Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 10:47 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Omaha's climate and weather is a joke, just like Kansas City's climate. Extreme temperature swings, often prone to seeing longer periods of drought with little rain, featureless winters with little natural greenery and zero coniferous trees unless they're planted, and awful hot and humid summers. Let's not go into the awful levels of wind either that most people do not enjoy.
I think you are being a bit "harsh" on Nebraska in general ....... but the idea that winters aren't "harsh" just ain't true.

And as you said, it's the frickin' wind in this part of the country that is so bad. Last week here in Oklahoma (which has the same issues with wind as Omaha if not worse) it was in the low 40's but the wind chill was 15 degrees.

Snow and temps aren't the terrible problem here on the plains. But the wind is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 10:48 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,715,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I'll play devils advocate and say Detroit & Baltimore are going to go through a major revitalization going into the new decade
I'll play reality's advocate and say Baltimore keeps getting worse. Unless you're cheering for an increase in abandoned buildings.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:51 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I'll play reality's advocate and say Baltimore keeps getting worse. Unless you're cheering for an increase in abandoned buildings.

You're neurotic. We get it.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:06 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,422,738 times
Quote:
I'll play devils advocate and say Detroit & Baltimore are going to go through a major revitalization going into the new decade
Detroit has been undergoing a pretty incredible revitalization already--over the course of the past 6-8 years. Midtown and downtown have had a phenomenal amount of new and existing redevelopment.

https://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/2...elopments.html

I think it's safe to say that the core business districts in Detroit are coming back nicely with investments and new developments. The neighborhoods outside of the core business districts are what have been destroyed, and practically remain that way, with minimal improvements other than the tear-downs of abandoned homes and businesses.

As for Baltimore, I am not familiar enough with the city to say.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:38 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Detroit has been undergoing a pretty incredible revitalization already--over the course of the past 6-8 years. Midtown and downtown have had a phenomenal amount of new and existing redevelopment.

I think it's safe to say that the core business districts in Detroit are coming back nicely with investments and new developments. The neighborhoods outside of the core business districts are what have been destroyed, and practically remain that way, with minimal improvements other than the tear-downs of abandoned homes and businesses.

I'm really looking forward to watching what goes down in Motor City. Such history behind it that it deserves a rebirth not to sound cliche

Baltimore's big issues atm are retaining white collar jobs and brining its crime rate down. That being said, its economy is healthy and growing and substantial amount of investment is being put into it on a city wide scale.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:07 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

Despite extensive blight and prolific violent crime within their respective city limits, both Baltimore and Detroit are located in states that are generally safe and quite wealthy. Typically, people have low opinions of Maryland and Michigan because of the troubled urban ghettos in those states. However, I find the suburban and exurban areas of both Maryland and Michigan to be generally clean, orderly and well-manicured, which is highly disparate from, say, Pennsylvania or West Virginia. While I am uncertain if Baltimore and Detroit will ever fully recover, I can see the respective metropolitan areas of these cities attracting domestic and foreign migrants in the years to come.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:44 AM

561 posts, read 513,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Nebraska is a generally very insular with a bad climate and high taxes for what you get. If I'm going to pay higher taxes and live in the Midwest, Minnesota and Wisconsin offer far more in the natural amenities category alone, and Nebraska offers just about nothing in comparison.
You’re entitled to your opinion. But I completely disagree.

Along with Omaha and Nebraska having less harsh winters than Minnesota or Wisconsin, the state does have its share of unique “natural amenities” such as the sand hill region in central Nebraska, the foothill area in western Nebraska..and in eastern Nebraska, the terrain and outdoor offerings are vastly underrated and not enough (for me at least) to move into a true “frozen tundra” state like Minnesota or Wisconsin. But to each their own.

Regarding high taxes, in Omaha in particular, property taxes are high..but everything else, on balance, is lower. So from a cost of living standpoint, I’d do better in Omaha.. Which is a growing city/metro on the move, jobs aplenty, a diversified economy and all the major city amenities you’d want, without much of the major city hassle.

In the end, it’s all about personal preference and again, to each their own.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:51 AM

403 posts, read 295,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I think nearby Frederick, MD has both Baltimore, MD and Lancaster, PA beat. The amount of new commercial and residential development in Frederick is quite shocking, especially since Frederick is not known to have a broad, diversified economic base, unless I am mistaken. Also, because Frederick is located in MD instead of PA, Frederick is cleaner, newer, wealthier and better-connected to the highly influential, very wealthy Washington, DC metropolitan area than Lancaster.

Lancaster is far more historic than Frederick. Lancaster is one of the oldest inland cities in the USA that can rival anything in New England.

Lancaster also is home to two Universities and one that is quite elite. Franklin & Marshall.

And Lancaster has direct high frequency rail service to Philadelphia (less than an hour) and NYC.

Also Lancaster is adjacent to Chester County, PA and less than an hour from The Main Line one of the wealthiest old money regions in the nation.

Add on the absolutely beautiful countryside surrounding Lancaster City.

Lancaster beats out Frederick any day of the week.

You mention wealthier and cleaner? Lancaster has both an Apple Store and Whole Foods.

Frederick certainly does not.

Lancaster is very similar to Asheville. It is the best kept secret in the
Mid Atlantic.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
You're neurotic. We get it.
Personal attacks now?

There is no indication, metric, or anything showing Baltimore is halting its 70 year decline. Old skyline, population loss in Baltimore City is accelerating, population in the metro area is now decreasing, very little office space downtown, nearly 10% of all homes are abandoned - over 2x the percentage of St. Louis and Cleveland. And this is all before the obvious crime situation.

This is Baltimore's present, and with 16,000 abandoned buildings to go, it's also its future...

Old 12-28-2020, 11:47 AM

Cheaper housing isn't enough anymore, faster growing cities typically have some lifestyle benefits.

Nashville
Denver
Boise
Austin...even with rising housing costs
Salt Lake
Miami - attracting Californians, not just New Yorkers now

among smaller places - New Braunfels, TX - historic town in between Austin and San Antonio, as large now as Asheville, NC and growing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City