Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the top northeastern U.S. suburb?
Westchester County (Bronxville, Scarsdale, Rye, Larchmont) 17 12.78%
Main Line (Gladwyne, Villanova, Merion Station, Bryn Mawr, Haverford) 22 16.54%
Western Boston Suburbs (Newton, Wellesley, Dover, Weston) 24 18.05%
DC's MD Suburbs (Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Potomac) 11 8.27%
DC's VA Suburbs (McLean, Great Falls, Falls Church, Tyson's) 10 7.52%
North Shore, Long Island (Great Neck, Oyster Bay, Old Westbury) 10 7.52%
Gold Coast, CT (Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan) 39 29.32%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 05:43 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Dudes were getting stomped for their Jordans in DMV, since the 90's early 2ks. None of these guys wanted any parts of that era. Talking about nobody's tough. Lol.
People only ever got jumped for Jordan’s in DC in 2001... Got it lmao

Please let’s stop the lunacy. You all know exactly what the perception is. This would be like me saying Boston doesn’t have a racist image or Philly doesn’t have a tough guy image. DC has a polished and professional image that grounded in some tangible aspects of reality.

Again see your median income/childhood poverty/ and physical quality of your public schools..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I'm with you here, and I'm also done with the extended rhetoric that has taken place in the thread veering it off topic. I feel mostly the same way regarding suburban comparisons here. I think after DC's between the suburbs in comparison here I'd prefer Boston's over Philly or NYC's.
Yea I’d take Boston’s over Phillys but north Jersey suburbs are better than Boston’s for me. The energy and convenience is electric and it’s beautiful and has a very well connected street network. The physical and ethnic diversity is unmatched by its peers.

Old 12-04-2020, 05:46 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
People only ever got jumped for Jordan’s in DC in 2001... Got it lmao

Please let’s stop the lunacy. You all know exactly what the perception is. This would be like me saying Boston doesn’t have a racist image or Philly doesn’t have a tough guy image. DC has a polished and professional image that grounded in some tangible aspects of reality.

Again see your median income/childhood poverty/ and physical quality of your public schools..
No. You said "gunplay/violence" doesn't count, nor prove a cities toughness. All I'm saying that it was a fairly regular occurrence to hear about people getting robbed or beat up without "gunplay" in DC, decades ago. So idk where you're getting this point of DC doesn't have tough people, which is what you said.

Old 12-04-2020, 05:48 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Yea I’d take Boston’s over Phillys but north Jersey suburbs are better than Boston’s for me. The energy and convenience is electric and it’s beautiful and has a very well connected street network. The physical and ethnic diversity is unmatched by its peers.
Boston's are way better to look at though, especially throughout the entire CSA. I agree with the NNJ suburbs and love their Hispanic/Latino diversity more than any burbs in the East.

Let me follow up by saying though Philly's Main Line is among the most impressive I've been to in this thread being compared. I've not been to the Gold Coast area honestly so won't compare.

Old 12-04-2020, 05:50 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
You realize I have friend who went to Howard, I was even admitted into Howard. One of my good friends lived three blocks from Howard? I also know many many black people born in DC. As well as those who’ve moved to Boston from DC. One of whom is a cultural curator for an ar yes immersion program in Roxbury. One is a black woman who teaches at a private school in Boston. My gun teacher who went on to be my tack coach colleague. I also lived 1 mile outside of DC. I taught in DC. I volunteered in DC. I have thousands of Uber ride all over DC deeeeep into SE and NE. No I wouldn’t characterize it as a tough city-no. I have friend from Boston in DC-none of us think it’s tough. Maybe it was and didn’t get the rep it “deserved” but now? No. Just bougie, woke, or country.

You’re not talking to a DC newbie. Movies are a reflection of popular perception and are based in reality. Haven’t seen one “tough guy” movie or show set in DC ever. Again-you al can’t be number one in everything all the time lol. It’s okay.
Movies aren't based in any reality. Most are fiction and dramatizations. You have lost all credibility. Without any gangs or a mafia presence, DC has always had a much higher crime rate (assaults, robberies, shootings, murder) than every other city with the exceptions of New Orleans and Baltimore during specific times. I gave you way too much credit regarding your knowledge of the city. Black people are DC's ethnic group. What the Italians are/were to NYC and the Irish are to Boston, black people in DC filled that role with extreme prejudice. Any outsiders that ever came to DC to set up shop got sent back to where ever they came from in a coffin. If you went to any HBCU in the 90's on the east coast, there was a NYC/DC rivalry. There are countless You Tube videos from heavy weights in the game that verify everything i stated.

Old 12-04-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
No. You said "gunplay/violence" doesn't count, nor prove a cities toughness. All I'm saying that it was a fairly regular occurrence to hear about people getting robbed or beat up without "gunplay" in DC, decades ago. So idk where you're getting this point of DC doesn't have tough people, which is what you said.
It just doesn’t have that image or give off tough vibes really. Obviously crime is a real issue in DC. There are tough people everywhere. But it’s disingenuous to say DC has the same public perception or even value toughness/frugality/struggle the way NYC Boston let Phily do. Where people take it as a point of pride how much misery and hassle they can handle. Where traversing shoddy infrastructure, trekking though snow and inhabiting poor quality housing is seen as character bonuses.

I’m not saying DC Folk are cupcakes just that we think do DC as soul/black festivities and white yuppies/nerdy/professional types. obviously the black populace in DC has more representation, money, and business clout than just about anywhere else-doesn’t really mesh well with the hardscrabble/toughness we’re talking about.

