Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the top northeastern U.S. suburb?
Westchester County (Bronxville, Scarsdale, Rye, Larchmont) 17 12.69%
Main Line (Gladwyne, Villanova, Merion Station, Bryn Mawr, Haverford) 22 16.42%
Western Boston Suburbs (Newton, Wellesley, Dover, Weston) 25 18.66%
DC's MD Suburbs (Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Potomac) 11 8.21%
DC's VA Suburbs (McLean, Great Falls, Falls Church, Tyson's) 10 7.46%
North Shore, Long Island (Great Neck, Oyster Bay, Old Westbury) 10 7.46%
Gold Coast, CT (Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan) 39 29.10%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 03:12 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
They arent complete, but the poll is prestigious. I dont really consider NNJ Suburbs as prestigious as SWCT, Westchester, Main Line, Metro West Boston, North Shore Boston and even LI. But prestigious doesnt have to have a purely positive attribute.

MetroWest is just a continuous 40+ towns of inflated home prices, mansions, NIMBYist, classist a*hles and country clubs. NNJ is not like this, its definitely more inclusive and although until recently may have been just as wealthy, also had more diversity in its wealth. Even in towns like Short Hills and Summit. If they tried making MetroWest more urban, there would be another Battle of Lexington and Concord.

I dont mean to bash MetroWest, but to me its not even the nicest part of Greater Boston.
But the towns are all well-maintained, and don't have many amenities. A few pockets of more mundane middle class but still with inflated homevalues.

NJ is more inclusive yes but they're also more complete, neat, better acces to the city. Im saying they may not be as prestigious but they're better IMO. I think they're just as wealthy as MA towns. NJ does have a higher median income after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 11:28 PM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That's a solid argument. I am not as familiar with the Boston towns, but one positive for CT and the Main Line that sticks out to me is the connectivity, several towns that are a part of one large area. I am guessing the Boston burbs in this thread follow that setup. NNJ seems more disconnected (still very nice though).

The Main Line has similarities to West Chester and Gold Coast CT, but quintessential Pennsylvania in terms of the architecture and heavy use of field stone on most homes. I love stone homes and The Main Line has no shortage of those. The Main Line also has a main road (Lancaster Ave, Route 30) that takes you from one end to the other and it runs generally parallel with the train line. And there are several little downtowns every few miles surrounded by leafier streets. And of course there is a huge legacy of notable institutions, wealth, and an independent culture from other suburbs, but a little more understated than its CT counterpart.

NNJ lacks a lot of that. Now that I think about it, I would def place Metrowest Boston ahead of NNJ.
The thing about Boston's western suburbs is that they don't strike me as a coherent or even continuous whole the way the Main Line, southwest Fairfield County or LI's North Shore do. I'd say that the suburbs of North Jersey headed west and south from Montclair also hold together better, and Montclair is probably more urbane than the town centers of any Metrowest suburb save Brookline.

BTW, your inner Philadelphian-ness is showing with your using two words when you're speaking of the county north of the Bronx. That "Westchester" is just one word.

Old 02-08-2021, 11:26 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
[

The thing about Boston's western suburbs is that they don't strike me as a coherent or even continuous whole the way the Main Line, southwest Fairfield County or LI's North Shore do. I'd say that the suburbs of North Jersey headed west and south from Montclair also hold together better, and Montclair is probably more urbane than the town centers of any Metrowest suburb save Brookline.

BTW, your inner Philadelphian-ness is showing with your using two words when you're speaking of the county north of the Bronx. That "Westchester" is just one word.
I think that's fair. To be sure, there's definitely a significant amalgamation of abutting, wealthy towns in Metrowest (thinking of Brookline, Newton, Wellesley, Weston, Wayland, Lincoln, Sudbury, Concord, Carlisle, Lexington, Acton, Boxborough, Harvard, and Dover specifically, etc.).

But in comparison to the Main Line area, which tends to have pretty concrete geographical awareness (at least, in most cases) and has formed its identity literally from a pretty linear railroad corridor, Metrowest is a little more amorphous if you will, and not nearly as identifiable geographically.

The Main Line identity is also very "village" based, with inter or intra-municipal communities like Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Villanova, Wayne, etc., so I think that overlays some more overlapping cohesion, as well. This is in opposed to the New England City/Town structure, which is fiercely rigid and independent in character and often in practice. Township/Borough identity in Pennsylvania, while it obviously exists for local government, is generally more "fluid" in feel.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:11 PM

403 posts, read 295,700 times
I voted the Main Line, based on historical significance and name recognition.

