Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: First city that comes to mind with Texas?
Austin 3 1.41%
Dallas 156 73.24%
El Paso 3 1.41%
Fort Worth 9 4.23%
Houston 26 12.21%
San Antonio 13 6.10%
Other (specify) 3 1.41%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 11:53 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea as I began to learn more about actual Texas I kinda realized that Arlen couldn’t be a suburb of Houston based off foliage. I also realized it couldn’t be a suburb of El Paso or San Antonia due to how green it was. And I just knew it was Austin:

Thanks for the confirmation though. I didn’t know the backstory for King of the Hill.
I always used to think Arlen was based off Arlington (because of the name) before learning the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 11:57 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Stereotypes are what people think of when making associations, right or wrong.
Which is why I said that I understand why DFW comes to mind first for a lot of people. That's not the same thing as being quintessentially Texan though.

Quote:
I wasn't speaking in terms of foreign-born, but the fact that a significant majority of their population is of hispanic descent and the cultural influence their presence has there compared to other Texas cities (such as Fort Worth) with a considerably smaller presence.
That's my point. San Antonio is not apparently more culturally Hispanic than any other city in the Triangle. People see that it's 60% Hispanic and they automatically envision a place where you constantly hear conversations in Spanish and there's Latin music blaring from everyone's car. Not even close.

The Spanish history and architecture are there for sure, but you could say the same about New Orleans.

Old 10-17-2020, 12:03 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,992,594 times
For me, Dallas/FortWorth is what I think of when I think of Texas. Austin feels like it’s own bubble that doesn’t really feel or belong in Texas.

Old 10-17-2020, 12:04 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Which is why I said that I understand why DFW comes to mind first for a lot of people. That's not the same thing as being quintessentially Texan though.
I think a poster on the first page put it best:

"Fort Worth with Sundance Square and the Stockyards are quintessentially Texan in an old school sorta way. Dallas is symbolic of modern Texas prosperity and growth."

Quote:
The Spanish history and architecture are there for sure, but you could say the same about New Orleans.
That comparison to NOLA makes no sense.

New Orleans has much more of a French influence, and whatever Spanish influence exists there isn't nearly as apparent as what you find in San Antonio.

Old 10-17-2020, 12:11 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,992,594 times
FWIW Texas doesn’t really have one specific be all fit all feel as it has regions ranging from rolling prairie, forested hills, sweeping pines, bayou and swamp, desert and mountains, canyons.

El-Paso reminds me of a western city border town.
Dallas / FortWorth remind me of a modern era city
Houston reminds me of a super massive New Orleans merged with Chicago minus its transit.
Austin reminds me of a hipster villa that was dislocated from the Pacific and found itself here.
San Antonio reminds me of a traditional mid-sized metro with Spanish culture.

Old 10-17-2020, 12:21 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
Quote:
Really? I feel like all you have to do is look at a map to see it. Most of DFW is closer to OKC than Austin or any other major city in Texas.

Like it's already been stated, Dallas itself is too large and diverse to have an overwhelming regional feel, but its parallels with Oklahoma are as clear as day to me.
Perhaps geographically, but not culturally.

Old 10-17-2020, 12:29 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
For me, Dallas/FortWorth is what I think of when I think of Texas. Austin feels like it’s own bubble that doesn’t really feel or belong in Texas.
I don't feel like Austin is that much different from Dallas these days. Austin is becoming more modern and upscale and Dallas has increasingly become more eclectic and eccentric.

Old 10-17-2020, 12:58 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times
Quote:

That's my point. San Antonio is not apparently more culturally Hispanic than any other city in the Triangle. People see that it's 60% Hispanic and they automatically envision a place where you constantly hear conversations in Spanish and there's Latin music blaring from everyone's car. Not even close.

I don't know why so many people on here think that. Houston and Dallas actually have a higher percentage of foreign born Hispanics if I'm not mistaken.

Random video of young people from San Antonio that I found, clearly it's not an extension of Mexico. Speaking English and blasting rap music just like 20 somethings from anywhere else in the US would.

https://youtu.be/Shi18gUmCdQ?t=224

That's just one video but there are a lot like that.

Old 10-17-2020, 01:05 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I don't feel like Austin is that much different from Dallas these days. Austin is becoming more modern and upscale and Dallas has increasingly become more eclectic and eccentric.
I've only been to Austin and its suburbs so far. From what I know about Dallas proper, it actually seems like what I experienced in Austin, at least in the cores. Upscale, hipstery vibes + a very large Hispanic population. Though, Dallas has a much larger black population.

Ironically, the Austin suburbs actually felt more like "stereotypical Texas" to me while Austin had more of a pan-American hipster vibe. Though, the Austin natives I talked to did have Southern accents which I was kind of surprised by since many on here act like Austin doesn't count as the South.

Old 10-17-2020, 01:20 PM

1,168 posts, read 776,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I think a poster on the first page put it best:

"Fort Worth with Sundance Square and the Stockyards are stereotypically Texan in an old school sorta way. Dallas is symbolic of modern Texas prosperity and growth."
Fixed it for you/them.

The Fort Worth Stockyards are just the Texan version of the one in OKC. Not specific to TX at all.

Quote:
That comparison to NOLA makes no sense.

New Orleans has much more of a French influence, and whatever Spanish influence exists there isn't nearly as apparent as what you find in San Antonio.
It makes perfect sense.

I was afraid to ask, but could you specify just what about San Antonio culture is so much more Spanish than the rest of the Texas cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City