Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: First city that comes to mind with Texas?
Austin 3 1.41%
Dallas 156 73.24%
El Paso 3 1.41%
Fort Worth 9 4.23%
Houston 26 12.21%
San Antonio 13 6.10%
Other (specify) 3 1.41%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 09:13 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
what bad stereotypically Texan things besides Koresh and the biker shootout have happened in Waco???
Maybe not anything else. But those two events certainly brought notoriety to the area in order to move Waco up the list of places that make people think of Waco when they think of Texas. Baylor athletics scandals might be another one.

However, there are positive things that make people think of Waco. Those might include Chip and Joanne, original home of Dr. Pepper, and maybe Baylor as a University...and a few others.

Ironically, if I had to pick a place that is most representative of "traditional" Texas...Waco might be the place I'd pick.

Last edited by eddie gein; 10-18-2020 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 09:20 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
Corpus Christi..... It was from some movie I saw when I was real young. Always been what I think of when TX comes to my mind.

Old 10-18-2020, 09:30 AM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I don't feel like Austin is that much different from Dallas these days. Austin is becoming more modern and upscale and Dallas has increasingly become more eclectic and eccentric.
Austin is much different than Dallas. It is alot more live-let-live yuppy puppy hippie hipster youth orientated where as Dallas is more settle down and down to earth dual income family orientated and caters toward a more mature crowd. Because Austin is more youth orientated it also affects both the political polarity of which Austin tends to skew, as well as attracts strongly blue, there are Biden and BLM signs all over my neighborhood here in the further out suburbs of Leander, comparatively I was in Farmers Branch, The Colony and Frisco and saw far fewer Biden signs but many more Trump signs.. ..I know this alone isn't enough to be considered as evidence but just eyeballing here, Austin definitely feels more liberal, not to say Dallas isn't strongly blue, it definitely is esp in the core areas, but I still feel Austin is on another level here.

Austin is also a much stronger hot bed for innovation and STEM startups. Dallas is a more well rounded metro with more economic opportunities where as Austin is centered upon Tech and Government. If one were to magically drop Austin in the middle of California as a suburb of San Francisco, most of its inhabitants would probably not realize anything changed.

Dallas is a more cosmopolitan metro by light years (although the segregation / income equality between S.Dallas and N.Dallas is still a big issue IMO) while Austin tends to cater only toward certain ethnicities. I personally do not feel Austin is 'purposefully' doing this in this modern era, but mainly that the fields (mainly tech and govt) are a stronghold in Austin and only attract certain ethnicities where as Dallas has high earner in both Blue Collar and White Collar fields.

Then there is the politics in infrastructure, in the state that is voted for having the most impressive road infrastructure in the nation, Austin has almost none of it. All of that went to Houston and Dallas, because for quite long periods of time Austin was both, anti-growth and anti-road. They cater far more toward nature, trees, bike lanes, and attempting to push transit on its inhabitants, only upgrading roads when everything boils over and they have no choice. Dallas is far more apt in both designing roads and transit.

Austin to me is a spitting image of what happens when you drop an innovation hotbed in California smack in the middle of Texas.. ..and call it the state capital.

Dallas to me.. ..IS.. Texas.

I have no quarrels against either city btw... I love both of them ...its just... Austin doesnt really feel Texan at all to me. It feels like a city that was trying to find its way back to the Pacific region and got lost in the middle of Texas

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 10-18-2020 at 09:38 AM..

Old 10-18-2020, 09:36 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Dallas could easily be in Oklahoma or even Kansas, it's a Great Plains city with some southern influence thrown in. Yet, I suppose the TV show and the Dallas Cowboys are so iconic that Dallas is the first city that comes to mind when most people think of Texas.

I'd still argue in favor of San Antonio, at least as the "heart" of Texas because of the history (Alamo) and the landscape looks a little more stereotypically Texan.
Dallas is technically on the edge of the coastal plains s region of Texas. Fort Worth is when you transition to the North Central plains region of the state. You have to go quite a bit West before you are in the Great Plains. I’ve seen a few posts saying Dallas is a Great Plains city and it’s actually not.

Old 10-18-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Austin is much different than Dallas. It is alot more live-let-live yuppy puppy hippie hipster youth orientated where as Dallas is more settle down and down to earth dual income family orientated and caters toward a more mature crowd. Because Austin is more youth orientated it also affects both the political polarity of which Austin tends to skew, as well as attracts strongly blue, there are Biden and BLM signs all over my neighborhood here in the further out suburbs of Leander, comparatively I was in Farmers Branch, The Colony and Frisco and saw far fewer Biden signs but many more Trump signs.. ..I know this alone isn't enough to be considered as evidence but just eyeballing here, Austin definitely feels more liberal, not to say Dallas isn't strongly blue, it definitely is esp in the core areas, but I still feel Austin is on another level here.