Old 12-04-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You have lost all credibility. Without any gangs or a mafia presence, DC has always had a much higher crime rate (assaults, robberies, shootings, murder) than every other city with the exceptions of New Orleans and Baltimore during specific times. I gave you way too much credit regarding your knowledge of the city. Black people are DC's ethnic group. What the Italians are/were to NYC and the Irish are to Boston, black people in DC filled that role with extreme prejudice. Any outsiders that ever came to DC to set up shop got sent back to where ever they came from in a coffin.

If you went to any HBCU in the 90's on the east coast, there was a NYC/DC rivalry. There are countless You Tube videos from heavy weights in the game that verify everything i stated.
..,Okay but very few people went to an HBCU, in the 90s, on the east coast. You’re talking maybe 2% of all people if that.

Back then maybe 30% of black people went to HBCUS, HBCUS on the east COAST? Okay we’re down to maybe 20% of black people attending college in the 90s-maybe? Let’s say 1/3rd of black people even attended colleges.

So you’re talking about 10% of black 20 somethings in the 1990s...black people are 12% of the population. Let’s say 2% of the US is black people in their 20s..your talking .2% per year for ten years (generous) that’s 2%. Of all people at the absolute best. And half of them were touting NYC.

Black people are Protestant and basically a native “ American” ethnic group along with Protestant whites and native Americans. Not the same as Irish Italian or Jewish which is not comparable to Puerto Ricans, Jamaicans or something but.

The entirety of my adult life DC has been the bougie black girl capital or the place where all the rich educated black people hang. That image and the acid panting white image far far outweighs any other perception at this point. And I assume it will be that way at least for another generation or two. Talking to black people in DC is like talking to your boss or your parents lol. Idk that’s just how it honestly feels sometimes. Kinda stressful and socially competitive-part of why I left.

Fwiw I think Boston is portrayed as tougher than it really is by many.

Old 12-04-2020, 06:53 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
It just doesn’t have that image or give off tough vibes really. Obviously crime is a real issue in DC. There are tough people everywhere. But it’s disingenuous to say DC has the same public perception or even value toughness/frugality/struggle the way NYC Boston let Phily do. Where people take it as a point of pride how much misery and hassle they can handle. Where traversing shoddy infrastructure, trekking though snow and inhabiting poor quality housing is seen as character bonuses.

I’m not saying DC Folk are cupcakes just that we think do DC as soul/black festivities and white yuppies/nerdy/professional types. obviously the black populace in DC has more representation, money, and business clout than just about anywhere else-doesn’t really mesh well with the hardscrabble/toughness we’re talking about.
So northeastern cities are tougher ( for all of the reasons that you've listed), while are at the same time more prestigious? Are they both at the same time, one thing at one point in time and another thing in another point in time? Also, the points that you've listed for why a city is tough, are the same exact reason for why cities today are undesirable. Is it dependent on race/ethnicity? For example, if black people grew up in the same areas that you said made northeastern cities seem "tough," then does that make places like Detroit, Baltimore, New Orleans, Gary, the toughest places of all? Does being tough only apply to cities with large white Irish/Italian populations?

Old 12-04-2020, 07:07 PM

14,019 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
These are all fine places to live, but we're proving each others point. Those don't equate to Rosslyn, Ballston, SS, DT Bethesda as a CBD or DT or a mini city/suburb. Since the thread from months ago, I gave you all the fact that edge of many of Boston's suburbs have is older buildings and tighter knit streets. With even a better sense of place, and home like feeling, but they don't have the office space, or day time population that you'll find in those DMV comparisons. What are you arguing at this point? I said Cambridge equates btw.
Unless you have a very very narrow definition of what and equivalent is you’re wrong. Like Malden, Lynn, Salem, Waltham, Lynn, Quincy or if you’re counting some places like Tyson’s corner you’d have to include proper cities like Lowell or Framingham. are more urban outside like a 6 block area that is DT Silver Springs but people don’t live on three blocks on one street they live/work etc in a town.

Last edited by btownboss4; 12-04-2020 at 07:19 PM..

Old 12-04-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
So northeastern cities are tougher ( for all of the reasons that you've listed), while are at the same time more prestigious? Are they both at the same time, one thing at one point in time and another thing in another point in time? Also, the points that you've listed for why a city is tough, are the same exact reason for why cities today are undesirable. Is it dependent on race/ethnicity? For example, if black people grew up in the same areas that you said made northeastern cities seem "tough," then does that make places like Detroit, Baltimore, New Orleans, Gary, the toughest places of all? Does being tough only apply to cities with large white Irish/Italian populations?
The suburbs are more prestigious because societal and cold wise they have always served to stand in stark contrast to their urban cores. They’ve always been more spacious, with stone walls and the like in an attempt to distinguish themselves. The suburbs as we know them began to develop in the 1910s and 1920s nearby the city but in what wa then “country” hence places like Beaver Country Day School in Chestnut Hill. That area now is fairly urban but still extremely prestigious. Brookline directly borders what was (until recently) black/tough Jamaica Plain/Mission Hill.

It’s like the wealthy towns that are very close to Newark. Or Fairfield touching Bridgeport.

This is a negative. As MA CT NY NJ are well known to be some of the most inequitable states in the country with the most noticeable/drastic municipal boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City