Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 07:39 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
Let me correct you a bit- only one winter (2018-2019) in the past 11 years has Omaha’s total winter snowfall reached or exceeded 31 inches. Last winter Omaha only got 9 inches all winter. It varies, but the metro has been averaging less than 29 inches of snow per winter over the last 11 years.

As to Omaha’s climate- it’s a typical Great Plains Continental climate. Omaha is pretty much in the center of the country. Not northern..as opposed to the Dakota’s, Minneapolis, the states of Minnesota Wisconsin, Michigan, eastern Ohio and Western NY- Even Chicago etc.. All these ares are colder, snowier and more “northern” than the Omaha metropolitan area.
Omaha's climate and weather is a joke, just like Kansas City's climate. Extreme temperature swings, often prone to seeing longer periods of drought with little rain, featureless winters with little natural greenery and zero coniferous trees unless they're planted, and awful hot and humid summers. Let's not go into the awful levels of wind either that most people do not enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 08:46 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
For the record, NC sends more people to Ohio's major cities than the other way around, though NC gains more overall. It seems NC attracts mostly from Ohio's more rural, less educated and older areas. That probably means HS graduates and retirees go to NC from Ohio, but Ohio's cities are gaining NC's younger, more diverse and well-educated population.

I'd be happy with that trade off if I were Ohio.

The Census is also estimating NC to have grown by about 500,000 fewer people than during the 2000s. I would also suggest that in a thread about what cities may be stars in the 2020s, NC's may not make the cut, as they were arguably already hyped in decades past and wouldn't qualify as being new to that list. They may also be slowing down.
Can you share where you are getting that data set? i'd love to look at that. I am one of those geeks who comes to this site because I actually like looking at the city-data
Thanks.

Old 12-25-2020, 09:10 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
For the record, NC sends more people to Ohio's major cities than the other way around, though NC gains more overall. It seems NC attracts mostly from Ohio's more rural, less educated and older areas. That probably means HS graduates and retirees go to NC from Ohio, but Ohio's cities are gaining NC's younger, more diverse and well-educated population.

The Census is also estimating NC to have grown by about 500,000 fewer people than during the 2000s. I would also suggest that in a thread about what cities may be stars in the 2020s, NC's may not make the cut, as they were arguably already hyped in decades past and wouldn't qualify as being new to that list. They may also be slowing down.
https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur...Table_2019.xls

https://www.ncdemography.org/2019/10...net-migration/

For every 2 Ohioans that moved to NC in 2019, 1 North Carolinian moved there. Also the major counties and suburbs are accounting for almost all migration growth in NC. Unsure where you are getting the more granular information, but on the surface it sounds wrong.

Also, of the 20 largest states by population, NC grew 5th fastest this past decade. Behind only Florida, Texas, Arizona, and Washington. It’s grew about 170% faster than the US as a whole (Ohio grew at a fifth of the US). There is no sign NC is slowing down relative to Ohio or the US.

Last edited by Heel82; 12-25-2020 at 09:57 AM..

Old 12-25-2020, 11:09 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:

Where's your source for this? Also I wouldn't doubt that a lot of migration from NC to OH consists of former transplants returning home.

Quote:
The growth rate of the U.S. overall is slowing down so there's no surprise there.

Old 12-25-2020, 01:52 PM

807 posts, read 689,209 times
Greensboro seems to have most of the pieces in place to heat up quickly - good road network, convenient to all other major NC metros, several universities, and a number of notable recent entertainment additions such as the baseball stadium and performing arts center. Its main downside is that it is between two other incredibly fast-growing metros. However, if it can continue to grow and expand its economy, I think it won't be long before it really begins to benefit from Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte becoming more and more expensive to live in.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:27 PM

10,060 posts, read 14,430,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereoutthere15 View Post
It's amazing to see. As I recently posted in another thread, Memphis really is turning a corner and I can't wait to see what it'll look like post-pandemic.
Yep, totally agree. Had the pandemic not happened, there would be several huge construction sites underway already in Memphis, with The Walk on Union new development and Loews Hotel, and possibly the Pinch District.

Memphis has totally revamped their waterfront park too, and continue to have a plan to revamp Mud Island. With the cities' museum proposal of a brand new facility upcoming too, tons of other development happening city-wide, Memphis is finally starting to churn project after project into a reality.

Memphis has far too much culture and is far too amazing of a city full of friendly people to consistently lag behind in many metrics over the years.

I think it will be changing for the better this decade.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:59 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
Let me correct you a bit- only one winter (2018-2019) in the past 11 years has Omaha’s total winter snowfall reached or exceeded 31 inches. Last winter Omaha only got 9 inches all winter. It varies, but the metro has been averaging less than 29 inches of snow per winter over the last 11 years.

As to Omaha’s climate- it’s a typical Great Plains Continental climate. Omaha is pretty much in the center of the country. Not northern..as opposed to the Dakota’s, Minneapolis, the states of Minnesota Wisconsin, Michigan, eastern Ohio and Western NY- Even Chicago etc.. All these ares are colder, snowier and more “northern” than the Omaha metropolitan area.
Nebraska is a generally very insular with a bad climate and high taxes for what you get. If I'm going to pay higher taxes and live in the Midwest, Minnesota and Wisconsin offer far more in the natural amenities category alone, and Nebraska offers just about nothing in comparison.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:22 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
Greensboro seems to have most of the pieces in place to heat up quickly - good road network, convenient to all other major NC metros, several universities, and a number of notable recent entertainment additions such as the baseball stadium and performing arts center. Its main downside is that it is between two other incredibly fast-growing metros. However, if it can continue to grow and expand its economy, I think it won't be long before it really begins to benefit from Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte becoming more and more expensive to live in.
Greensboro is structurally sound outside the job market, which is functional yet lacking.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:34 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times
I'll play devils advocate and say Detroit & Baltimore are going to go through a major revitalization going into the new decade

Old 12-27-2020, 10:44 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I think Lancaster, Pennsylvania is a huge contender to be the next Asheville. It is growing like crazy with, mostly creative types who want a more affordable, yet vibrant community. Its metro is nearly 500,000 people.

Lancaster recently opened a Whole Foods and has had an Apple Store for some time, to show its rising image and amenities. And it has Amtrak service to Philadelphia (only 60 minutes away) and a direct connection to NYC (2.25 hours away).

Tait Towers Studio Production company is in Lancaster, and all the likes from Lady Gaga, U2, Usher, Beyonce, Elton John, Justin Timberlake, Katy Perry all use this production company for their worldwide tours, and are often seen walking the city when rehearsing. Its actually really cool and a very pretty area with charming historic architecture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I'll play devils advocate and say Detroit & Baltimore are going to go through a major revitalization going into the new decade
I think nearby Frederick, MD has both Baltimore, MD and Lancaster, PA beat. The amount of new commercial and residential development in Frederick is quite shocking, especially since Frederick is not known to have a broad, diversified economic base, unless I am mistaken. Also, because Frederick is located in MD instead of PA, Frederick is cleaner, newer, wealthier and better-connected to the highly influential, very wealthy Washington, DC metropolitan area than Lancaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City