Austin is also a much stronger hot bed for innovation and STEM startups. Dallas is a more well rounded metro with more economic opportunities where as Austin is centered upon Tech and Government. If one were to magically drop Austin in the middle of California as a suburb of San Francisco, most of its inhabitants would probably not realize anything changed.

Dallas is a more cosmopolitan metro by light years (although the segregation / income equality between S.Dallas and N.Dallas is still a big issue IMO) while Austin tends to cater only toward certain ethnicities. I personally do not feel Austin is 'purposefully' doing this in this modern era, but mainly that the fields (mainly tech and govt) are a stronghold in Austin and only attract certain ethnicities where as Dallas has high earner in both Blue Collar and White Collar fields.

Then there is the politics in infrastructure, in the state that is voted for having the most impressive road infrastructure in the nation, Austin has almost none of it. All of that went to Houston and Dallas, because for quite long periods of time Austin was both, anti-growth and anti-road. They cater far more toward nature, trees, bike lanes, and attempting to push transit on its inhabitants, only upgrading roads when everything boils over and they have no choice. Dallas is far more apt in both designing roads and transit.

Austin to me is a spitting image of what happens when you drop an innovation hotbed in California smack in the middle of Texas.. ..and call it the state capital.

I have no quarrels against either city btw... I love both of them ...its just... Austin doesnt really feel Texan at all to me. It feels like a city that was trying to find its way back to the Pacific region and got lost in the middle of Texas
Your description of Dallas is our burbs and you’re comparing that to the central city of Austin. Central Dallas hoods are nothing like you described.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:24 AM

1,803 posts, read 934,104 times
Quote:
Dallas is technically on the edge of the coastal plains s region of Texas. Fort Worth is when you transition to the North Central plains region of the state. You have to go quite a bit West before you are in the Great Plains. I’ve seen a few posts saying Dallas is a Great Plains city and it’s actually not.
I got a kick out of this map. It does not have the names of the cities on it. It has the cities as diagonally stripped circles on the map there so you clearly know where the 4 main cities are. Dallas/Ft Worth is shown with a bridge between them. What is funny is both the map by region vegetation and such are in a region with Prairie in its name.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click

It places Ft Worth in a region called; Grand Prairie
It places Dallas in a region they call; Blackland Prairie
Inbetween is a region the map calls; Post Oak Belt
Austin and San Antonio on the borders of 2 - 3 on map
Houston North Half is placed into ; Piney Woods
Houston South Half is placed into; Coastal Plain

Found it interesting for these cities as all on borders of kinda regions of this unique map.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:35 AM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Quote:
Your description of Dallas is our burbs and you’re comparing that to the central city of Austin. Central Dallas hoods are nothing like you described.
I'm comparing Dallas burbs with Austin burbs, I noted the far out suburb of Leander, not Austin proper.

As for Dallas core areas, it is definitely more blue than both its own and Austin's suburbs, Austin core areas, due to it being so youth centered is still on another level though, Austin was ranked the second best city to be a liberal in seconded to Seattle WA for the types of liberals it attracts.

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-...a-conservative

https://austin.com/turns-out-austin-...san-francisco/

Other differences...

Dallas is alot more sports orientated than Austin is. Austin does not have any major league sports teams.
Austin is much more catered toward singles, or families moving into its metro from other locations, but Dallas is a better spot for dating.
Dallas is much more logistically connected by Air, Road, and Rail than Austin will ever be.
Austin is alot more outdoor recreation friendly than Dallas is.

There are some similarities, building architecture, prairie, modern developments and mix-used developments (these are going up all over the nation), ect.. ..but.. overall these two cities are vastly different, neither for positive or negative causes.. ..they are just not the same.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 10-18-2020 at 11:09 AM..

Old 10-18-2020, 10:45 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Dallas is certainly in the convergence of several ecoregions. However, there are huge swaths of Dallas that are not discernable from a landscape and weather aspects from parts of OKC or Wichita. If fact OKC and Dallas are interesting in that they both straddle a wooded area and a more plains like area. And just like OKC in the prairie area...the trees bend to the north.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:46 AM

9,861 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:

Yeah I agree. I mean it’s common sense really. Ausrin is the most trendy city in Texas but it’s the least most associated with Texas of the 3. No need to analyze

Old 10-18-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I'm comparing Dallas burbs with Austin burbs, I noted the far out suburb of Leander, not Austin proper.
And our suburban population is huge compared to Austin so you’ll have a lot more variety in people and cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City