Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the top northeastern U.S. suburb?
Westchester County (Bronxville, Scarsdale, Rye, Larchmont) 17 12.78%
Main Line (Gladwyne, Villanova, Merion Station, Bryn Mawr, Haverford) 22 16.54%
Western Boston Suburbs (Newton, Wellesley, Dover, Weston) 24 18.05%
DC's MD Suburbs (Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Potomac) 11 8.27%
DC's VA Suburbs (McLean, Great Falls, Falls Church, Tyson's) 10 7.52%
North Shore, Long Island (Great Neck, Oyster Bay, Old Westbury) 10 7.52%
Gold Coast, CT (Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan) 39 29.32%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 07:20 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
You were just getting on other people for going off topic, yet here you are again in the umpteenth thread hijacking it, arguing about North-South when that's not in the discussion nor relevant here for pages at a time.

The thread includes DC suburbs here, and DC as well as Baltimore are a part of the NE corridor so they can be compared. The OP is asking to compare the suburbs at the top. There really isn't much more to elaborate on.
You're right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 07:22 PM

741 posts, read 1,112,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
That's because it's part of both. It belongs to the Census designated South due to history, but logistically speaking, and connectivity wise is the endpoint/gateway to the NE. Everybody knows that, there's just certain posters on C-D who get a hard on debating about this. So as you've stated only one definitive term can be used as consensus the mid-Atlantic. It's ridiculous this is still being entertained for the umpteenth time in the umpteenth thread when that's not what the OP is about.
Agreed. I'm leaving it alone now. lol

Old 12-05-2020, 07:33 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigolights View Post
I think it would be helpful to re-focus the conversation on the criteria, judging the suburbs in the poll based:

1. Housing
2. Nature/parks
3. Public transportation
4. Schools
5. COL
6. Amenities
7. Restaurants/cafes/bakeries
8. Shopping
9. Economy/jobs
10. Future outlook
1. Housing Gold Coast
2. Nature/parks NNJ*
3. Public transportation *NNJ/Westchester
4. Schools MetroWest
5. COL NoVa
6. Amenities DC-MD/NNJ
7. Restaurants/cafes/bakeries
8. Shopping *NNJ
9. Economy/jobs MetroWest/NoVA
10. Future outlook NoVA

Old 12-05-2020, 10:24 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Since we seem to be stuck on this "Is Maryland Southern?" track:

I think I need to remind you all of these facts:

—The Mason-Dixon Line is the Maryland-Pennsylvania border
—Maryland, like my native Missouri, was split in two by the Civil War,. and its state flag was designed as a symbol of reconciliation between Union and Confederate supporters

BUT:

Even though Missouri's southern portion, and the Bootheel especially, are very much culturally Southern, I bristle when others call the entire state Southern, for it's not. Similarly, I'm still not sure I'd call Maryland's principal city "Southern" either for reasons I elaborated on above. Another poster noted that my remarks about Atlanta and Charlotte show that transformation is itself a Southern trait and threw Miami in for good measure, but Baltimore was industrial back before the Civil War, and back then, no other Southern city save Birmingham could be said to be an industrial center.

Edited to add: Guess I'm piling on. Mid-Atlantic pretty much squares the circle.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:30 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Since we seem to be stuck on this "Is Maryland Southern?" track:

I think I need to remind you all of these facts:

—The Mason-Dixon Line is the Maryland-Pennsylvania border
—Maryland, like my native Missouri, was split in two by the Civil War,. and its state flag was designed as a symbol of reconciliation between Union and Confederate supporters

BUT:

Even though Missouri's southern portion, and the Bootheel especially, are very much culturally Southern, I bristle when others call the entire state Southern, for it's not. Similarly, I'm still not sure I'd call Maryland's principal city "Southern" either for reasons I elaborated on above. Another poster noted that my remarks about Atlanta and Charlotte show that transformation is itself a Southern trait and threw Miami in for good measure, but Baltimore was industrial back before the Civil War, and back then, no other Southern city save Birmingham could be said to be an industrial center.

