Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: First city that comes to mind with Texas?
Austin 3 1.41%
Dallas 156 73.24%
El Paso 3 1.41%
Fort Worth 9 4.23%
Houston 26 12.21%
San Antonio 13 6.10%
Other (specify) 3 1.41%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 09:21 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
If people are going for sports teams southland the teams that actually have Texas in the name be the ones that remind you of Texas?

Dallas Cowboys remind me of...well Dallas.
The Texas Rangers on the other hand...
The Texas Rangers make me think of Chuck Norris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 09:51 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Vegas is very integrated and diverse as well.

This link is using 10 year old data but you can see Western metros tend to be integrated, since newer neighborhoods are inherently less racist by not having racial housing restrictions ever being imposed. https://demographics.coopercenter.org/racial-dot-map
Is it mainly integration between Hispanic and black?
Granted this is anecdotal but I've seen videos from high schools in Vegas proper and there were no white kids.

But I don't think being diverse even at a neighborhood level necessarily translates to being integrated.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:03 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Functionally? no not really. The numbers are the numbers. Culturally and especially for a visitor/transplant? Absolutely yes.

Hard to gauge what "functionally" means here
Some would call it integration, but basically social mixing, visibility in public places, etc. Theoretically a city could contain one particular ethnic group that has essentially walled itself off, is hostile to outsiders, and has people who rarely leave their neighborhood. Sure they're there and "count" but how would such insularity actually contribute to the life of the city.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:03 AM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Is it mainly integration between Hispanic and black?
Granted this is anecdotal but I've seen videos from high schools in Vegas proper and there were no white kids.

But I don't think being diverse even at a neighborhood level necessarily translates to being integrated.
Definitely not. Atleast I can speak from experience, even the neighborhoods that are black and Hispanic have Hispanic sections etc. There’s not only pure Hispanic neighborhoods, you’ll see some Hispanic neighborhoods that have Guatemalan dominant areas, Honduran etc.

I know Alief is a little more integrated with blacks and Hispanics but can’t speak for everywhere.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Houston has segregated parts but where it shines is. Houston has the most integrated rural areas in the U.S, it’s the cross-section of the Southwest and South so lots of rural blacks and Hispanics, and close to the coast a smattering of rural Asians as well. Houston is only 37% white one of the lowest in America, nearly all of its suburbs are integrated. The whitest large one being Friendswood, Texas at 73% White followed by 72% White, The Woodlands and 72% White, Kingwood. Take in mind all the above cities/hoods are considered very white areas.

Even the place Paragueno called very white, like River Oaks is in a zip code that’s 70% white. Houston has no areas really that is even 80% white anymore.

Where Houston is segregated it has a relatively high black Hispanic integration. So many of the black areas are heavily Hispanic and vice versa albeit to a lesser extent. Another thing that gives Houston the pretense of low segregation is that large swathes of the city are generally not monoracial. The way someone can say South Dallas is Black and far East Austin is Black, and East of I-35 is mostly Latino and west of Mopac is on the verge of 90% white (It actually is). You can’t do that with Houston. All the suburbs form an integrated circle and even South Houston, which people stereotype as Black, SE Houston is very Hispanic and SW Houston is extremely integrated. So in reality your talking about 3-4 neighborhoods that border each other with high black populations.

Where Houston will eventually lose point is as it gets more Hispanic, some areas like East, SE and North Houston could allow the Eastern half of the city to become ethnically Hispanic as the only thing keeping these 3 majority Hispanic areas is the high amounts of diversity in the East Houston suburbs (Galena, Northshore, Channelview, Jacinto) and NE Houston being a black area that seems to be transitioning into a Hispanic one.

SE Houston is by far the most monoracial part of the city and even then theirs some Asian Apartments in the mix keeping things interesting and a high-ish Black population around Hobby, followed by miles of mostly diverse suburbs till Galveston.

Houston is at least two or three steps up in tents of diversity and integration from Austin.
Although I wish you were right, I think are missing some important things. I think you’re exaggerating integrated black and Hispanic communities are here. Just because a zip code or super neighborhood on paper has a large population of both doesn’t make it integrated. You’ll see many hoods here that

For example Gulffon has a growing African American population but in most of it, you wouldn’t even notice they’re there. Most of Gulffon’s black population is concentrated on the south side that doesn’t even mirror the rest of the neighborhood.