The Gold Coast, CT & Gold Coast, NY and The Main Line all though are about equal to me in stature.

They are the bastions of Old Money in America (along with metrowest in the Northeast)

The Main Line, has some unique character with its predominate use of Pennsylvania Fieldstone Architecture, and its social clubs that highly reflect British traditions.

You have the Radnor Horse Show, The Radnor Hunt Club (Fox Hunting), The Brandywine Polo Club, Merion Cricket Club.

Im not saying the other prestigious suburbs listed above do not have a string of prominent social clubs. But The Main Lines are the most British in tradition.

Even The Main Line villages have a British flair with its village layout and stone house farm architecture.

Here is an example of a new construction custom home that really reflects the Main Line style.

https://pohligbuilders.com/residence...-at-ardrossan/

Even prominent $5 Million Plus new construction custom homes, reflect this Pennsylvania Fieldstone Farmhouse Architecture.

You really could think you were in the UK with large areas of it. It is, I would say the most unique of those in the poll and why I voted for it.

Last edited by Penna76; 02-08-2021 at 12:19 PM..

Old 02-08-2021, 12:34 PM

913 posts, read 560,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
This is in opposed to the New England City/Town structure, which is fiercely rigid and independent in character and often in practice.
You betcha.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:34 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
I’d have to go with Connecticut here. The suburbs are some of the most posh in the country, and the world. Even Main Line can’t compare with the six figure millionaire and billionaire status of many who live there.

Northern NJ should absolutely be on this list, too.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:37 PM

4,416 posts, read 5,149,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post

The Gold Coast, CT & Gold Coast, NY and The Main Line all though are about equal to me in stature.

They are the bastions of Old Money in America (along with metrowest in the Northeast)

The Main Line, has some unique character with its predominate use of Pennsylvania Fieldstone Architecture, and its social clubs that highly reflect British traditions.

You have the Radnor Horse Show, The Radnor Hunt Club (Fox Hunting), The Brandywine Polo Club, Merion Cricket Club.

Im not saying the other prestigious suburbs listed above do not have a string of prominent social clubs. But The Main Lines are the most British in tradition.

Even The Main Line villages have a British flair with its village layout and stone house farm architecture.

Here is an example of a new construction custom home that really reflects the Main Line style.

Even prominent $5 Million Plus new construction custom homes, reflect this Pennsylvania Fieldstone Farmhouse Architecture.

You really could think you were in the UK with large areas of it. It is, I would say the most unique of those in the poll and why I voted for it.

The Main Line definitely feels older than a lot of the others. Gold Coast LI and Westchester definitely have the British look but not quite the culture and feel excluding a few towns. Gold Coast, CT definitely has that British look and feel, along with a lot of big big bank accounts.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:49 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post

Massachusetts has no county government at all. The courts and some of the services are county based but cities and towns are all financially independent. They each have their own school system. They use zoning to keep the riffraff out. Any proposal for low income housing not targeted at seniors will be a fight to the death. High density housing even remotely affordable to the unwashed masses will be similarly opposed. It's how you have gold plated towns sharing a border with a disaster city or low income town with a horrible school system.

Anyways, I'd pick the top NYC tri-state suburbs since that's the most affluent city in the country. I have Vermont ski friends from all the fancy suburbs. It's splitting hairs picking between the best of North Jersey, Westchester, Nassau, and lower Fairfield. The financial industry is where all the money is. Do I have to pick one? I guess Greenwich.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:56 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Massachusetts has no county government at all. The courts and some of the services are county based but cities and towns are all financially independent. They each have their own school system. They use zoning to keep the riffraff out. Any proposal for low income housing not targeted at seniors will be a fight to the death. High density housing even remotely affordable to the unwashed masses will be similarly opposed. It's how you have gold plated towns sharing a border with a disaster city or low income town with a horrible school system.

Anyways, I'd pick the top NYC tri-state suburbs since that's the most affluent city in the country. I have Vermont ski friends from all the fancy suburbs. It's splitting hairs picking between the best of North Jersey, Westchester, Nassau, and lower Fairfield. The financial industry is where all the money is. Do I have to pick one? I guess Greenwich.
Weston Waltham

Old 02-08-2021, 01:25 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Yup I've been going up to Vermont for decades and more than a few of my trips were with the aforementioned described. I'll take Saddle River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City