Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: First city that comes to mind with Texas?
Austin 3 1.41%
Dallas 156 73.24%
El Paso 3 1.41%
Fort Worth 9 4.23%
Houston 26 12.21%
San Antonio 13 6.10%
Other (specify) 3 1.41%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 10:54 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Especially for those not who don’t live in Texas, which city first comes to mind when you think Texas?
Houston, Fort Worth, San Antonio, El Paso, Amarillo; all say Texas to me. But I voted for DALLAS, probably because of the reputation and name of a certain football team gives Dallas a big boost.

In contrast, places like Galveston and Beaumont, while I know they are in Texas but they don't say Texas to me like a Dallas or Houston. It is kind of hard to explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 10:56 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
The reason I say Fort Worth is the most quintessentially "Texas" of the big cities is because it has the most blue collar, homogeneous, conservative culture that people outside the state tend to associate with Texas, at least old stereotypes about Texas. Not to mention, it has the world's largest indoor rodeo, it brands itself as the "city of Cowboys" and its biggest tourist attraction aside from maybe Sundance Square is a Stockyard.

Yes, it's a part of the Metroplex, but native FW residents (including on this forum) make it very well known they're not happy about being associated with Dallas while Dallas residents tend not to pay FW any mind.

San Antonio and El Paso are too integrated with Hispanic culture, Houston has more of a Lousiana / Creole / Bayou vibe, Austin has the weird "Tech Bro" culture going on (similar to Seattle or the Bay Area) and Dallas is more corporate / polished / white-collar.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:59 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
My stereotype of Texas has always been Arlen, Texas.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:09 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I’ve never understood the opinion expressed that Dallas or DFW is more culturally aligned with Oklahoma. It’s barely aligned with Texas and definitely not Oklahoma. Fort Worth is more, but it’s still part of the Metroplex.
Really? I feel like all you have to do is look at a map to see it. Most of DFW is closer to OKC than Austin or any other major city in Texas.

Like it's already been stated, Dallas itself is too large and diverse to have an overwhelming regional feel, but its parallels with Oklahoma are as clear as day to me.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
My stereotype of Texas has always been Arlen, Texas.
Funny thing about Arlen is that Mike Judge based it off his childhood growing up in Garland, a well-known suburb of Dallas, although he implied it was set somewhere near Kileen-Temple.

And just like a typical native Texan, Hank Hill (yes, I know he technically wasn't a native) *HATED* Dallas with a passion.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:24 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Funny thing about Arlen is that Mike Judge based it off his childhood growing up in Garland, a well-known suburb of Dallas, although he implied it was set somewhere near Kileen-Temple.

And just like a typical native Texan, Hank Hill (yes, I know he technically wasn't a native) *HATED* Dallas with a passion.
Yea as I began to learn more about actual Texas I kinda realized that Arlen couldn’t be a suburb of Houston based off foliage. I also realized it couldn’t be a suburb of El Paso or San Antonia due to how green it was. And I just knew it was Austin:

Thanks for the confirmation though. I didn’t know the backstory for King of the Hill.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:25 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
The reason I say Fort Worth is the most quintessentially "Texas" of the big cities is because it has the most blue collar, homogeneous, conservative culture that people outside the state tend to associate with Texas, at least old stereotypes about Texas. Not to mention, it has the world's largest indoor rodeo, it brands itself as the "city of Cowboys" and its biggest tourist attraction aside from maybe Sundance Square is a Stockyard.
So then you mean to say FW is the most stereotypically Texan not the most quintessentially Texan. People may automatically think of cowboy culture when the state comes to mind, but the essence of Texas is much more complex than that.

Quote:
San Antonio and El Paso are too integrated with Hispanic culture, Houston has more of a Lousiana / Creole / Bayou vibe, Austin has the weird "Tech Bro" culture going on (similar to Seattle or the Bay Area) and Dallas is more corporate / polished / white-collar.
San Antonio and El Paso might as well be in different states, so grouping them in the same manner makes no sense to me. 24% of El Paso's population was born in Latin America, compared to only 11% for San Antonio, the lowest of any major city in Texas. Hispanic does not always mean non-American.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:30 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
name of a certain football team gives Dallas a big boost.
Don’t the Texans play for Houston? That’s why I voted for it.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
So then you mean to say FW is the most stereotypically Texan not the most quintessentially Texan. People may automatically think of cowboy culture when the state comes to mind, but the essence of Texas is much more complex than that.
Stereotypes are what people think of when making associations, right or wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
San Antonio and El Paso might as well be in different states, so grouping them in the same manner makes no sense to me. 24% of El Paso's population was born in Latin America, compared to only 11% for San Antonio, the lowest of any major city in Texas. Hispanic does not always mean non-American.
I wasn't speaking in terms of foreign-born, but the fact that a significant majority of their population is of hispanic descent and the cultural influence their presence has there compared to other Texas cities (such as Fort Worth) with a considerably smaller presence.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:52 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea as I began to learn more about actual Texas I kinda realized that Arlen couldn’t be a suburb of Houston based off foliage. I also realized it couldn’t be a suburb of El Paso or San Antonia due to how green it was. And I just knew it was Austin:

Thanks for the confirmation though. I didn’t know the backstory for King of the Hill.
What do you mean by based off of Foliage? I don't really remember much of foliage in King of the Hill.
But Hank to me fits old school Austin stereotypes.

For me Austin/ San Antonio put them in a blender and what you come up with world be typically what I view Texas.

DFW - more in line with parts north and east ( upper South/ great plains)
Houston - lower South/ deep South/ coast gulf

I disagree with the poster who said Beaumont and Galveston seem less Texan than Houston and Dallas. They feel more Texan to me than the bigger cities.

Beaumont, Galveston, Waco, Austin , San Antonio, College Station, are all wildly different but am seem more Texan to me than Houston or Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City