I know South Park had a reverse situation a while back, but things can change rather quick so maybe South Park’s Latino and black community are more integrated now, but I’d have to see it to believe it. When I was growing up, they were generally restricted to certain sections.

Additionally, as you mentioned zip code 77027 (I think it’s this one you were talking abour) is “only” 72% white, but most non whites live directly on or right off Westheimer. Communities in deeper river oaks are as white as you’ll see. Zip Code 77069 is “less white” on paper, but it covers much of the 4th Ward.

In the end, yes sure Houston is a notch or two above Austin and similar cities. But again, this isn’t saying much and it speaks more on America’s level of segregation.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:19 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Although I wish you were right, I think are missing some important things. I think you’re exaggerating integrated black and Hispanic communities are here. Just because a zip code or super neighborhood on paper has a large population of both doesn’t make it integrated. You’ll see many hoods here that

For example Gulffon has a growing African American population but in most of it, you wouldn’t even notice they’re there. Most of Gulffon’s black population is concentrated on the south side that doesn’t even mirror the rest of the neighborhood.

I know South Park had a reverse situation a while back, but things can change rather quick so maybe South Park’s Latino and black community are more integrated now, but I’d have to see it to believe it. When I was growing up, they were generally restricted to certain sections.

Additionally, as you mentioned zip code 77027 (I think it’s this one you were talking abour) is “only” 72% white, but most non whites live directly on or right off Westheimer. Communities in deeper river oaks are as white as you’ll see. Zip Code 77069 is “less white” on paper, but it covers much of the 4th Ward.

In the end, yes sure Houston is a notch or two above Austin and similar cities. But again, this isn’t saying much and it speaks more on America’s level of segregation.
Im just curious if you have lived in other states specifically in the Midwest or Northeast? Houston is extremely integrated compared to any of them. Even LA is noticeably more segregated than Houston. Las Vegas is the only city I know of that could be considered more integrated residentially.

So while youre not wrong that Houston can be segregated, I feel there is some context missing.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Im just curious if you have lived in other states specifically in the Midwest or Northeast? Houston is extremely integrated compared to any of them. Even LA is noticeably more segregated than Houston. Las Vegas is the only city I know of that could be considered more integrated residentially.

So while youre not wrong that Houston can be segregated, I feel there is some context missing.
Read the last sentence. Houston being integrated by American standards speaks more on how segregated America is because Houston is still very segregated.

To answer your question, other places I’ve lived in USA or have had extensive stays outside of Texas are Miami, Louisiana, Chicago and Philly. Of these, Miami and Philly definitely felt more segregated, while Chicago I surprisingly didn’t find that segregated at all where I stayed. Filipinos whites blacks and Hispanics in my area at the time. That meighborhood in Chicago is a thousand times more integrated than many Hispanic neighborhoods in Houston. This is relative because I’m basing off of experience. There’s integrated and segregated neighborhoods in both. It doesn’t matter what the overall city has over another of where you lived it was different.

Now on the flip side, have you visited some of the areas particularly in the West side of the city? Not sure if you’ve visited some of these residential areas very extensively or if you’re reading zip code data. The southwest side of Houston is extremely diverse but it’s very segregated. Some areas you wouldn’t be able to communicate if you don’t speak spanish. On the other hand, Katy Tx is just about the most integrated place in America I’ve ever visited.

As for what’s going to make America less segregated in the future is the increasing diversity in our public schools.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 10-20-2020 at 08:48 AM..

Old 10-20-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:

The Rice-Kinder institute actually did a study on this a few weeks back and places Houston towards the middle lower of the pact. And has Detroit as the most integrated city in the nation. Which seems fair to me.

https://kinder.rice.edu/urbanedge/20...regated-cities

Old 10-20-2020, 08:48 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The Rice-Kinder institute actually did a study on this a few weeks back and places Houston towards the middle lower of the pact. And has Detroit as the most integrated city in the nation. Which seems fair to me.

https://kinder.rice.edu/urbanedge/20...regated-cities
Youre reading it backwards. Detroit is the most segregated city in the US.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Youre reading it backwards. Detroit is the most segregated city in the US.
Yes, just saw that. The reason the article is confusing is because it’s only on white segregation. It isn’t comparing black and Hispanic segregation, which I think would make it look very different if applied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City