Edited to add: Guess I'm piling on. Mid-Atlantic pretty much squares the circle.
Birmingham was founded after the Civil War.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:47 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,371 times
Bump, the Maryland debate is always entertaining. Most folks from New England see something different about the state just like most folks from the Lower South see differing attributes. Can someone provide some sources on this South VA being from C'Ville on down? Never heard of it when I was in VA.

Speaking on the burbs, I like the DC burbs personally because of the blended elements otherwise I'd go with the Main Line.

Last edited by Chevalier de Saint-George; 12-06-2020 at 10:36 AM..

Old 12-06-2020, 09:59 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
If your from New England most what your first impression of Maryland (if not in MoCo) is it’s southern attributes(modern highways/strip plazas) and demography (black people). I realize I kinda hate living in and being in unincorporated areas.

Add to this much of Western Maryland and the Eastern Shore feels comfortably southern in both its white and black culture/speech/look.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:06 AM

82 posts, read 39,935 times
Can we please stop calling Fairfield County the "Gold Coast" in this thread? The phrase "Gold Coast" has always referred to certain parts of the North Shore of Long Island, no matter what magazine articles or real estate developers might try to tell you.

A few notes:

-- In general, both Fairfield County and Westchester seem and probably are more "prestigious" than Long Island and New Jersey, though there are plenty of great places in both of the latter two areas. I've always found Westchester far more charming than Fairfield County, but honestly if I had my choice I'd probably choose New Jersey or Long Island since I much prefer walkable towns (think Garden City on Long Island and South Orange or Chatham in New Jersey).

-- Neither Great Neck nor Oyster Bay really belong as examples of Long Island's "Gold Coast" North Shore, though the Kings Point section of Great Neck may have belonged 40+ years ago. The "fancy" areas are places like Muttontown, Lattingtown, Old Westbury. That said, these upper class areas are really just zip codes and lack all of the community and charm that you find in Long Island's more upper-middle class towns (Garden City, Manhasset, Port Washington, Cold Spring Harbor, etc). There are some mind-blowingly nice properties in places like Muttontown but I'd never want to raise my kids there.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:21 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatpants View Post
Can we please stop calling Fairfield County the "Gold Coast" in this thread? The phrase "Gold Coast" has always referred to certain parts of the North Shore of Long Island, no matter what magazine articles or real estate developers might try to tell you.

A few notes:

-- In general, both Fairfield County and Westchester seem and probably are more "prestigious" than Long Island and New Jersey, though there are plenty of great places in both of the latter two areas. I've always found Westchester far more charming than Fairfield County, but honestly if I had my choice I'd probably choose New Jersey or Long Island since I much prefer walkable towns (think Garden City on Long Island and South Orange or Chatham in New Jersey).

-- Neither Great Neck nor Oyster Bay really belong as examples of Long Island's "Gold Coast" North Shore, though the Kings Point section of Great Neck may have belonged 40+ years ago. The "fancy" areas are places like Muttontown, Lattingtown, Old Westbury. That said, these upper class areas are really just zip codes and lack all of the community and charm that you find in Long Island's more upper-middle class towns (Garden City, Manhasset, Port Washington, Cold Spring Harbor, etc). There are some mind-blowingly nice properties in places like Muttontown but I'd never want to raise my kids there.
Gold Coast
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_C...t)?wprov=sfti1

Gold Coast
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...d)?wprov=sfti1

Old 02-07-2021, 09:27 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatpants View Post

A few notes:

All 4 of these suburban areas of NYC Metro are great, no doubt. I grew up in northern Bergen County (NNJ) but have immediate and extended family in all three other areas. At the end of the day it just comes down to individual preferences nothing more. I love being in NNJ (now a Hudson resident) because I can pop in and out of Midtown in 10-15 minutes from where I live and so many other reasons. A few other nice ones similarly on the Island are Huntington and Syosset. Splitting hairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City