Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the top northeastern U.S. suburb?
Westchester County (Bronxville, Scarsdale, Rye, Larchmont) 17 12.78%
Main Line (Gladwyne, Villanova, Merion Station, Bryn Mawr, Haverford) 22 16.54%
Western Boston Suburbs (Newton, Wellesley, Dover, Weston) 24 18.05%
DC's MD Suburbs (Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Potomac) 11 8.27%
DC's VA Suburbs (McLean, Great Falls, Falls Church, Tyson's) 10 7.52%
North Shore, Long Island (Great Neck, Oyster Bay, Old Westbury) 10 7.52%
Gold Coast, CT (Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan) 39 29.32%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 09:38 AM

82 posts, read 39,935 times

Advertisements

I understand that the term is used. It's just that the term is used incorrectly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 10:16 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatpants View Post
I understand that the term is used. It's just that the term is used incorrectly.

How is it used "incorrectly" if local folk use it?

No law prevents the existence of more than one Gold Coast. Except that it's not suburban, I could toss Chicago's into this discussion to further underscore this.

Old 02-07-2021, 10:16 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Why is NNJ Omitted?

Old 02-07-2021, 10:18 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Why is NNJ Omitted?
Very good question! Why hasn't anyone asked this until now?

Old 02-07-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
DC is not thought of as a “tough city.†NYC, Philly, Chicago, Boston, and even places like Providence are known as being “tough.†A show like “Chicago PDâ€, “Law and Order,†and shows like this would be set in cities like these. DC is not in this group. Mostly because it’s a white collar city. The stereotypical DC personality is a nerdy government worker. People in DC don’t have a “style†like people from NYC, Philly, or Boston. They seem more passive and slower-pace than the bravado, faster-paced, and more confident attitudes displayed by people from NYC, Philly and Boston. It’s another reason that makes DC seem so different from the Northeast.

I sort of agree but I think you're all arguing past each other here.

DC was never really a "tough" city a la Philadelphia or Boston -- it is (or was, more and more) seen as a black city. That doesn't mean it isn't "tough" or dangerous, we're just talking about the historical cultural reputation here. It's tough to articulate the difference (it probably has a lot to do with the presence of white ethnics and the city's history and historical importance) but I think the difference exists.

Old 02-07-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
How is it used "incorrectly" if local folk use it?

No law prevents the existence of more than one Gold Coast. Except that it's not suburban, I could toss Chicago's into this discussion to further underscore this.
Because to anyone in New York City, the "Gold Coast" has always been on Long Island. The historical usage of the term matters. And Chicago's Gold Coast is an actual named neighborhood, so it's not really the same thing.

(But to be honest I really just wanted to nitpick in my initial response to this thread. I don't really care too much lol.)

Old 02-07-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Very good question! Why hasn't anyone asked this until now?
I sense sarcasm, I only went back about 3-4 pages.

Old 02-07-2021, 10:55 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Definitely the Gold Coast of CT. Greenwich takes the cake. For such a large town by land area (about 60 sq mi) to have 60,000 residents and the median home value of $1.7 million is just insane. Literally every aspect of that town is prestigious.

Old 02-07-2021, 10:56 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I sense sarcasm, I only went back about 3-4 pages.
Its been brought up several times. I would place it at #3 behind Gold Coast CT and the Main Line.

I thought this thread ended on a relatively good note, but a new user comes in, I hope it doesn't derail the thread...

Old 02-07-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Its been brought up several times. I would place it at #3 behind Gold Coast CT and the Main Line.

I thought this thread ended on a relatively good note, but a new user comes in, I hope it doesn't derail the thread...
Ehh Im not sure id put NNJ above the MetroWest in Boston. But other than that, I agree. Like Im in NNJ now and as great as Summitt, Far Hills, Short Hills, Montclair, Livingston are, it definitely pales in comparison to Weston, Wellesley, Newton, Brookline, Dover, Sherborne, etc.

But Main Line im unfamiliar with. It kind of reminds me of the North Shore of MA, and a little bit like Westchester too. Its very British looking.

But yeah I would add a few areas to this poll:
-Northern NJ (Livingston, Short Hills, Far Hills, Montclaire)
-North Shore MA (Marblehead, Ipswich, Beverly, Manchester-by-the-Sea, etc)
-Hartford Area (Farmington, West Hartford, Avon, Canton, etc)
-Baltimore's MD Suburbs (All of them)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City