Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the top northeastern U.S. suburb?
Westchester County (Bronxville, Scarsdale, Rye, Larchmont) 17 12.69%
Main Line (Gladwyne, Villanova, Merion Station, Bryn Mawr, Haverford) 22 16.42%
Western Boston Suburbs (Newton, Wellesley, Dover, Weston) 25 18.66%
DC's MD Suburbs (Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Potomac) 11 8.21%
DC's VA Suburbs (McLean, Great Falls, Falls Church, Tyson's) 10 7.46%
North Shore, Long Island (Great Neck, Oyster Bay, Old Westbury) 10 7.46%
Gold Coast, CT (Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan) 39 29.10%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 04:03 PM

23 posts, read 25,625 times

Advertisements

I did not know including DC in the poll would cause so much controversy. Despite being geographically southern, D.C., in my opinion, was culturally northeastern, being in the Acela Corridor and all, in both its literal meaning and as part of the political and cultural metonym.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 04:12 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigolights View Post
I did not know including DC in the poll would cause so much controversy. Despite being geographically southern, D.C., in my opinion, was culturally northeastern, being in the Acela Corridor and all, in both its literal meaning and as part of the political and cultural metonym.
Thats how most people feel... DC is rarely included in Southern polls on here. Theres just a few stragglers, thats all.

Old 12-05-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'm always interested in other people's perspective. I want to know how someone can logically, and confidently call a city (DC) that is south of another southern city (Baltimore) a northern city. Every reason that you gave for why DC is not southern proves that the south has those "qualities." It's paradoxical and ironic. Why are you Begging and Pleading for northern acceptance?
And as always, you are the outlier in thinking that DC is a culturally southern city.

You've been at this for years so your curiosity is neverending I guess.

And I also guess you're once again very interested in DC again after stating you could care less about the place.

Old 12-05-2020, 04:30 PM

1,802 posts, read 1,951,123 times
And even in the pre-Civil Rights era, Baltimore was still seen as transitional as opposed to full-blown Southern.

That said, back to the topic, nobody has mentioned Baltimore's suburbs on here in that the metro is totally devoid of prestige. While Baltimore's highest highs aren't to the level of the others, they're still in pretty good company. Generally speaking, the nicest suburbs are along the corridors between Falls and York Road north of the city. Ruxton, just north of the city line, comes closest perhaps with regarding an old money/high society atmosphere, but it lacks public transportation, prestigious shopping, or even a private club. Its pretty much just upper middle class compared to what the best is offered in the other cities. You'll find isolated multimillion-dollar homes in those areas, but most are just high six figures to the lower half of the million dollar range. Towson Town Center, the nicest mall in Baltimore's suburbs, has a few marquee luxury retailers like Tiffany and Burberry, but honestly would be seen as just above mid-tier in the NYC metro. That said, it helps keep Baltimore as relatively low profile in terms of being very real and not pretentious that the other metros provide to varying degrees. Its clearly the most blue collar big city on the east coast due to the port and large public sector found there. I do feel that its "southern" location may have hurt its corporate standing to the point that by the time the Civil Rights era had arrived, the ship had sailed and Baltimore couldn't quite attract the top talent like the other cities could, with many of the best Baltimorians heading elsewhere (including DC).

Old 12-05-2020, 04:33 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Yea idk DC is still the south. As another poster said “the South” isn’t as traditional as we think of it anymore.

Old 12-05-2020, 04:41 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
And as always, you are the outlier in thinking that DC is a culturally southern city.

You've been at this for years so your curiosity is neverending I guess.

And I also guess you're once again very interested in DC again after stating you could care less about the place.
Why are you begging so much for Northeastern acceptance?

Old 12-05-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Why are you begging so much for Northeastern acceptance?
Nowhere did I say that DC was northeastern. I just said it lacks alot of traits that are commonly affiliated with the South.. it's a mix of both regions imo.

Old 12-05-2020, 04:48 PM

23 posts, read 25,625 times
I think it would be helpful to re-focus the conversation on the criteria, judging the suburbs in the poll based:

1. Housing
2. Nature/parks
3. Public transportation
4. Schools
5. COL
6. Amenities
7. Restaurants/cafes/bakeries
8. Shopping
9. Economy/jobs
10. Future outlook

Old 12-05-2020, 04:51 PM

16,691 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
You forgot one:

Southern United States

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

Deleware
Florida
Georgia
Maryland
Washington DC
Virginia

West Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Alabama
Kentucky
Mississippi
Tennessee
Arkansas
Louisiana
Oklahoma
Texas

Northern United States:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_United_States

Connecticut
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Maine
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Vermont
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Maryland isn’t the north, so it’s the south
I don’t think y’all understand—and please read more carefully:

DC, NOVA, and MD (including Baltimore) are not the South.

And everybody knows.

Old 12-05-2020, 04:53 PM

16,691 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
I have to admit, being from Michigan, this is generally how we view The North and The South.
Although, for anyone who has spent time in the Mid-Atlantic region, while Maryland, DC, and Virginia (Northern Virginia) are “technically” in The South, they definitely have an asterisk because they are not the traditional South in the way most people think of that region.

I admit that before I lived in Philly, I would not have known this (because prior to that I had only been to DC once as a young child). But going to college in Philly, I visited Baltimore, DC, and Northern Virginia several of times and they are not what I think of as “The South.” Although in fairness, they felt different to “The North” (Philly, NJ, and NYC. Which I am familiar with). So I think the best compromise is Mid Atlantic, even if they are technically in The South
An overall decent post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City