San Francisco is also grouped to California. But despite their recognition, they’re not as thought of for being in their state. Austin less so than SF.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:24 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I can safely assume that from the jump that your point was not focused on city proper alone, but okay, let's see this notable change.
This thread from the beginning has been about cities, so I'm not sure how you made that assumption.

Quote:
Not at all. Reread my post and you'll see that my comparison between NO and SA was referring specifically to history and architecture.
Doesn't matter. It was still a poor comparison.

NOLA was under French rule for over 50 years, while SA was under hispanic rule for roughly 115 years and never under French rule. NOLA is a french name, while SA is a hispanic name. San Antonio was the center of a major battle for independence from hispaniola, NOLA was not.

Quote:
...The stats I posted were the percentage of residents that spoke Spanish specifically, not just a language besides English...
Please provide a link to your stats for each city. If we're going to be posting stata, they should at least be clean.

The census doesn't explicitly say that percentage is for people who spoke spanish, at least not on the page for each individual city. The links are below.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...s,US/PST045219

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/houstoncitytexas

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/dallascitytexas

Old 10-18-2020, 12:25 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times
Austin seems to attract tons of liberal Gen Xers. I never got the vibe that Austin is mostly young people.

Doesn't Dallas also have a pretty big hipster youth culture anyway?

Old 10-18-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
What does number of reddit members have to do with which city is associated with Texas?
Unless I misunderstood, they seemed to be implying that Dallas members on Reddit were stuffing the box

Old 10-18-2020, 12:29 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
The poll went as I suspected that most from outside of Texas have Dallas come to mind over Houston. I am sure many still see Austin/San Antonio more historically Texas and terms heart n soul. Still in Pop Culture it sways big to Dallas and not just because most on C-D are OLDER. A lot are young here .... who even see Rap/Hip Hop as Hugely Texas Culture today over other music and stereotypes like Country. This from post I have read in threads and many of them then see Houston as the default city for that with Atlanta in the eastern side of the South.

Simply, it does nothing for Chicago to have Illinois as key to its placement or distinction as a Legacy City that is much differently seen then the rest of the state. Chicago could be in Wisconsin or Indiana. Just as NYC could just as well be in New Jersey. Unlike Texas. There is a huge political divided between the Northern 1/3 of IL which Chicagoland is key and rest of the state. Going into the history of Illinois becoming a state. This Northern part of IL was originally part of the Wisconsin Territory originally. Texas still has big city more rural divide, just less so where the state divides so staunchly?

Savvy politics by primarily one man to Congress to gain IL statehood. He had the vision that IL having more border on Lake Michigan... would be a great asset in the future. He of course was correct. The divide and resentment of those in Northern IL actually then had a vote after statehood THAT ACTUALLY VOTED TO SUCCEED from the new state of IL. The vote had no Power, but showed a divide that never died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I am a thousand percent sure that LA fits the narrative more of what people think of California. I’d be surprised if anyone disputes this. San Francisco is one of the greatest known cities in (forget America), the world. Just like LA is. But San Francisco far less fits what people think of California compared to LA.

Austin is very much grouped to Texas. It’s not a Chicago situation. San Francisco is also grouped to California. But despite their recognition, they’re not as thought of for being in their state. Austin less so than SF.
San Francisco is totally associated with California. It (for many years) has been a hotbed for the far left politics that California is associated with.

I agree that LA is very associated with California though. The only city that might be more California-y would be San Diego.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Interesting how this thread has gone a totally different direction from the Ohio one, which is mostly just focusing on name recognition outside the state.

r/Dallas is really not a great community. I think it's quite poorly moderated and it's had a lot of issues with trolling, political battles, etc.
I've read r/Houston and it's not much better.

It's like all the folks who get off on self-loathing about Dallas congregate there.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:38 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm comparing Dallas burbs with Austin burbs, I noted the far out suburb of Leander, not Austin proper.

As for Dallas core areas, it is definitely more blue than both its own and Austin's suburbs, Austin core areas, due to it being so youth centered is still on another level though, Austin was ranked the second best city to be a liberal in seconded to Seattle WA for the types of liberals it attracts.

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-...a-conservative

https://austin.com/turns-out-austin-...san-francisco/

Other differences...

Dallas is alot more sports orientated than Austin is. Austin does not have any major league sports teams.
Austin is much more catered toward singles, or families moving into its metro from other locations, but Dallas is a better spot for dating.
Dallas is much more logistically connected by Air, Road, and Rail than Austin will ever be.
Austin is alot more outdoor recreation friendly than Dallas is.

There are some similarities, building architecture, prairie, modern developments and mix-used developments (these are going up all over the nation), ect.. ..but.. overall these two cities are vastly different, neither for positive or negative causes.. ..they are just not the same.
I mean....I go to Round Rock every other month to visit Family and it definitely doesn't feel like a democratic safe haven. It's just as red as some of Dallas most conservative burbs. And don't get me started on Georgetown. I've even seen Blue lives matter and Protect the Blue stickers on businesses in Round Rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City