Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 10:47 AM

422 posts, read 396,339 times

Advertisements

Sacramento is on it's way up. Tons of development and positive traction going on in the city and the future is looking bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 11:20 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
You’re entitled to your opinion. But I completely disagree.

Along with Omaha and Nebraska having less harsh winters than Minnesota or Wisconsin, the state does have its share of unique “natural amenities” such as the sand hill region in central Nebraska, the foothill area in western Nebraska..and in eastern Nebraska, the terrain and outdoor offerings are vastly underrated and not enough (for me at least) to move into a true “frozen tundra” state like Minnesota or Wisconsin. But to each their own.

Regarding high taxes, in Omaha in particular, property taxes are high..but everything else, on balance, is lower. So from a cost of living standpoint, I’d do better in Omaha.. Which is a growing city/metro on the move, jobs aplenty, a diversified economy and all the major city amenities you’d want, without much of the major city hassle.

In the end, it’s all about personal preference and again, to each their own.
What interesting type of housing developments does Omaha have? From perusing Google Maps it appears 70-80% of the metro area is generic suburban housing on small lots with little significant tree cover. Yes, most people don't like the wind, I purposely moved further east to be done with the nonstop wind permanently. The Sand Hills region is an acquired taste, it just doesn't attract very much in the way of tourism, and is extremely remote, even for people that aren't intimidated by rural areas. Minnesota and Wisconsin are not very cold in the winter most of the time anymore, they might get a very cold winter once every 5 years or so. Also, Nebraska has no nice lakes compared to northern areas of Minnesota and Wisconsin, that is a big deal.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:30 PM

561 posts, read 513,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
What interesting type of housing developments does Omaha have? From perusing Google Maps it appears 70-80% of the metro area is generic suburban housing on small lots with little significant tree cover. Yes, most people don't like the wind, I purposely moved further east to be done with the nonstop wind permanently. The Sand Hills region is an acquired taste, it just doesn't attract very much in the way of tourism, and is extremely remote, even for people that aren't intimidated by rural areas. Minnesota and Wisconsin are not very cold in the winter most of the time anymore, they might get a very cold winter once every 5 years or so. Also, Nebraska has no nice lakes compared to northern areas of Minnesota and Wisconsin, that is a big deal.
The Omaha metro has some interesting mixed use retail and housing developments in the suburbs and within the city core- here is a link with a description of 9 of them-

https://omaha.com/special_sections/o...55505cdbd.html

As far as the wind in Omaha, it’s waaay overblown. I’ve lived in Dallas and Omaha and there is really no major wind difference. And the Sandhill region may be an acquired taste for some, but it’s hardly in remote isolation and is very popular.. Especially during the time the Sandhill Cranes come for their annual visit. There are lakes in Nebraska and they are quite nice. Of course there are more of them in Minnesota.

And what you say about winters in further north states like Minnesota and Wisconsin, can also be said for further south Nebraska.

In all, I believe (at least it’s the sense I get) you’re short changing Omaha and Nebraska..without the benefit of actually visiting for a significant period of time. But, like I said earlier, you have your preference. I would not make sweeping generalizations about a city/state without spending at least a significant amount of time (at least a week or 2) for a visit. I, for example, know little about Wisconsin except for one short business trip to Milwaukee a few years back..so I tend to not speak on Wisconsin. But I have heard nice things.

Peace...

Last edited by Mighty Joe Young; 12-29-2020 at 01:40 PM..

Old 12-29-2020, 02:16 PM

445 posts, read 413,792 times
Harrisburg, PA. Affordable and close proximity to so many other major metros in the Northeast. It's been humming along for the past few years but I think the metro is set to really grow in the next decade.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:19 PM

445 posts, read 413,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
Lancaster is far more historic than Frederick. Lancaster is one of the oldest inland cities in the USA that can rival anything in New England.

Lancaster also is home to two Universities and one that is quite elite. Franklin & Marshall.

And Lancaster has direct high frequency rail service to Philadelphia (less than an hour) and NYC.

Also Lancaster is adjacent to Chester County, PA and less than an hour from The Main Line one of the wealthiest old money regions in the nation.

Add on the absolutely beautiful countryside surrounding Lancaster City.

Lancaster beats out Frederick any day of the week.

You mention wealthier and cleaner? Lancaster has both an Apple Store and Whole Foods.

Frederick certainly does not.

Lancaster is very similar to Asheville. It is the best kept secret in the
Mid Atlantic.
Lancaster is doing well, no doubt. But soon (and already in some townships) they are really going to be hitting the brakes on suburban sprawl to preserve farmland and heritage. Lancaster County has one of the best farmland preservation programs in the state. It's going to be up to Lancaster city to continue to drive growth in the area so hopefully, people there don't get too NIMBY.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:19 PM

403 posts, read 295,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
Harrisburg, PA. Affordable and close proximity to so many other major metros in the Northeast. It's been humming along for the past few years but I think the metro is set to really grow in the next decade.

I agree with this. Harrisburg and Lancaster have been on fire the past 5 years especially. 100% off the radar, but still growing impressively. Both metros while independent are only about 45 minutes from one another and combined are over 1 Million in population.

Marketing all its assets as the Susquehanna Valley, could really bring some major job growth too. The economy is already quite diversified there. It just needs some more tech growth.

Harrisburg and Lancaster are centrally located less than two hours to Philadelphia, DC and Baltimore and only about 3 hour from the shore and NYC.

I also believe the Lehigh Valley is going to see impressive growth too, given its proximity to both NYC and Philadelphia and its growing array of impressive amenities.

Old 12-30-2020, 03:50 PM

210 posts, read 199,087 times
I just don't understand people's obsession with Winston and Greensboro in NC; It's clear many of you have never spent significant time there. I grew up there and moved back and forth between them for the first 25 years of my life and my parents still live in the area. I'm 30 living in Charlotte now.

For cities of their sizes, they are downright boring with nothing to do outside of chain restaurants, stores, a tolerable bar scene at best if you're younger, some minor league baseball, and a couple of historical attractions. Cost of living, retirement, or a job opportunity are the only reasons I would ever recommend anyone to move to the Triad area.

Old 12-31-2020, 05:45 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarino View Post
I just don't understand people's obsession with Winston and Greensboro in NC; It's clear many of you have never spent significant time there. I grew up there and moved back and forth between them for the first 25 years of my life and my parents still live in the area. I'm 30 living in Charlotte now.

For cities of their sizes, they are downright boring with nothing to do outside of chain restaurants, stores, a tolerable bar scene at best if you're younger, some minor league baseball, and a couple of historical attractions. Cost of living, retirement, or a job opportunity are the only reasons I would ever recommend anyone to move to the Triad area.
Greensboro and Winston-Salem are pretty representative of cities in their weight class in terms of things to do. And they certainly have more to do than what you listed, even if those things don't appeal to you personally (college and other minor league sports, various sporting/special events at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex, visual arts/special events in Winston, GHOE/WSSU homecoming, performing arts, various museums, NC Zoo, Wet 'n Wild, annual festivals, etc.). Cities of similar size like Charleston and Asheville are anomalies with their geographical locations being huge advantages, and it's just downright unfair to compare them to much larger cities like Charlotte. I totally get the appeal of living in a city Charlotte's size with more things to do, but that doesn't mean the Triad cities have next to nothing. Your familiarity with the region as a native plays a big role as well in terms of your attitude towards it. It's always a funny thing when outsiders see the value in cities that natives can be oblivious to due to familiarity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City