Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 03:17 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I definitely agree with SLC and Omaha. TONS of Californians are making their way to these two places because the QOL is quite high, while housing is so much more affordable.

I think Phoenix will still continue to grow, though housing is definitely going to slow down the heat a bit there. Housing is becoming a bit more expensive in Phoenix, not as expensive as SOCAL though, so we shall see.

Between Phoenix and Las Vegas, Vegas has the more adorable housing stock, so I would bet that metro grows at a faster clip.
Salt Lake City is the best metropolitan area I have been in my opinion except for the winter weather and severe winter air pollution.

Salt Lake City though is actually extremely expensive and actually more expensive than many California metropolitan areas.

Ogden will likely have a good decade though. For the most part it is much less expensive for the time being with lots of larger homes with Salt Lake and Ski areas close by.

Salt Lake City has skyrocketed on home prices, much of the Inland Empire of California is very inexpensive in comparison.

Omaha is a fantastic metropolitan area that has the amenities of many metropolitan areas that are much larger than Omaha. They have an excellent economy, lots of huge hospitals, lots of interesting neighborhoods and really good people. It also has interesting topography, architecture and is very lush from Spring till Fall.

Omaha though has one big disadvantage and that is the weather. I just can't imagine people rushing there for the weather, it's a northern city that has on average four to five months of a very humid cold and it also rains alot during the warmer months.

Las Vegas and Phoenix are fairly similar on price. Las Vegas has a larger percentage of the area that is affordable though it seems. Las Vegas has a larger area of fairly affordable condos near the center of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 03:49 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
This thread is about rising stars. I am not saying Austin and Denver are in any sort of decline.

I am saying they have matured and grown into themselves, and now have a bit of the growing pains for growing so quickly.

Housing costs, Traffic, Lack of infrastructure, etc.

Both cities are taking steps to address the infrastructure challenges, but they are no longer rising stars. They have definitely matured into Class B/B- cities.
Austin just approved a massive infrastructure bill for a light rail system.

Old 12-05-2020, 05:44 PM

358 posts, read 620,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Memphis would require some pretty major clean up.
Yeah, I agree. I don't know if I agree with the inclusion of Memphis on that list.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:40 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Cities like Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham come to mind. These cities/regions in North Carolina, seem to continue to slowly and steadily grow and develop over the decades.
There isn't anything slow & steady about the growth in these two NC metros. They are flaming hot.
They will also no doubt continue to carry the lion's share of the growth for the state through the 2020s. Raleigh in particular is going to look a lot different by the end of the 20s. There's just a massive amount of development energy pouring into the city and county. I don't share the optimism that others have shared about Winston-Salem or Greensboro. These two cities might qualify for the slow and steady moniker, but I don't see them becoming rising stars over the next 9 years.

I think that there's generally a lot of wishful thinking in this thread. Honestly, I think that many of the fast growing metros of the 2010s will remain fast growing through this decade as well. I can imagine some of the newer kids on the block, regarding recent growth, including Boise, Cape Coral/Ft. Myers, Madison, and Grand Rapids being more in the category of rising stars.

Old 12-05-2020, 11:02 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Yeah, the Triad seems like a stretch at this point. It’s main things going for it are cost of living and it has theoretically has the same basic dna makeup that its neighbors the Triangle and Charlotte have going for it. But as with genetics, it’s that final 1% that makes all the difference. And I don’t think you will see the job market mature at anything close to the rate for it to capture much more than it is getting at the moment.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:13 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Yeah, the Triad seems like a stretch at this point. It’s main things going for it are cost of living and it has theoretically has the same basic dna makeup that its neighbors the Triangle and Charlotte have going for it. But as with genetics, it’s that final 1% that makes all the difference. And I don’t think you will see the job market mature at anything close to the rate for it to capture much more than it is getting at the moment.
Triangle (Raleigh/Durham):
2000: 1,312,478
2019: 2,079,687 (+767,209 or +58.5%)

Triad (Greensboro/W-S):
2000: 1,414,682
2019: 1,689,151 (+274,469 or +19.4%)

Metrolina (Charlotte):
2000: 1,897,136
2019: 2,797,636 (+900,500 or +47.5%)

The Triad isn't sitting still by any means, but it looks lethargic in comparison by raw numbers and percentage growth.
Of the combined 1,667,709 growth from Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham, nearly 900,000 of that came from just the core counties of Raleigh (Wake) and Charlotte (Mecklenburg). Both of these will continue to be among the rising cities of this decade.

If we look at emerging trends around the country, one would suspect that Florida and Texas, are the most likely places to provide a brand new rising star since those two states are adding the most people year over year. The Carolinas seem like the next likely place where a new rising star could emerge. It's really only been in the last decade or so that Charleston has garnered some attention, and the Myrtle Beach > Wilmington corridor is posting some significant growth as well.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:28 AM

329 posts, read 635,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
Yeah, I agree. I don't know if I agree with the inclusion of Memphis on that list.
Downtown Memphis alone have Multi-Billions in development projects underway. Memphis in the last 10 years been on the uptick economically and investments.

Old 12-06-2020, 01:13 PM

73 posts, read 115,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Triangle (Raleigh/Durham):
2000: 1,312,478
2019: 2,079,687 (+767,209 or +58.5%)

Triad (Greensboro/W-S):
2000: 1,414,682
2019: 1,689,151 (+274,469 or +19.4%)

Metrolina (Charlotte):
2000: 1,897,136
2019: 2,797,636 (+900,500 or +47.5%)

The Triad isn't sitting still by any means, but it looks lethargic in comparison by raw numbers and percentage growth.
Of the combined 1,667,709 growth from Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham, nearly 900,000 of that came from just the core counties of Raleigh (Wake) and Charlotte (Mecklenburg). Both of these will continue to be among the rising cities of this decade.

If we look at emerging trends around the country, one would suspect that Florida and Texas, are the most likely places to provide a brand new rising star since those two states are adding the most people year over year. The Carolinas seem like the next likely place where a new rising star could emerge. It's really only been in the last decade or so that Charleston has garnered some attention, and the Myrtle Beach > Wilmington corridor is posting some significant growth as well.
NC is Ohio on steroids with better weather, beach, and a better economy. Seems like there are many OH tags in NC these days. The other day I was in Wheeling, WV and Belmont, OH area, I saw the gleaming Charlotte skyline painted on 2 local downtown buses. Not sure why it was there or if it had anything to do with visitNC tourism outreach. They could have painted the Pittsburgh skyline instead.

Old 12-07-2020, 06:26 AM

1,021 posts, read 910,624 times
Richmond

Old 12-07-2020, 09:00 AM

561 posts, read 513,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

Omaha is a fantastic metropolitan area that has the amenities of many metropolitan areas that are much larger than Omaha. They have an excellent economy, lots of huge hospitals, lots of interesting neighborhoods and really good people. It also has interesting topography, architecture and is very lush from Spring till Fall.

Omaha though has one big disadvantage and that is the weather. I just can't imagine people rushing there for the weather, it's a northern city that has on average four to five months of a very humid cold and it also rains alot during the warmer months.
Regarding your weather commentary- Baloney. First of all, Omaha is NOT a “northern city”.. Unless you consider it’s located pretty much in the breadbasket of the US as Northern, lol. Second, the weather is not that bad here at all. We get 4 seasons, minimal snow compared to actual northern cities, the Great Lakes region and the north east..

Other than that, you’re right- Omaha is a fantastic metropolitan area and is seeing nice, robust growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City